Alex, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Alex Camping Reviews
Clean RV park

We stayed here in March 2019. Pool was closed. Miniature Golf was cool but looked liked it needed to have a spring cleaning. Roads were nice and paved. Would defiantly stay here again.

Very Nice Park

This park has a little bit of everything. Nice sights roads and RV site are paved. Nice pool, mini golf course, store, laundry, bar and grill, and close to a lot of entertainment.

Really small but nice and convenient

It'll due if you are working on base or just visiting. Not a lot to do. Store is right next door. Hardly ever a spot open. Good luck.

Really small but nice and convenient

It's pretty nice for a state park in OK

If you have a 30 amp rv/camper you can get a spot at one of the 3 decent Thunderbird parks most of the time same day no reservation. If you have a 50 amp better go parkit on Thursday so you have a weekend spot. On the lake and that's what we want. Lots of yahoos in the summer it's a party spot.

This is the nicer campground of all thunderbird

I liked this one the best if all the Dirtybird campgrounds. best position on the lake. Less of a party crowd over here.

Great, clean campground. Friendly staff.

We stayed over Labor Day weekend and the park was mostly full. It’s right off a major interstate and easy to get to. Even with being off a main road and lots of other campers the park was nice and quiet. We stayed in a pull thru spot so easy to get in an out of. Nice and level. We had a picnic table and grill. Lots of shade trees and paved roads made it nice to take walks. The bathrooms were nice and clean, individual rooms with toilet, sink and shower in each. Had a nice playground and great swimming pool. They have a small store on site for souvenirs, camping items and also food items. There are storm shelters on site.

The spots were a little close together but not too bad.

Clean and friendly

Well maintained sites resonable rates. Easy access Helpful staff

Beautiful, quiet, shade trees perfect location for visiting Fort Sill area

If you don't have a military ID you can stop at the visitor center and get a pass for your stay

this is amazing find. used to be a state park

new management of the park has lots of plans. cleaning this already great park, adding mountian bike trails to go along with the hiking trails. has a small fishing pond for kids, swimming pool open during summer months. when you drop down into this park you are in another world just beautiful and serene.

A Magical Place Tucked Away in Oklahoma

My dog, Ava, and I joined a group of fellow teardrop campers in a surprisingly unique and fascinating campground in Oklahoma. This campground, formally known as Red Rock Canyon State Park, has now become simply Red Rock Canyon Campground. The state park was slated for closure when a local family from the nearby town of Hinton negotiated to lease this lovely place from the state in order to keep this local gem open for both day use and camping.

WOW, what a great service they have done for camper travelers. After checking in at the friendly office, we found ourselves driving down a somewhat steep and winding road into the canyon. Now I'm pulling a 2300 pound teardrop, but plenty of big rigs have also made it down with no problems. The place really is enchanting. The tent sites are tucked right into the canyon walls, and full hook ups, while not tucked in are right inside the canyon as well. With kids in mind, there are many playgrounds as well as repelling and trails for adult types, but you must bring your own climbing equipment.

The one downside for me was the pay showers. It was 75 cents for a six minute shower, and change machines were right there, but hey, I want free showers.

Accessible, family-pet friendly site.

We camped with friends, campsite was very roomy with plenty of space for the pups and kiddos. We even brought our own disc basket and had plenty of space to play. The grounds were clean, well kept, restrooms were clean. While the park is relatively small, it is very family friendly with a nice playground,swimming pool. There is a rock climbing area that looks to be a great place for beginners. Everything was walkable. Nice trails that people of all ages and abilities were using. I wish there had been another trail that was longer, I wouldn’t recommend for serious hikers. It’s just about an hour drive from OKC which means we will be back for another quick weekend getaway.

Quiet Lake Views

Though still open for the season this campground looks a little forgotten with few campers, overgrown sites and subpar restrooms. Buy the views from these sites at dusk are u paralleled by other sites on the lake.

Sites here are pretty standard with a picnic table, grill and prep station. The road is narrow and though you could navigate an RV here I would not recommend a longer unit.

I found this site to be less improved than Kiowa and less used, however their day use area was nicer with large picnic shelters which can be reserved and include electricity.

The site I selected was waterfront but high enough above the waterline that I would not fear lake waters rising and flooding my space. I was able to easily pull into my site in my small car. The views from this area are uncorrupted by structures and trees and you can clearly see much of the lake, making for beautiful sunsets.

The restrooms at this location were mere pit toilets and it looked as though these hadn’t been maintained in a while. One door was ajar on the men’s restroom midcamp and there were no sinks only non potable water on a spigot outside the restroom.

Day Use Only

This site is a great place for those looking to have a launch for Day Use. Much like the other launch site Beaver Creek, it offers a large launch area and marina for those boating on Waurika Lake with limited amenities for usage.

This site utilizes an honor system for payment and while I was there for over an hour I didn't notice a single ranger coming to enforcement or check payment, I was told during the busier months there is someone who patrols more regularly.

The water level does not seem to effect this site as much as Beaver so you could access the entire ramp area through rains had pushed the bounds of the lake upward tremendously. The ramp itself seemed entirely accessible still.

Parking at this area is very nice for larger rigs making it ideal for boat trailers or RVs looking to enjoy the lake for the day, although swimming is out of the question as there is no swimming beach. You can find one just a bit up the road at the Kiowa Park I.

TIPS:

• Make sure you follow the directions on the pay slip correctly.

• There is no store at this location so make sure to bring your supplies with you.

Unkept Grasslands

When I pulled into this campsite I wasn’t sure what to expect. Being on the opposite side of the earthen dam from other campsites along Lake Waurika I didn’t know what if anything would be of interest.

I noticed when pulling in this area offers a couple of hiking trails which is vastly different than the lakeside camping. Sites here were mostly shaded and more of a grassland feel. With that being said after recent rains they looked a little unkept with y’all weeds in many areas making for some questionable conditions.

I found sites at this camp both with and without hook ups. All sites looked to have large pull in slots, however the main road was pretty small so I would assume you need to be very good with your rig if it is longer to navigate into sites.

As a tent camper all these sites looked to have good prospect for placing a tent. Grass surrounding the area would make for a very padded site and with a picnic table, prep table and grill in each site when the grounds are maintained I could see this being a great spot to try.

The other negative I did see to this camp was the low laying areas seemed to hold water so many campsites were a bit saturated on the improved side of camp. Little lakes basically were everywhere. Unfortunately this side was also the area with the better restroom so to get a good spot you would have to walk a farther distance to be able to use the facilities which were cleaner.

Pricing was very fair at this location and during busier season I can only imagine they mow the area which would make it ideal for camping of any kind. But as it sits it felt kind of like a ghost town.

TIPS:

• Take a good drive through camp before selecting a site then drive back to the kiosk to make reservations through the honor box.
  • Don’t overshoot camp entrance because there are no real turn arounds if you are in a larger rig.
Day Use Only

On some maps this spot appears as a dispersed camping area however when I arrived it is very clearly marked "Day Use Only". The road to the public use area is wide enough for two passing vehicles with boats and there is plenty of space for longer rigs to park when you get to the boat ramp area. There is also a restroom with vault toilets and trash cans in this area.

For those using the area there is an honor pay station just off the boat ramp area and cost is very reasonable.

For those wanting to visit the lake and swim, this isn't the right place to do so. There is no swimming beach at this location and it does mention that you cannot swim near the ramp.

When I visited the recent rains had the lake swelling to a pretty high level and the waters had pushed up well over the the typical as can be seen in the picture attached of the dock which typically sets beside the launch area but is now underwater at the shore line. As a result a lot of people had pulled their boats in at camping areas across the lake rather than requiring a day use fee.

TIPS:

• Remember if using this area to lock your doors and hide anything of value, even though this isn't a high traffic area always better safe than sorry.
  • Take toilet paper with you. Though they do have toilets sometimes it is not stocked regularly and depending on traffic you would be better safe than sorry.
  • Check fishing tournament schedules. This ramp is used heavily when they have hosted fishing tournaments so if you are a recreational boater and do not want to have to struggle with finding a parking space or to many other boaters just check in advance.
Seasonally Open

I went to go check out campgrounds around the lake and this one had been recommended by someone in the community of Waurika. Unfortunately when I went out here though it was closed!! There is a nice mercantile and boat storage area just outside of the gate which could explain the recommendation because amenities are so close, however when I arrived the gates were locked.

TIPS:

• Check your visitation in advance for months of operation at this campground along with others.

• When coming to this area check for local events including fishing tournaments and the infamous RattleSnake Roundup.

Hiking, Climbing or Exploring

When driving down 40 everything seems so flat, then you turn into this state park and it unexpectedly takes your breath away as you begin to descend into the canyon and are surrounded by the bold red canyon walls.

I had no idea what to expect when I first entered the park and the more and more deep I drove into the canyon but I became more and more excited as I saw a trail jut off to the right, and a spring trickling down the hillside to the left. A pull off just before the tent campground with a view point of the waterway opened up to another point of interest.

Then there was the camping area, nestled in the cove of the canyon with climbing walls on both sides, large shade trees, picnic tables, fire rings and more access to hiking. Restrooms were well maintained and included pay showers separate from the restroom facilities themselves. Very fair pricing and views that simply would not stop!!

Just up the way a bit further were improved tent and RV sites with electricity, dump stations and less removed feeling. Pay stations were located in each of the camps and rangers circled to make sure you were ok pretty regularly.

TIPS:

• Make reservations if you are wanting an RV site during busy times of year or weekends.
  • If you are a climber, there are plenty of walls, but you have to bring your own gear.
Nice in the fall but summers can be hot. The lake is nice but only when the

The crystalline baryte red rose rocks are easy to find

Great For Fishing

In our opinion after coming from a really great campground with everything you need, this park didnt really rate too high on our scale. However, others might think differently. It was a great.campground for fishing (we dont fish). There is a store near where we were staying that catered to those fisherman. Also had a kitchen with several items on their menu. Boat rental is available. The pull through site we reserved was not paved. There was a kiddie park right across from our site that had spider webs all over it. A downer for those in tents, you have to pay for showers. There were handicap rv site near restrooms. Some wildlife, bugs (something Ive never seen before flew on me and gave me a nasty bite) the sites are really close together and traffic is heavy. Roads are thin. Picnic tables and fire ring was available at our site. The pier was pretty nice and we enjoyed watching the geese. There is a dump station just outside the exit across the street from park office. No full hook ups on our site. There looked to be some really nice sites right off the water, overlooking the lake. Not much shade where we were at even though I reserved a spot with shade, it only covered about half of our rig.

Easy access into park from freeway

Gravel stalls. Plenty long enough for rv and car trailer. Walking distance to Trading Post. Buffaloes on site in a pen. Interesting jumping structure and tons of park equipment to work out on.

Only 2 stars

We had a nice time there and weather helped out, not 110F, though there is a big BUT.

Portapotties were in great shape. They were cleaned every day and mostly restocked with toilet paper. Blue Moose did a great job

The on-site built restroom/shower house were terrible.

Every trail we hiked was struned with trash.

9am Saturday they closed the park to new arrivals. 5000 person capacity.

The overnight camping fees are a little ridiculous. We stayed Friday, Saturday, and left on Sunday 10am (must leave RV spot by noon). We arrived after 4pm to avoid the day fees on Friday. We had to pay for the Sunday day fees whether we stayed all-day or not.

Two adults, one 30amp RV spot for two days and two nights = $150!!

Nice camping along Route 66

I stopped off to camp here after a long day on the road and was pleasantly surprised about the tent campground after driving through a packed, wall to wall RV camping area. The tent area is set quite a ways from the RV area, so there are no concerns about generator noise or overcrowding. While you generally can see most of the campsites from your site, they are pretty well spaced apart and some have nice underbrush between them for privacy. I ended up in a very large site under the red rock wall in an area that is open for rappelling and climbing, but as it was late in the afternoon, I did not have any visitors except some kids who wanted to climb. My site did not have any really good trees for hammocks, but a walk around the loop and visit with neighboring campers showed that some had good trees for hammocks and some did not. I was a short walk to the bathhouse, which was very clean with pay showers on one side and toilets on the other. Just outside the camping area was a neat pond and spillway, a great place for a picnic for day visitors.

Beautiful views of the lake from almost every site

There is a designated swimming area in the campgrounds.  Beautiful, wooded park with large lake that has a section for watersports and fishing.  I wish we had stayed here for more than one night. Definitely a place to return for a visit.  It is a little remote, but there was cell phone reception. Perfect for biking/scooters/walking/swimming.

I will try to stay on the outer rim the next time we go, so that we can enjoy meals by the water.

Try A Weekday

If you have the luxury of checking this place out on a weekday as opposed to weekend you will be a lot more pleased with your stay during late Spring or Summer. The campground is very popular because it has a lot of room to spread out and with campsites only $12.50 per night for primitive camping the price is right for most.

Turner Falls is a popular swimming spot so naturally the campground instantly has a built in following of people who come out. A lot of families but also a lot of younger thrill seekers just wanting to get their feet wet. By coming during the week you avoid a bit more of the party type crowd and get more of the fun.

They do also have spaces for RVs however that wasn't ever where I personally was staying so my knowledge of that area is a bit more limited. It always seemed a bit more claustrophobic than the primitive tent area.

When I was there last I noticed an influx of security from previous visits, I am sure it is because the busy campground tends to entice those summer style parties and they want to keep the incidents down to a minimum.

The area I stayed in was well shaded and had no real amenities. It is the furthest from the falls itself but has creek swimming and more hiking. I enjoyed it because being a bit away from the falls it was a bit more quiet than the closer sites. It was still accessible to the action without having to be in the middle of it all. This was considered to be the "Green" area according to the maps at the park.

A short walk into the "Blue" area and you could find restrooms and showers. I was just off Butterly Road which is literally right up from this zone. I will say however, this section of road is more heavily trafficked than others because it is the main road into the primitive camp area. I noticed that a lot of people were coming and going in the attempt to turn around because they had passed the Blue section somehow so it made for a little more noise than I had anticipated even on a regular day, I can only imagine what it would be like on a weekend.

TIPS:

• Arrive early on weekends for any type of site.
  • Check park maps for the best route to your destination, they are placed throughout the park and clearly marked.
  • Drink Responsibly! There are plenty of patrols out for safety but also to make sure you aren't getting unruly so if you are bringing the party to Turner Falls don't get out of line.

UPDATE (10/2/18)*

This park and its flow of water along the river which is sits experienced abnormal flooding which closed the park as swells of water engulfed much of the lower pool area including roads and some buildings. At the time I visited again to witness the powerful waters of the flood I took the attached videos and photos. Signs were posted that the park would remain closed until further notice, so if attempting to camp here in late 2018 make sure you check the website or call. (Photos taken from upper vantage point where zip line is located just past camping area)

A hidden gem!!

Gorgeous. They have showers and plenty of camping spots.

Great overnight just outside of OK City

This was a perfect place to stay outside of OKC, there was a ranger station with super useful maps and info that you can access even when it’s not open. There were bathrooms and showers that were pretty nice for a park. There were a lot of spots as well as grills and picnic tables. They even had a handicap accessible camping spot.

Love red rock

Have been going here for years. Family loves to climb and rappel the canyon walls. Bathrooms are clean and the pay showers are reasonable and hot. Love the nature it provides for us.

Lovely Campsites/ Abused Park

Turner falls is gorgeous park with plenty of room for everyone to swim and lots to explore. There is also a castle you can explore but the park has gone a little downhill. People have spray painted all over the place and there is trash everywhere.

The campsites are awesome for someone who enjoys spread out and more secluded sites away from others. You can find some that are fairly spread out and hidden if you look hard enough.