Equestrian
About Oconee

After hours of scrolling through nature photos and majestic mountains, the urge to get out and explore is hard to ignore. We applaud the explorers and adventurers of the world who brave the treacherous elements, as well as the sweet photos that come as a result. However, for many the ideal of a fun weekend away consists less of roughing it, and more relaxing on a beach or in a warm cabin. If you’re in the latter of these groups, you’re going to love Oconee State Park.

Oconee is the idealistic place for families and friends looking for a nostalgic getaway complete with rustic charm and character. Dotted throughout the park are rustic, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Cabins available for nightly and weekly rental. Meanwhile, a small, glassy lake lazily invites campers to disrupt its reflection with the canoes and kayaks located on shore.

The Greenville region is known for 25+ waterfalls found throughout. Closer in, the 1,100+ acre state park hosts a number of wooded nature trails snake throughout. It also serves as the trailhead for South Carolina’s 77 miles Foothills Trail. Friends and families visiting can enjoy the local wildlife, as well as the regional flora and fauna which proudly thrive in abundance.

In the summer Lake Oconee comes alive, creating the backdrop for unforgettable family vacations. Festivities begin in June, including Square Dancing, mini golf, pedal boating competitions, and so much more. However the Winter Months are just as enjoyable if you don’t mind getting cozy in a warm cabin, sipping some coco, and reading a good book. The rangers here are known for their hospitality, and are knowledgeable on the area. Stop in their lodge for a small convenience store, firewood, and great conversations.

Oconee offers all the benefits of a mountain resort without the upscale pricing. There are 140+ sites available for rent, starting at just $21/night. Cabins and lodging is available but pricing is dependent on group sizes and room choice, so be sure plan out your trip in advance before coming.

Hike In
No Alchohol
Oconee is located in South Carolina
24 Reviews of Oconee
A fun get away in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains

One of the gems of the Palmetto State. Oconee has a variety of hiking trails and private, wooded campsites. The fishing lake has a netted swimming area and the option to rent kayaks and paddle boats. The replica of the historic water wheel is a must see! Be sure to stop at the visitors center for free WiFi because you won't have a cell signal anywhere else :-)

State Park Close to Waterfalls

When I stayed here, there were very few campers. Part of the reason was that school had started, and it was during the middle of the week. That was a good thing since there is limited privacy between the sites. I say limited, but compared to most campgrounds, there is a lot more privacy than some that have very little space between sites. The sites are well shaded, there is electricity and water, there are picnic tables, and lantern poles. The sites are gravel, which is fine for RVs but not necessarily for tent campers. However, there is a separate group tent section. The only other thing I didn’t like about staying here were the mosquitoes, but that’s to be expected in this environment. There are a lot of things to do. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to explore everything, and the beach area was closed. There are two lakes, so I could go fishing and/or kayaking. During the season, peddle boats and canoes are available for rent. There is a really nice playground area for children. When I go back the next time, hopefully with grandchildren, they will take full advantage of that. What really surprised me was the condition of the bath rooms. It was modern and up to date with tiled floors. I felt as if I were in an exclusive resort. There is also a camper recreation building, along with a community building for special events. The trading post is interesting looking with an old ca. 1930s gas pump out front. There is quite a bit of history at this state park. Not only is there a CCC dedication with statue and plaque, but there is also a plaque recognizing the treaty with the Cherokee moving the frontier boundary into what is now Oconee County. The possibilities at this campground seem endless. There is mini-golf, a wildlife habitat, and lots of trails(including the Palmetto Trail), a fishing pier, and one of my favorites—the waterwheel. Overall, I spent too little time here to enjoy it all, but I will definitely want to come back. The only downsides are the gravel for the tents and the minimum two-day reservation system.

Not my favorite

We stayed a weekend. This campground while advertised as a tent friendly.. is definitely more comfortably set up for campers. I also felt the sites were on top of each other. The sites that sit on the water are more of a novelty as you can’t get in the water. There is a swimming area… but it sits way at the end of the park.. no sites near. Trash pick up is nice, but feel like there should be an evening pick up after dinner time. We got in a little early for check in (but never saw anyone at any other campsites) trash all over site not picked up well at all. Also felt for what it was fee was high $28+ (but all sites have power, again set up for campers)

Great Sites, Great Waterfall Access look

In the midst of all the Covid claustrophobia, it felt amazing to get up to the mountains and feel like being alone was normal.  The site was great, the bathrooms are amazing, and the campground was everything you'd hope an RV/tent-camping place would be.  There are primitive, walk-in sites that had the benefit of added privacy, but with 3 little kids, bathroom proximity was a higher priority this time around.  The waterfalls are closeby and you should really try King's Creek (30 min hike), Reedy Branch (10 min walk) or Yellow Branch (1.5 hr hike), they're some of our favorites.  Hidden Falls is also a hike that starts from the campground, about 1.5 hrs each way. So lovely and remote!Being able to get up in the morning and go to the falls without having to drive 1+ hrs to get there made it just dreamy for our crew!  The fire pit was easy to cook over, there's a mini-golf area and a playground that was closed still while we were there.  We loved it and will definitely be going back, my 5yo hails our time there as "best of the summer" everytime we ask :)

June 2020

Nice park with a lot to do close by. We tent camped here the first weekend in June.

Bathrooms were always clean and seem to have been recently redone. Sites were small but not overly so.

Being regular tent campers, we understand that sometimes you are at the mercy of your neighbors. The people staying across from us decided that 1030 was the time to start blaring music and screaming. No camp host showed up, but after they fought and someone threatened to crush someone’s tent, they decided to calm down.

There are tons of hiking opportunities in the area with tons of waterfalls. We did get to hike to a few, but wish we had more time to spend there. We live 4 hours away, and if it were closer, we would be regular visitors. We will definitely go back at some time.

The park staff came around twice a day to pick up trash, very nice. There were warning signs for bears, but we saw no trace of them. Posted in my pictures is one of two baggies we found at our site. Being a former corrections officers, I know what I think it is, but I’ll leave that to the reader.

This place is still getting 4 stars due to overall cleanliness and location.

Sentimentally Sweet

I cannot not truly describe how much my family enjoyed this campground. It was our first time and living in the Upstate most my life I can not believe we have overlooked this park. There is such a variety of activities. My 13 yr old had a blast on the bike trail at Stumphouse and my 3 yr old grandson was in awe of the abyss of the tunnel. Hidden trail is an easy and beautiful hike/stroll in the woods not to be missed and the absolute high light of the trip for myself was the exact hole by hole putt-putt course that 100% mirrors the the old Table Rock course that was torn down years ago that brought back a flood of sweet emotions and memories for me!! FYI bring your own balls and putter for cooler evening playing. The swimming are has a feel of a 1950's wading pool in the shallow and a trip to the bath house will make you feel as if your are on the set of Dirty Dancing. We stayed 3 night and only had time for a quarter of the things we wanted to do. We will definitely be back many times more.

Cool evenings and shaded spaces

We stayed here for a weekend in July 18, I really appreciated the shaded site and the ac! Nice campground to walk around with a few hiking trails.

Something for everyone

Wat do you like? Solitude? Try the dispersed campsites, they're awesome. Swimming? There is a roped off area for swimming in one of the lakes. RV camping? Full hookups available. Cabin? Cabins available for rent. Hiking? Trail head for the Foothills Trail as well as Secret Falls. Fishing? There's a lake stocked with bass and bream and even trout in cooler weather. Put-put? They have that too. Kayaking? Bring your own or rent one there. Hot showers? Got 'em. Waterfalls? Convenient to dozens including Station Cove, Yellow Branch, Issaqueena, King Creek, and Spoonauger to name a few. You seriously can't go wrong here unless you go in the summer and stay in a tent. It does get hot here.

Great camping!

We had a great first experience here. Nice amenities: playgrounds, lake , activities. Park was beautiful, but spaces were a little tight. Bathhouses & premises clean ! Wifi didn’t really work, but that can be expected. Stumphouse tunnel Isaqueena Falls is very close, gas station right down the road.

Really nice campground

Really nice campground, lots of trails. But way to many geese there. They have put putting, a small game area. Plenty to do.