About Black Mountain Campground

The campground is located in the shadow of Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain in the east at 6,684 ft. Accessing this mountain from the campground can be accomplished via Forest Rt. 472, a scenic but steep and curvy drive. From within the campground take a right on Rt. 472 and drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway (NOT for RVs). Take a right on the Parkway and proceed several miles to the Mt. Mitchell State Park and the mountain. Great views of the Black Mountains and several trails.

Large football-size sports area. Horseshoes, volleyball, frisbee, etc.

SEASONS Open Seasonal: Yes Open All Year: No

Sites
Price
$22.00 - $44.00
National Forest
Black Mountain Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
From Busick, NC, take State Rt. 80 north 0.7 miles to campground sign at South Toe River Rd.(Forest Rt. 472 and State Rt. 1205). Bear left onto South Toe Rd. and go 2.5 miles to campground.
13 Reviews of Black Mountain Campground
In the heart of it all...

Ranger Review: Primus New Primetech CampFire Utility Sack at Black Mountain Campground, NC.

Campground:

Black Mountain Campground in the Pisgah National Forest, is nestled in Burnsville, NC but you must work at it to get there. https://cfaia.org/black-mountain-briar-bottom-campgrounds-in-north-carolina/

The Black Mountain Campground is an extremely popular campground. During season, the summer month weekends and holidays…book your reservations online, because they don't do it by phone when calling the campground. We chanced it, traveling 8 hours from the backwoods of W.VA to this location, in a bit of a panic as they only had two sites available on a Sunday night. Fortunately for us, we captured the last available site. With only 46 sites, it fills up quick.

I'm sure Black Mountain Campground is popular to different folks for different reasons, but the reasons are many!

I'm not a weekend campground camper by choice…I prefer the backwoods primitive sites during those peak times…but I enjoy campgrounds during the week when the rest of the world is hard at work earning a living.

Black Mountain Campground was jam packed on a Sunday night…and initially more noisy than I like, but by 11 p.m., all you could hear were owls and the South Toe River serenading their sweet sounds.

As stated, we landed on the last available site #9, though conveniently located between the water spigot on one side and the showerhouse/restrooms on the other…not only is it the hub of "activity" all hours of the day and night…the lights remain on all night inside the restrooms and shine out glass peak windows into site #9. Plus it was one of the small sites in the campground. Nonetheless, we had a place to lay our heads…and I was grateful.

The site itself, is a tent only site, with gravel parking along the campground loop roadway. The site is elevated above the roadway and grass and outlined by timbers…a fine chip gravel base for both the picnic table/fire ring area and the separate tent pad area (as are most tent sites in this loop). Most of the sites along the river are tent only sites. The tent sites directly along the riverside are all nice… on the second night we pulled up stakes and moved directly across the campground loop road to site #6 on the river…and a much larger site with trees for hammocking…and great views of the river below (about a 8 foot drop).

The hosts do a marvelous job of keeping this campground spotless and attractive. Three different couples work tirelessly to provide a great camping experience for all-comers. There was not a moment that I did not see at least one of them picking up trash, emptying trash containers, scouring showers and restrooms or inquiring if you had need of anything. The showers and restrooms are impeccably clean and supplied…and there are several throughout this small campground. The service they provided was more hospitable than most five star hotels I've been to. May their tribe increase! They'll deliver firewood ($5) to your site by golf cart, they even will collect your site fees as they drive around.

Here are a few reasons I find this campground so popular: Trails…and lots of them…in every direction. You can begin the Mountain to Sea Trail here…the start of the Mt. Mitchell Trail (11.2 roundtrip) begins in the campground with non-campground hikers having a parking lot just across the bridge. Interesting sidenote: non-campground hikers can use the restrooms, but must pay $5 if they desire to utilize the showers. That's fair. There is a nice trail to SetRock Falls, right on the campground property…and several other foot trails to keep you busy and hiking.

Interestingly, the gravel forest road up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, that most people will take to drive to Mt. Mitchell, is lined with several pull-off primitive campsites. Most are situated either on a water source (the South Toe River) or close by where you can access water for filtration and use. No other facilities. Those tenting areas are marked with a brown (mile marke style plastic post) sign with a "tent emblem" at the top. These are free spots, so they fill pretty quick. Note that the gravel road is steep at times and minimally maintained, it is more a forest service road, so washboard and pot holes abound. I might drive your Lexus sedan on it, but I wouldn't drive mine …if I owned one.

Also note that the trails are just that…trails…heavily traveled trails…so use proper footwear…rocks and roots abound. I'd even recommend trekking poles for sure-footedness and stability.

Another highlight closeby the campground is the Roaring Fork Falls, a short half mile walk back from a side road parking lot. The parking lot is small, so arrive early. The trail is also a forestry service road of some sort, but the trail to the falls is marked by a blue diamond blaze. Its a bit of a root infested scamper, but worth it.

There is a swimming hole on the South Toe River in the campground just beyond the end of the riverside sites. It has a small sandy "beach" area and a neck deep refreshing hole.

The campground office is tiny, but they sell ice cream bars for a buck! Say what?! Its true…I capitalized.

The Black Mountain Campground was a relaxing highlight during our travels, one which I look forward to returning to.

Product Review: Primus New Primetech CampFire Utility Sack

The New Primus Primetech CampFire Utility Sack is an 8 liter watertight, roll-top, rip-stop poly/cotton dream!

I purchased the Primetech CampFire Utility Sack from their website specifically for a backcountry backpacking trip. I figured if Primus' claims of watertightness and durability were accurate, this Utility Sack would be just what I was looking for. At $25, it wasn't going to break the bank if it was a disappointment.

When the Primetech CampFire Utility Sack arrived, I was suspect because it appeared so small in its packaging, so I immediately thought it was neither large enough or tough enough. The spoiler: I was wrong.

The ripstop poly/cotton material is stout and durable. I'd use the term bombproof, but no sooner do you say that…it fails…but I beat this sack up and it still looks new.

Its my favorite backcountry color…black…so it won't show stains with extended use and abuse.

The interior utilizes a heavy waterproof seam sealed coating. Stitching is heavy duty too. The roll-down closure is rimmed with webbing for added durability and a sturdy metal hook closure.

My thoughts of use were several…but main usage for the trip fell into gathering water to cook and filter, away from the water source…and one that perhaps Primus did not consider…a bear bag. Yep! I put five days worth of meals (for 3) and trail snacks…and some scented sundry items…secured the rolltop…ran paracord around the handle and hoisted it high into the air each night (well, except one night where the only trees were small tundra confiers). Not sure if the bears saw or smelled it…but it served the purpose with flying colors. Bonus: because of the CampFire Utility Sack's watertightness…when used as a hung bear bag…the contents remained dry despite the deluge we endured.

An unexpected but delightful use, that I'm sure disclaimers will now follow, because of its watertightness, durability and looped handle…it makes a wonderful buoyancy float when cruising lazy river currents on your back. Of course, I never saw anyone attempt this craziness…um…but it works.

Do realize that 8 liters of water is 16.74 pounds…so you don't want to haul it a long journey, but you could. Even resting the CampFire Utility Sack on the ground when filled, the contents stay contained within…in equal parts the tough exterior material, watertight interior coating and rolldown closure, and a flat bottom. When empty the New Primetech CampFire Utility Sack folds up surprisingly small and flat.

The Primus New Primetech CampFire Utility Sack is a very welcomed addition to my backpacking and campground stable of neccessities.

Great Spur of the Moment Getaway!

This Campground had openings for same day camping when my husband and I ended up here trying to getaway for a few days. We Loved this camp site and will certainly come back. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the camp, restrooms, and showers were really clean. We hiked all around and sincerely enjoyed the sounds of the creek running by our campsite. Overall 10/10 would come again!

A gem in the mountains.

The park ranger at Mount Mitchell told us about Black Mountain Campground and it was worth the search. It is off the beaten path but is an amazing place to stay and hike. The restrooms are very clean and were new when we were there in 2015. Each campsite has plenty of room to spread out and amazing views of the mountains. There is a small river running through the campground that will lull you to sleep after a long day. There is a huge playground and ball field at the campground.