The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
McAlester , OKLAHOMA

Camping Oklahoma McAlester Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent McAlester Camping Reviews
Gorgeous on lake

Quiet spacious, clean bathrooms with toilet paper and showers. Had a spot on the lake. Perfect.

Private balconies overlooking the lake

I had never heard of McGee Creek State park but had a blast here last weekend! We stayed right on the water at Potapo Landing. Definitely the nicest campsite I’ve seen. Aside from electricity, water, picnic table, fire pit and grill, each site also had their own deck! We got lucky as our site was not directly next to other campers, however most sites were pretty close together. It seemed like many of the RVs that were parked were there permanently (or at least for a very long time). Every now and then we’d catch a whiff of sewage smell but other than that it was very quiet and peaceful weekend.

Great Escape

I love this small park. It offers a lot of amenities, but overall it’s about the cave trails and lots of hiking opportunities. We went in the early fall so too cool to enjoy the small lakes but our campsite had great views of one of the lakes.

Great Day of Camping

Tent camping. Beautiful view at our campsite. We were close to the lake, and enjoyed the nice breeze and awesome views of the sunset! The sites are very big with tons of space. We went to Lake Eufala state park and hiked around, but really there aren’t great hiking trails in the area. This camping experience would be one where if we came back we would bring friends and enjoy just being at our campsite. We had a great time!

I will say there is ALOT of trash. It didn’t deter us much, but I think it’s worth noting. Some sites we walked passed were filled with bottles and cans. Ours had a ton of cigarette butts all around, and also so weird trays/debris in the fire ring. The only other thing I didn’t love was that while on the map it’s all very well marked, none of the sites had markers and if they did they weren’t nec correct. The only number we could see was 253 in the grill and on the map it was our 255. Our site neighbors said there aren’t any real markers and to just settle there or find one that’s more suitable because the park wouldn’t fill up. It didn’t. But we enjoyed our sites views and space- even with neighbors. No lights around the roads or anything except at the bathroom, but it wasn’t difficult to navigate.

Bathrooms pretty close, and were clean and tidy. Great playground are for kids!

Beautiful place to get away

I love Robbers Cave. It’s one of my most favorite places to camp. There are over 40 miles of hiking trails and the views are incredible! I prefer to camp away from people and toilets don’t matter, I tent camp around Lake Wayne Wallace or Eagles Nest. Watch the trails bc you could end up on the horse trails and be very sad lol.

A hassle-free camping trip all around!

Usually when my friend and I go tent camping we have some hiccup in our plans—rain, damp firewood, lack of wood and ice to be purchased on site, trouble getting good maps, freezing to death at night, etc, but this trip really went without a hitch! They have a good website through which you can pick your campsite. We ended up with a pretty one by the creek that was more secluded than the others. It didn’t have a bathroom, but it was easy enough to drive over to the next site.

What is fun about Robber’s Cave is the variety of things to do. On our first day we went directly to the Cave area and enjoyed climbing on the rocks! Many views were pretty and the cave was not too puny either. The next day we explored more trails—one that was good and challenging—and then rented a kayak for the lake. It was only $5 for an hour! They’ve got mini golf, horse shoes, and a show cone stand to boot. The little camp headquarters also had plentiful ice and dry firewood to buy.

I guess if I have any criticism it would be that the bathroom was a bit dingy, but, heck, it had toilet paper! They also could have had better maps of some of the trails—we got just a little lost on one of the offshoot trails near the cave—but that’s what made it an adventure, really.

Love it here

A little bit of everything for everyone. We prefer the more primitive sites. lake Ray Wallace and Eagles Nest campgrounds within the park are awesome. The caves themselves are great to hike to from I believe 7 different trails. We've gone 3 times already this year. They have an equestrian RV area, plus others dotted throughout the park, a swimming pool (which boggles my mind considering there is great lake swimming), playgrounds, mostly family environment.

Gorgeous views!

We camped 8/28/2020 - 9/3/2020 in Space 62 right on the water, 30 amp, shared water, open shot to satellites. Sewer dump and trash bins nearby. Nice boat ramp and sandy but rocky beaches. The gate entrance was unmanned and we never saw a park ranger or had anyone confirm we had paid. We arrived shortly after Hurricane Laura, so her aftermath caused rain and lightning storms but we certainly cannot fault the park for that.

Gateway to the Forest

This is a great place with awesome camps hosts and a cozy feel.

A great gateway to the national forest and the Ouachita Trail. The trail starts at the park and heads East for some 200 miles. But you don’t have to do it all! Just get out and enjoy what you can.

The ATV crowd is present and sometimes a little loud, but they leave out in the morning and don’t typically get back till dusk.

Tent site 1 is outstanding. Located at the head of the trail it is otherwise pretty remote.

The RV campsites are against the highway and although you can’t see it, you can certainly hear it. It’s not an interstate though and the traffic does die down at night.

I don’t think they have a problem in camp, but be aware that the Ouachita National Forest holds a fair number of Black Bears. Proceed accordingly.

Overall this is a gem of a park, nothing really to do at the park, but the adjacent forest awaits whatever adventure you choose!

why did I camp in July?🥵

Wasn’t able to spend much time here, but camped in the atv area and had an ok time. The sites were close together so there was very little privacy but it was quiet for the most part. No restrooms that I saw but there was water and electric. The drive to the park is less than fun. We were only 3 hours away but drive felt way longer due to slow country roads and construction. I doubt we’ll be back just because of the drive, but if it’s nearby it’s pretty nice!