Alex, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Alex Camping Reviews
Pretty and Scenic

This spot is great! I’ve done a photoshoot as well as explored here! The photoshoot was awesome on the small hike with the red rock. It’s plenty shaded and has a lot of color in full bloom! The best is right after it rains! As for exploring, it’s awesome! It can get crowded easily, but it’s easy to escape into another hidden area of the park. Definitely a gem of OK!

Tent accessible.... but is it??

This location is a quaint privately owned location easy to access and close to the community of Rush Springs.

Although they do have shady areas ideal for tents and we did see some tent campers there is no real facilities for a tent camper to use. I would not be able to personally stay here in a tent without being friendly with someone in an RV because there is also no privacy for outdoor restroom.

Sites are available on a nightly, weekly or monthly stay at a reasonable rate. There is a common trash area and RV connections are present.

Sites are a bit close together for my personal liking.

Great spot for a quick getaway

I think this is definitely a great place to go if you want to get away for a day or two. Since it is a smaller state park, it feels a little cramped during the peak season. However, the neat thing about the park is that it offers a variety of activities such as camping, swimming in the pool, hiking, rock climbing, etc.

The bar has been set high

Fourth of July weekend. Our first time in our camper. It was packed, but everyone was really nice. We got a great site kind of secluded and awesome fishing spot right in front. We went on the half mile hike. Bathrooms were kept clean. The pay showers and washer/dryer machines were awesome. Camp host was on top of everything, and there was frequent visits by the park ranger. It was a great weekend. Area 2 Site 36. Check it out.

Good for stop off stay

This KOA is directly off I-40 exit 108. It is a decent quick over night if you are passing through. If possible I recommend the spots in back. The full hook up spots up front are literally a parking lot. The spots are so close you are almost touching the RVs beside you. All facilities are clean. Staff is friendly. The pool is nice and there is a small lake for fishing. There is a tourist trap in front call The Cherokee Trading Post. There is all a Cherokee Restaurant. Good food. And there is also a nice convenience store.

Nice,quiet place to relax

We stayed here for (4) night's last month. Was not busy at all during the week. They keep the grounds mowed and looking nice. The tails where nice but a little overgrown and the markings are faded. Like climbing around the rocks. The pool was nice and cool for a hot day but closed at 5:00. The showers are hot but are pay type. Fifty cents gets you two minutes. The town of Hinton is very close and had stores if you forget anything. Will come back when it is cooler.

Quiet and convenient

This campground is on the base,  but so quiet. Within a few miles of the campground is amazing fishing and hiking. Fort Sill is a nice base with everything you may need. If you drive to Witchita Mountain Wildlife Refuge you may see elk, bison, Longhorns and deer. The hiking trails are great and worth the visit.

This was a very nice place although a little difficult to find. It was $15 for our 32 foot motorhome. We put our money in an envelope and left it at a picnic table and then we were able to choose our spot. Even though there were a few others around it was a quiet place looking out on a very pretty lake. We ended up having to leave a little earlier in the morning than planned because of a thunderstorm but we did get to see all the geese come in off the lake to get out of the water before the storm started. I would highly recommend it for one night stay or a nice weekend getaway.

Girl Scout Troop #110 Camping

I took my Girl Scouts camping for 3.5 days, back in 2010. We had a blast! From swimming at their pool to getting snowcones, to hiking. Just watch out for the poison ivy! And I’m highly allergic to the stuff! The ranger kept a close eye on us all weekend even when they had a riot at the prison, but don’t worry they don’t do that very often. He kept patrol until the riot was over with. Plus there is a gate to lock people out at night. I believe at 11pm it closes and locks. Unless there is an emergency, of some sort. He will let you out, just have to knock on his door right there by the gate. Not too expensive to stay at back then. I don’t know the current prices now though. They also have a lot of RV hook ups.

Not bad but could use a little updating

Great access to the lake. Friendly camp host. Great price for water/electric at $22 a night. Some sites could use more gravel. It was muddy. Could use a little updating but overall a good stay for the price and lots of room to spread out. Just pick your spot. Only a very small handful of full hook ups. Hiking trails were overrun and inaccessible

Would stay again!!!

This is my first time at this park. It is fantastic. It is peaceful and quiet. Nature at your backdoor. Love it here!

Not bad but could use a little updating

Great campground, not enough bathrooms/showers

Great spots and location. Only about 10 shower/bathroom combos for an entire campground. Long waits and not cleaned.

Clean RV park

We stayed here in March 2019. Pool was closed. Miniature Golf was cool but looked liked it needed to have a spring cleaning. Roads were nice and paved. Would defiantly stay here again.

Very Nice Park

This park has a little bit of everything. Nice sights roads and RV site are paved. Nice pool, mini golf course, store, laundry, bar and grill, and close to a lot of entertainment.

Really small but nice and convenient

It'll due if you are working on base or just visiting. Not a lot to do. Store is right next door. Hardly ever a spot open. Good luck.

Really small but nice and convenient

It's pretty nice for a state park in OK

If you have a 30 amp rv/camper you can get a spot at one of the 3 decent Thunderbird parks most of the time same day no reservation. If you have a 50 amp better go parkit on Thursday so you have a weekend spot. On the lake and that's what we want. Lots of yahoos in the summer it's a party spot.

This is the nicer campground of all thunderbird

I liked this one the best if all the Dirtybird campgrounds. best position on the lake. Less of a party crowd over here.

Great, clean campground. Friendly staff.

We stayed over Labor Day weekend and the park was mostly full. It’s right off a major interstate and easy to get to. Even with being off a main road and lots of other campers the park was nice and quiet. We stayed in a pull thru spot so easy to get in an out of. Nice and level. We had a picnic table and grill. Lots of shade trees and paved roads made it nice to take walks. The bathrooms were nice and clean, individual rooms with toilet, sink and shower in each. Had a nice playground and great swimming pool. They have a small store on site for souvenirs, camping items and also food items. There are storm shelters on site.

The spots were a little close together but not too bad.

Clean and friendly

Well maintained sites resonable rates. Easy access Helpful staff

Beautiful, quiet, shade trees perfect location for visiting Fort Sill area

If you don't have a military ID you can stop at the visitor center and get a pass for your stay

this is amazing find. used to be a state park

new management of the park has lots of plans. cleaning this already great park, adding mountian bike trails to go along with the hiking trails. has a small fishing pond for kids, swimming pool open during summer months. when you drop down into this park you are in another world just beautiful and serene.

A Magical Place Tucked Away in Oklahoma

My dog, Ava, and I joined a group of fellow teardrop campers in a surprisingly unique and fascinating campground in Oklahoma. This campground, formally known as Red Rock Canyon State Park, has now become simply Red Rock Canyon Campground. The state park was slated for closure when a local family from the nearby town of Hinton negotiated to lease this lovely place from the state in order to keep this local gem open for both day use and camping.

WOW, what a great service they have done for camper travelers. After checking in at the friendly office, we found ourselves driving down a somewhat steep and winding road into the canyon. Now I'm pulling a 2300 pound teardrop, but plenty of big rigs have also made it down with no problems. The place really is enchanting. The tent sites are tucked right into the canyon walls, and full hook ups, while not tucked in are right inside the canyon as well. With kids in mind, there are many playgrounds as well as repelling and trails for adult types, but you must bring your own climbing equipment.

The one downside for me was the pay showers. It was 75 cents for a six minute shower, and change machines were right there, but hey, I want free showers.

Accessible, family-pet friendly site.

We camped with friends, campsite was very roomy with plenty of space for the pups and kiddos. We even brought our own disc basket and had plenty of space to play. The grounds were clean, well kept, restrooms were clean. While the park is relatively small, it is very family friendly with a nice playground,swimming pool. There is a rock climbing area that looks to be a great place for beginners. Everything was walkable. Nice trails that people of all ages and abilities were using. I wish there had been another trail that was longer, I wouldn’t recommend for serious hikers. It’s just about an hour drive from OKC which means we will be back for another quick weekend getaway.

Quiet Lake Views

Though still open for the season this campground looks a little forgotten with few campers, overgrown sites and subpar restrooms. Buy the views from these sites at dusk are u paralleled by other sites on the lake.

Sites here are pretty standard with a picnic table, grill and prep station. The road is narrow and though you could navigate an RV here I would not recommend a longer unit.

I found this site to be less improved than Kiowa and less used, however their day use area was nicer with large picnic shelters which can be reserved and include electricity.

The site I selected was waterfront but high enough above the waterline that I would not fear lake waters rising and flooding my space. I was able to easily pull into my site in my small car. The views from this area are uncorrupted by structures and trees and you can clearly see much of the lake, making for beautiful sunsets.

The restrooms at this location were mere pit toilets and it looked as though these hadn’t been maintained in a while. One door was ajar on the men’s restroom midcamp and there were no sinks only non potable water on a spigot outside the restroom.

Nicest Campground At Lake

There are two sections of this campground. My first stay I stayed in the second camping loop which was closest to the boat ramp and had a lot of in and out traffic. This site, which was closer to the camp host and entrance seemed to be a more popular site for RVs.

As I pulled into this site I noticed that the restroom was close to the entry loop. The site had improved flush sensor toilets and running water. Each of the sites was equipped with the standard grill and picnic table but at this location they also had water spigots and electrical hook ups. The sites at this location had shade covers over the picnic tables and were split between back in spaces and pull through sites.

I noticed on this loop many people have pulled their boats up to the their lakeside sites and had easy access to the water.

Campsites were pretty large and spread out so even though there were more campers at this location it seemed pretty quiet. It looked as though many had set up for longer term camping, which is allowed up to 14 days at this location.

I chose a location close to the water but a little further away than some because the waterline was up and additional rains could push up onto sites even further. I noticed that the grass was well maintained at this site but it looked as though no one had stayed at this particular site in a while as there were scattered spiderwebs everywhere and some downed debris which hadn't been cleared.

Overall the location was much better than the second campground which seemed louder on my last visit. I checked out the campground's second camp on this trip and it seemed like no one was there at all so I believe my original assessment was based on seasonal traffic.

Day Use Only

This site is a great place for those looking to have a launch for Day Use. Much like the other launch site Beaver Creek, it offers a large launch area and marina for those boating on Waurika Lake with limited amenities for usage.

This site utilizes an honor system for payment and while I was there for over an hour I didn't notice a single ranger coming to enforcement or check payment, I was told during the busier months there is someone who patrols more regularly.

The water level does not seem to effect this site as much as Beaver so you could access the entire ramp area through rains had pushed the bounds of the lake upward tremendously. The ramp itself seemed entirely accessible still.

Parking at this area is very nice for larger rigs making it ideal for boat trailers or RVs looking to enjoy the lake for the day, although swimming is out of the question as there is no swimming beach. You can find one just a bit up the road at the Kiowa Park I.

TIPS:

• Make sure you follow the directions on the pay slip correctly.

• There is no store at this location so make sure to bring your supplies with you.

Unkept Grasslands

When I pulled into this campsite I wasn’t sure what to expect. Being on the opposite side of the earthen dam from other campsites along Lake Waurika I didn’t know what if anything would be of interest.

I noticed when pulling in this area offers a couple of hiking trails which is vastly different than the lakeside camping. Sites here were mostly shaded and more of a grassland feel. With that being said after recent rains they looked a little unkept with y’all weeds in many areas making for some questionable conditions.

I found sites at this camp both with and without hook ups. All sites looked to have large pull in slots, however the main road was pretty small so I would assume you need to be very good with your rig if it is longer to navigate into sites.

As a tent camper all these sites looked to have good prospect for placing a tent. Grass surrounding the area would make for a very padded site and with a picnic table, prep table and grill in each site when the grounds are maintained I could see this being a great spot to try.

The other negative I did see to this camp was the low laying areas seemed to hold water so many campsites were a bit saturated on the improved side of camp. Little lakes basically were everywhere. Unfortunately this side was also the area with the better restroom so to get a good spot you would have to walk a farther distance to be able to use the facilities which were cleaner.

Pricing was very fair at this location and during busier season I can only imagine they mow the area which would make it ideal for camping of any kind. But as it sits it felt kind of like a ghost town.

TIPS:

• Take a good drive through camp before selecting a site then drive back to the kiosk to make reservations through the honor box.
  • Don’t overshoot camp entrance because there are no real turn arounds if you are in a larger rig.
Day Use Only

On some maps this spot appears as a dispersed camping area however when I arrived it is very clearly marked "Day Use Only". The road to the public use area is wide enough for two passing vehicles with boats and there is plenty of space for longer rigs to park when you get to the boat ramp area. There is also a restroom with vault toilets and trash cans in this area.

For those using the area there is an honor pay station just off the boat ramp area and cost is very reasonable.

For those wanting to visit the lake and swim, this isn't the right place to do so. There is no swimming beach at this location and it does mention that you cannot swim near the ramp.

When I visited the recent rains had the lake swelling to a pretty high level and the waters had pushed up well over the the typical as can be seen in the picture attached of the dock which typically sets beside the launch area but is now underwater at the shore line. As a result a lot of people had pulled their boats in at camping areas across the lake rather than requiring a day use fee.

TIPS:

• Remember if using this area to lock your doors and hide anything of value, even though this isn't a high traffic area always better safe than sorry.
  • Take toilet paper with you. Though they do have toilets sometimes it is not stocked regularly and depending on traffic you would be better safe than sorry.
  • Check fishing tournament schedules. This ramp is used heavily when they have hosted fishing tournaments so if you are a recreational boater and do not want to have to struggle with finding a parking space or to many other boaters just check in advance.