Anadarko, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Anadarko Camping Reviews
Unique Anti-Suburban-Type Camping!

What a unique place! Stand-alone sites, each with a distinct character. It's like yours is the only occupied site and you have the run of the whole parcel.

Great walk-to bathroom. Hosts are very relaxed and helpful.

The property is interesting and beautiful. If you get bored there's the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge only a 15 minute drive away.

Pretty and Scenic

This spot is great! I’ve done a photoshoot as well as explored here! The photoshoot was awesome on the small hike with the red rock. It’s plenty shaded and has a lot of color in full bloom! The best is right after it rains! As for exploring, it’s awesome! It can get crowded easily, but it’s easy to escape into another hidden area of the park. Definitely a gem of OK!

Tent accessible.... but is it??

This location is a quaint privately owned location easy to access and close to the community of Rush Springs.

Although they do have shady areas ideal for tents and we did see some tent campers there is no real facilities for a tent camper to use. I would not be able to personally stay here in a tent without being friendly with someone in an RV because there is also no privacy for outdoor restroom.

Sites are available on a nightly, weekly or monthly stay at a reasonable rate. There is a common trash area and RV connections are present.

Sites are a bit close together for my personal liking.

Great spot for a quick getaway

I think this is definitely a great place to go if you want to get away for a day or two. Since it is a smaller state park, it feels a little cramped during the peak season. However, the neat thing about the park is that it offers a variety of activities such as camping, swimming in the pool, hiking, rock climbing, etc.

Nice little state park

Great little state park right on the shores of Tom Steed Reservoir. Sites are well spaced. Campground is well maintained. Good fishing. Lots of walking area around the lake. Friendly staff. Most all sites have a view of the water. You’ll need to make reservations to ensure you get a site. This is not a huge campground. It’s very quiet and relaxing. Not a lot of shade. Good view of the Witchita Mountain range in the background. The Witchita Wildlife Preserve is nearby and worth taking the family to see free roaming bison.

Wildlife refuge

Buffalo, deer, turkey, and more can be glimpsed here. Nearly Primitive camping in a gorgeous natural setting.

The bar has been set high

Fourth of July weekend. Our first time in our camper. It was packed, but everyone was really nice. We got a great site kind of secluded and awesome fishing spot right in front. We went on the half mile hike. Bathrooms were kept clean. The pay showers and washer/dryer machines were awesome. Camp host was on top of everything, and there was frequent visits by the park ranger. It was a great weekend. Area 2 Site 36. Check it out.

Good for stop off stay

This KOA is directly off I-40 exit 108. It is a decent quick over night if you are passing through. If possible I recommend the spots in back. The full hook up spots up front are literally a parking lot. The spots are so close you are almost touching the RVs beside you. All facilities are clean. Staff is friendly. The pool is nice and there is a small lake for fishing. There is a tourist trap in front call The Cherokee Trading Post. There is all a Cherokee Restaurant. Good food. And there is also a nice convenience store.

Nice,quiet place to relax

We stayed here for (4) night's last month. Was not busy at all during the week. They keep the grounds mowed and looking nice. The tails where nice but a little overgrown and the markings are faded. Like climbing around the rocks. The pool was nice and cool for a hot day but closed at 5:00. The showers are hot but are pay type. Fifty cents gets you two minutes. The town of Hinton is very close and had stores if you forget anything. Will come back when it is cooler.

Quiet and convenient

This campground is on the base,  but so quiet. Within a few miles of the campground is amazing fishing and hiking. Fort Sill is a nice base with everything you may need. If you drive to Witchita Mountain Wildlife Refuge you may see elk, bison, Longhorns and deer. The hiking trails are great and worth the visit.

This was a very nice place although a little difficult to find. It was $15 for our 32 foot motorhome. We put our money in an envelope and left it at a picnic table and then we were able to choose our spot. Even though there were a few others around it was a quiet place looking out on a very pretty lake. We ended up having to leave a little earlier in the morning than planned because of a thunderstorm but we did get to see all the geese come in off the lake to get out of the water before the storm started. I would highly recommend it for one night stay or a nice weekend getaway.

Girl Scout Troop #110 Camping

I took my Girl Scouts camping for 3.5 days, back in 2010. We had a blast! From swimming at their pool to getting snowcones, to hiking. Just watch out for the poison ivy! And I’m highly allergic to the stuff! The ranger kept a close eye on us all weekend even when they had a riot at the prison, but don’t worry they don’t do that very often. He kept patrol until the riot was over with. Plus there is a gate to lock people out at night. I believe at 11pm it closes and locks. Unless there is an emergency, of some sort. He will let you out, just have to knock on his door right there by the gate. Not too expensive to stay at back then. I don’t know the current prices now though. They also have a lot of RV hook ups.

Beautiful Wichita Mountains

The area is beautifully scenic and you will very likely see plenty of wildlife.  We saw bison, elk and coyotes.  We also enjoyed visiting the nearby town of Medicine Park.

Not bad but could use a little updating

Great access to the lake. Friendly camp host. Great price for water/electric at $22 a night. Some sites could use more gravel. It was muddy. Could use a little updating but overall a good stay for the price and lots of room to spread out. Just pick your spot. Only a very small handful of full hook ups. Hiking trails were overrun and inaccessible

Not bad but could use a little updating

Extremely popular for more than one reason

Weekends at WMWR (Wichita Mountains Wildife Refuge)are very popular beginning early in the camping season making it difficult to find open spots by Friday evening. But that doesn’t keep people from trying late into the night.

The facilities are well maintained and allow anyone to choose very primitive to RV hookup and car/tent camping also.   Always lots of friendly folks to visit and get hiking insights from. Many activities are available in WMWR. Hiking trails can be accessed directly from Doris Campground, or there are numerous other trails in other areas a short drive away. Carry in all your water with bovine (longhorn, buffalo) covering virtually all areas of the refuge. I have visited all months of the year.

Our go to place

We absolutely love camp Doris, because of the amazing wildlife that you see since you’re on a  nature preserve, The campsites and facilities are very well-maintained and clean, with plenty of shade trees, and amazing hiking very close by! From easy to very difficult trails you can see several different ecosystems along the trails.

Solid

Staff super chill, lots of sites. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains - if you get a good spot. No reservations, first come first serve. Ice and firewood available to purchase on site. Great place in the midst of the mountains.

True hidden gem

We have tent camped and also used our 16 pull behind camper at an electric site. Campsites are on a first come first serve basis here. We love how quiet and clean the campgrounds always is, and the wildlife running through the campgrounds is incredible! Perfect place for families!

Clean and safe

This place is very well maintained and so close to all the trails in Wichita Mountains. Just started doing more outdoor activities and this was the first campground in the area I went to. Highly recommend visiting this place and checking out the Bison Trail

Beautiful, quiet, shade trees perfect location for visiting Fort Sill area

If you don't have a military ID you can stop at the visitor center and get a pass for your stay

this is amazing find. used to be a state park

new management of the park has lots of plans. cleaning this already great park, adding mountian bike trails to go along with the hiking trails. has a small fishing pond for kids, swimming pool open during summer months. when you drop down into this park you are in another world just beautiful and serene.

A Magical Place Tucked Away in Oklahoma

My dog, Ava, and I joined a group of fellow teardrop campers in a surprisingly unique and fascinating campground in Oklahoma. This campground, formally known as Red Rock Canyon State Park, has now become simply Red Rock Canyon Campground. The state park was slated for closure when a local family from the nearby town of Hinton negotiated to lease this lovely place from the state in order to keep this local gem open for both day use and camping.

WOW, what a great service they have done for camper travelers. After checking in at the friendly office, we found ourselves driving down a somewhat steep and winding road into the canyon. Now I'm pulling a 2300 pound teardrop, but plenty of big rigs have also made it down with no problems. The place really is enchanting. The tent sites are tucked right into the canyon walls, and full hook ups, while not tucked in are right inside the canyon as well. With kids in mind, there are many playgrounds as well as repelling and trails for adult types, but you must bring your own climbing equipment.

The one downside for me was the pay showers. It was 75 cents for a six minute shower, and change machines were right there, but hey, I want free showers.

Accessible, family-pet friendly site.

We camped with friends, campsite was very roomy with plenty of space for the pups and kiddos. We even brought our own disc basket and had plenty of space to play. The grounds were clean, well kept, restrooms were clean. While the park is relatively small, it is very family friendly with a nice playground,swimming pool. There is a rock climbing area that looks to be a great place for beginners. Everything was walkable. Nice trails that people of all ages and abilities were using. I wish there had been another trail that was longer, I wouldn’t recommend for serious hikers. It’s just about an hour drive from OKC which means we will be back for another quick weekend getaway.

Hiking, Climbing or Exploring

When driving down 40 everything seems so flat, then you turn into this state park and it unexpectedly takes your breath away as you begin to descend into the canyon and are surrounded by the bold red canyon walls.

I had no idea what to expect when I first entered the park and the more and more deep I drove into the canyon but I became more and more excited as I saw a trail jut off to the right, and a spring trickling down the hillside to the left. A pull off just before the tent campground with a view point of the waterway opened up to another point of interest.

Then there was the camping area, nestled in the cove of the canyon with climbing walls on both sides, large shade trees, picnic tables, fire rings and more access to hiking. Restrooms were well maintained and included pay showers separate from the restroom facilities themselves. Very fair pricing and views that simply would not stop!!

Just up the way a bit further were improved tent and RV sites with electricity, dump stations and less removed feeling. Pay stations were located in each of the camps and rangers circled to make sure you were ok pretty regularly.

TIPS:

• Make reservations if you are wanting an RV site during busy times of year or weekends.
  • If you are a climber, there are plenty of walls, but you have to bring your own gear.
Clean and Family Friendly

The campgrounds were very well maintained, maps were very easy to navigate! I felt safe setting up my tent and leaving it for the day while our group went out to hike.

Great For Fishing

In our opinion after coming from a really great campground with everything you need, this park didnt really rate too high on our scale. However, others might think differently. It was a great.campground for fishing (we dont fish). There is a store near where we were staying that catered to those fisherman. Also had a kitchen with several items on their menu. Boat rental is available. The pull through site we reserved was not paved. There was a kiddie park right across from our site that had spider webs all over it. A downer for those in tents, you have to pay for showers. There were handicap rv site near restrooms. Some wildlife, bugs (something Ive never seen before flew on me and gave me a nasty bite) the sites are really close together and traffic is heavy. Roads are thin. Picnic tables and fire ring was available at our site. The pier was pretty nice and we enjoyed watching the geese. There is a dump station just outside the exit across the street from park office. No full hook ups on our site. There looked to be some really nice sites right off the water, overlooking the lake. Not much shade where we were at even though I reserved a spot with shade, it only covered about half of our rig.

Easy access into park from freeway

Gravel stalls. Plenty long enough for rv and car trailer. Walking distance to Trading Post. Buffaloes on site in a pen. Interesting jumping structure and tons of park equipment to work out on.

A great place for wildlife watching

From when I was younger I remember going to the Wichita Mountains to see the Holy City and the prairie dog city. It has always been a place of fond memories and a lot of fun for not only myself but the entire family. It wasn’t until more recent years however that I was aware that there was a camping area there right within the wildlife preserve itself.

In the footprint of the mountains this campground welcomes both tent and RV campers looking to enjoy an overnight stay or more lengthy stay.  Primitive camping is available with a park and walk through a short trail or in camp there are both electrical and non-electrical sites with prices ranging for these from $8 to $20.

I noticed that the in campground sites are pretty typical in that they offer both fire rings and picnic tables.  They do have a shower and restroom which is available during non-winter months and other toilets for usage during the cooler months.  They do have drinking water available here which is also nice considering distance to nearest stores.

The best feature of this campground is not the campground itself it is the access you have to the refuge area where you can on any given day see herds of deer, buffalo, long horn cattle, turkey and of course prairie dogs.  A lot of times you will find these wandering around into camp itself.

The area has become more and more popular for rock climbing and hiking with several people setting up basecamp at this campground.  This campground does have posted closings of gate hours so you cannot explore in the area past these posted times (during summer 10 during week or 11 on weekends).

TIPS:

• Check into the visitor center for lists of guided tours for Bald Eagle spotting and other tours.
  • Take a drive up Mount Scott for some of the best views in the area.
  • Listen for barking of the Prairie Dogs, this is how they warn one another of people in the area, it is very interesting to hear and if you drive by the sites where you see their mounds, pull off and roll down your windows you can watch and hear them.