About Oconee State Park

After hours of scrolling through nature photos and majestic mountains, the urge to get out and explore is hard to ignore. We applaud the explorers and adventurers of the world who brave the treacherous elements, as well as the sweet photos that come as a result. However, for many the ideal of a fun weekend away consists less of roughing it, and more relaxing on a beach or in a warm cabin. If you’re in the latter of these groups, you’re going to love Oconee State Park.

Oconee is the idealistic place for families and friends looking for a nostalgic getaway complete with rustic charm and character. Dotted throughout the park are rustic, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Cabins available for nightly and weekly rental. Meanwhile, a small, glassy lake lazily invites campers to disrupt its reflection with the canoes and kayaks located on shore.

The Greenville region is known for 25+ waterfalls found throughout. Closer in, the 1,100+ acre state park hosts a number of wooded nature trails snake throughout. It also serves as the trailhead for South Carolina’s 77 miles Foothills Trail. Friends and families visiting can enjoy the local wildlife, as well as the regional flora and fauna which proudly thrive in abundance.

In the summer Lake Oconee comes alive, creating the backdrop for unforgettable family vacations. Festivities begin in June, including Square Dancing, mini golf, pedal boating competitions, and so much more. However the Winter Months are just as enjoyable if you don’t mind getting cozy in a warm cabin, sipping some coco, and reading a good book. The rangers here are known for their hospitality, and are knowledgeable on the area. Stop in their lodge for a small convenience store, firewood, and great conversations.

Oconee offers all the benefits of a mountain resort without the upscale pricing. There are 140+ sites available for rent, starting at just $21/night. Cabins and lodging is available but pricing is dependent on group sizes and room choice, so be sure plan out your trip in advance before coming.

Hike In
Oconee State Park is located in South Carolina
15 Reviews of Oconee State Park
Really nice campground

Really nice campground, lots of trails. But way to many geese there. They have put putting, a small game area. Plenty to do.

Great Place To Get Away

A large but secluded campground in the foot of the Appalachian mountains. The people at the park were very friendly and the park well kept. The lake was nice and provided a beautiful background for cool evenings watching the fireflies. Although we did not take advantage of some of the amenities, my wife went swimming and I went hiking a few times. I can’t vouch for the swimming area, but the hiking trails were well marked and maintained.

The facilities all worked as they should, and the park trash pickup came by at least a couple of times a day.

Do be aware that you will be out of touch when you stay here. There is almost no cell coverage, and wifi (weak wi-if) is only available at the office.

This campground is a welcome getaway. We will be back!

Great campground

Lots of activities, decent bath houses, large sites, fairly private

Tightly packed but beautiful

I've stayed in the regular drive-in spots as well as the walk-in spots at this campground. Most recently, I stayed in the walk-in tent spots with a large group. There was enough space that we did not feel that we were encroaching on other groups, though when I've stayed in the other spots it feels cramped. Walking to the bathroom from the walk-in spots is a long walk and parking is limited. It is very cute, old-fashioned, and family-friendly.

Family-friendly with little privacy

Campground is very family-friendly! Definitely a campground to bring your bikes to ride around in. Campground has a small playground and store. Some campsites are way too small, even for people staying in tents; however, changing sites was easy. Issaqueena Falls is a MUST see only 11 minutes from the State Park. Enjoyed our time, met some nice people since campsites were so close. We would go back!

Nice place to stay.

So I came right when the office was closing and the park range was so nice to unlock and boot up her computer to get me a site to camp for the night.. I got a site by the lake which was made definitely made for campers and not for tents. Was hard to find a flat site and ended up sleeping on a small incline. I did not check out much of the park since it was dark and I got up early In the morning to hit the smokies but from what I seen the park is very beautiful and I will come back. Also visit the lake a dusk to watch the bats.

Not a ton of separation from other campgrounds

As another reviewer stated, there is not a ton of separation from other sites, but this is a great campground. Some sites were closed while we were there because the forest service was going through and trimming dead limbs that were overhanging.

Cabins where amazing!

I had a wonderful opportunity to spend a couple of days at a cabin with friends for a workshop. It was incredibly secluded and quiet. We had a great place to hang hammocks near the fire pit and small trails behind the cabin to explore. We took this chance to go “snipe hunting”! Unfortunately no pictures to share. I also highly recommend stopping by the local fish hatchery, not only educational but fascinating as well!

Pretty, well-maintained, hiking & water sports

Great spot for all kinds of boating and water sports.

Close to other parks with waterfalls and hiking trails.

Beautiful!

Situated on a lake. Campgrounds were close together with not enough trees for sound barriers but plenty of trees for hammocks. Some campers did not follow quiet hours and we had to ask them to quiet down.