Anadarko, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Anadarko Camping Reviews
Our go to place

We absolutely love camp Doris, because of the amazing wildlife that you see since you’re on a  nature preserve, The campsites and facilities are very well-maintained and clean, with plenty of shade trees, and amazing hiking very close by! From easy to very difficult trails you can see several different ecosystems along the trails.

Solid

Staff super chill, lots of sites. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains - if you get a good spot. No reservations, first come first serve. Ice and firewood available to purchase on site. Great place in the midst of the mountains.

True hidden gem

We have tent camped and also used our 16 pull behind camper at an electric site. Campsites are on a first come first serve basis here. We love how quiet and clean the campgrounds always is, and the wildlife running through the campgrounds is incredible! Perfect place for families!

Clean and safe

This place is very well maintained and so close to all the trails in Wichita Mountains. Just started doing more outdoor activities and this was the first campground in the area I went to. Highly recommend visiting this place and checking out the Bison Trail

Beautiful, quiet, shade trees perfect location for visiting Fort Sill area

If you don't have a military ID you can stop at the visitor center and get a pass for your stay

this is amazing find. used to be a state park

new management of the park has lots of plans. cleaning this already great park, adding mountian bike trails to go along with the hiking trails. has a small fishing pond for kids, swimming pool open during summer months. when you drop down into this park you are in another world just beautiful and serene.

A Magical Place Tucked Away in Oklahoma

My dog, Ava, and I joined a group of fellow teardrop campers in a surprisingly unique and fascinating campground in Oklahoma. This campground, formally known as Red Rock Canyon State Park, has now become simply Red Rock Canyon Campground. The state park was slated for closure when a local family from the nearby town of Hinton negotiated to lease this lovely place from the state in order to keep this local gem open for both day use and camping.

WOW, what a great service they have done for camper travelers. After checking in at the friendly office, we found ourselves driving down a somewhat steep and winding road into the canyon. Now I'm pulling a 2300 pound teardrop, but plenty of big rigs have also made it down with no problems. The place really is enchanting. The tent sites are tucked right into the canyon walls, and full hook ups, while not tucked in are right inside the canyon as well. With kids in mind, there are many playgrounds as well as repelling and trails for adult types, but you must bring your own climbing equipment.

The one downside for me was the pay showers. It was 75 cents for a six minute shower, and change machines were right there, but hey, I want free showers.

Accessible, family-pet friendly site.

We camped with friends, campsite was very roomy with plenty of space for the pups and kiddos. We even brought our own disc basket and had plenty of space to play. The grounds were clean, well kept, restrooms were clean. While the park is relatively small, it is very family friendly with a nice playground,swimming pool. There is a rock climbing area that looks to be a great place for beginners. Everything was walkable. Nice trails that people of all ages and abilities were using. I wish there had been another trail that was longer, I wouldn’t recommend for serious hikers. It’s just about an hour drive from OKC which means we will be back for another quick weekend getaway.

Hiking, Climbing or Exploring

When driving down 40 everything seems so flat, then you turn into this state park and it unexpectedly takes your breath away as you begin to descend into the canyon and are surrounded by the bold red canyon walls.

I had no idea what to expect when I first entered the park and the more and more deep I drove into the canyon but I became more and more excited as I saw a trail jut off to the right, and a spring trickling down the hillside to the left. A pull off just before the tent campground with a view point of the waterway opened up to another point of interest.

Then there was the camping area, nestled in the cove of the canyon with climbing walls on both sides, large shade trees, picnic tables, fire rings and more access to hiking. Restrooms were well maintained and included pay showers separate from the restroom facilities themselves. Very fair pricing and views that simply would not stop!!

Just up the way a bit further were improved tent and RV sites with electricity, dump stations and less removed feeling. Pay stations were located in each of the camps and rangers circled to make sure you were ok pretty regularly.

TIPS:

• Make reservations if you are wanting an RV site during busy times of year or weekends.
  • If you are a climber, there are plenty of walls, but you have to bring your own gear.
Clean and Family Friendly

The campgrounds were very well maintained, maps were very easy to navigate! I felt safe setting up my tent and leaving it for the day while our group went out to hike.

Great For Fishing

In our opinion after coming from a really great campground with everything you need, this park didnt really rate too high on our scale. However, others might think differently. It was a great.campground for fishing (we dont fish). There is a store near where we were staying that catered to those fisherman. Also had a kitchen with several items on their menu. Boat rental is available. The pull through site we reserved was not paved. There was a kiddie park right across from our site that had spider webs all over it. A downer for those in tents, you have to pay for showers. There were handicap rv site near restrooms. Some wildlife, bugs (something Ive never seen before flew on me and gave me a nasty bite) the sites are really close together and traffic is heavy. Roads are thin. Picnic tables and fire ring was available at our site. The pier was pretty nice and we enjoyed watching the geese. There is a dump station just outside the exit across the street from park office. No full hook ups on our site. There looked to be some really nice sites right off the water, overlooking the lake. Not much shade where we were at even though I reserved a spot with shade, it only covered about half of our rig.

Easy access into park from freeway

Gravel stalls. Plenty long enough for rv and car trailer. Walking distance to Trading Post. Buffaloes on site in a pen. Interesting jumping structure and tons of park equipment to work out on.

A great place for wildlife watching

From when I was younger I remember going to the Wichita Mountains to see the Holy City and the prairie dog city. It has always been a place of fond memories and a lot of fun for not only myself but the entire family. It wasn’t until more recent years however that I was aware that there was a camping area there right within the wildlife preserve itself.

In the footprint of the mountains this campground welcomes both tent and RV campers looking to enjoy an overnight stay or more lengthy stay.  Primitive camping is available with a park and walk through a short trail or in camp there are both electrical and non-electrical sites with prices ranging for these from $8 to $20.

I noticed that the in campground sites are pretty typical in that they offer both fire rings and picnic tables.  They do have a shower and restroom which is available during non-winter months and other toilets for usage during the cooler months.  They do have drinking water available here which is also nice considering distance to nearest stores.

The best feature of this campground is not the campground itself it is the access you have to the refuge area where you can on any given day see herds of deer, buffalo, long horn cattle, turkey and of course prairie dogs.  A lot of times you will find these wandering around into camp itself.

The area has become more and more popular for rock climbing and hiking with several people setting up basecamp at this campground.  This campground does have posted closings of gate hours so you cannot explore in the area past these posted times (during summer 10 during week or 11 on weekends).

TIPS:

• Check into the visitor center for lists of guided tours for Bald Eagle spotting and other tours.
  • Take a drive up Mount Scott for some of the best views in the area.
  • Listen for barking of the Prairie Dogs, this is how they warn one another of people in the area, it is very interesting to hear and if you drive by the sites where you see their mounds, pull off and roll down your windows you can watch and hear them.
What a Surprise!

This is a great park in far western Oklahoma! Not very much shade but Glen Creek is a diamond in the rough! Fun fun fun to paddle in the kayak!

One of my favorite places

Hands down one of my top favorite areas to be in. Loads of wildlife and loads of great trails to hike! Doris is the only campground to stay at if you want to be within the refuge, but there are a couple different campgrounds not too far away if it’s full. The only downside to the refuge as a whole, is they haven’t fixed stuff that has been broken for years. Its almost like they’re just letting it go and it’s sad. I’ve been coming here for years with my family as a kid and now married with my own family and things are still all the exact same. Overall it’s a great place to stay!

Nice camping along Route 66

I stopped off to camp here after a long day on the road and was pleasantly surprised about the tent campground after driving through a packed, wall to wall RV camping area. The tent area is set quite a ways from the RV area, so there are no concerns about generator noise or overcrowding. While you generally can see most of the campsites from your site, they are pretty well spaced apart and some have nice underbrush between them for privacy. I ended up in a very large site under the red rock wall in an area that is open for rappelling and climbing, but as it was late in the afternoon, I did not have any visitors except some kids who wanted to climb. My site did not have any really good trees for hammocks, but a walk around the loop and visit with neighboring campers showed that some had good trees for hammocks and some did not. I was a short walk to the bathhouse, which was very clean with pay showers on one side and toilets on the other. Just outside the camping area was a neat pond and spillway, a great place for a picnic for day visitors.

A hidden gem!!

Gorgeous. They have showers and plenty of camping spots.

Great overnight just outside of OK City

This was a perfect place to stay outside of OKC, there was a ranger station with super useful maps and info that you can access even when it’s not open. There were bathrooms and showers that were pretty nice for a park. There were a lot of spots as well as grills and picnic tables. They even had a handicap accessible camping spot.

Love red rock

Have been going here for years. Family loves to climb and rappel the canyon walls. Bathrooms are clean and the pay showers are reasonable and hot. Love the nature it provides for us.

Favorite place to camp in Oklahoma

I stay regularly in the walk in campsites here. The walk in sites are 40 to a few hundred yards walk from the parking lot. Each campsite has a fire ring and concrete picnic table. Most have tree shade. You'll want to bring firewood and water. Don't expect cell service but there's a good chance you'll see wildlife.

Amazing!

This so far is my absolute favorite place to camp in the northwest region of Oklahoma. At night you can hear elk. There is a variety of sites from RV, tents, and hike in sites. The park has free range elk, buffalo, and longhorn. Absolutely beautiful and has lots of sites but does fill up fast! Even in March and sometimes February!

Beautiful but Small

The park itself is beautiful. The campsites are in the canyon along the canyon walls. The park is often packed and it can be difficult to find a spot if you arrive late. They are small sites but are mostly soft grass with minimal stickers.

nice campgrounds

went there and camped this last weekend . it was a great spot, friendly people, clean and close to everything .

Camp Doris is rustic

There are 20 rustic sites where campers carry all of their gear in to their site. These sites have a fire ring ans picnic table. Porta pots are near by. There are many sites where you can park and camp. The sites with electric hookups have a clean bathhouse. All of the water is under a boil order. Lakes, hiking trails, and wildlife are near by. there is not cell phone service.

Nice lake with great water activities

Well, the sites are very basic and there is a lack of trees. But there is a nice sandy beach area, waterslides, paddle boats and kayaks for rent, a restaurant and a playground in the camping area.

Wildlife everywhere

This camp site is one of my favorites. While it is very rustic and the bathrooms left much to be desired, there were animals everywhere, including bison and wild turkeys around camp. Great short hikes around camp and good proximity to town. Sites are basic and have both drive up and walk in sites.

so much potential

this place is extremely beautiful, the lake is amazing and it’s not overcrowded. that being said I am not from the area but I hear it’s been coming around and made better. but there was still a bunch of trash in lake and shore. I kayaked to the far said and found abandoned campsites littered with beer cans and trash. the bathrooms were disgusting, over filled toilets with waste and need a good update. the shower more on the inside was not that bad, but still needed a good cleaning.

Quiet, cozy campground.

This is one of my favorite campgrounds when I'm looking for quiet, relaxing camping. The sites are well spaced and the campground is always peaceful. There are nice short hiking trails nearby to enjoy as well. I do wish they had a better designated tent pad. Finding a level spot was a little tricky.