the dyrt
Polkville, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Polkville Camping Reviews
Clean and well maintained campground.

Sites are close together, however there are lots of activities for the kids.

Full hook ups available, some with cable. The stream and lake are beautiful. Next time I will reserve a spot near the lake.

Nice Campground

We stayed here over the summer and really enjoyed it. It is prime location to downtown chimney rock and lake lure beach/water park. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had a site that was covered and that was nice to have. We were right on the river so the sound was serene and sight was beautiful. Definitely plan on returning again for another trip.

Nice park and close to Charlotte.

Campground is part of Carowinds amusement park. Cabins and RV spaces are available. Prices are rather expensive during the season, but reasonable off-season. I've stayed here twice while visiting nearby Charlotte, and was pleased with the facility. RV spaces are a nice size with plenty of grass. Some airplane noise from planes using CLT, but wasn't bothersome. It's a short drive to restaurants and shopping, and very convenient if visiting Charlotte and surrounding cities. Will stay again.

Catawba Camping

The sites in this family campground are right on top of each other, so you will not have privacy! The bathhouse was not good, and pretty far away, and there was only one for the entire property. They have some cabins and a tiny house that you can rent, those looked cool. The owner is super nice, and the sites are right on the creek, so you hear the running water all night so that is really nice, and you are close to Black Mountain, Montreat, and not too far from Asheville.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google Maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in) but the Parkway's Crab Tree Meadows and Crab Tree Falls campgrounds are one and the same. It's all a little confusing.

This is a wonderful stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are few campgrounds that are a park of the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park area. This campground passed by more often than some of the bigger Parkway campgrounds which means that it doesn't fill up as quickly. That doesn't mean that it won't full up. I visited in late October and the campground was pretty darn full by early evening.

This is one of the few national parks where you can collect firewood. However, campers are prohibited from bringing their own wood in, especially from out of state, unless it was been properly treated.

There are picnic tables, fire pits, and running water in the bathrooms. It's a little but funny that many of the campsites share parking with neighboring sites. It was occasionally challenging to tell which parking went with which site. Many of the sites are a little removed from their parking spot which help create separation between the sites.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

The campground hosts were very friendly. If you have time take the short but very steep hike down to the actual falls.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in). It's all a little confusing.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

Great Campground!

I’m not typically in love with state park campgrounds, but this was was perfect! Our campsite was just up the trail from the lake, you could see and walk to the lake from our spot. Other campers aren’t right on top of you and the whole area was fairly quite. The dogs enjoyed themselves as well!

Wilderness retreat at Montreat

This is a campground that is part of the retreat and conference facilities adjacent to Montreat College. It is located in a peaceful, idyllic hollow alongside Flat Creek, just north and east of Black Mountain, NC. This is truly a special place for a spiritual time-out, to “go to the hills, from whence cometh my strength” and to “be still and know that I am God.” The location is breathtakingly beautiful, you can hike the surrounding mountain and river trails for all the solitude you want, fly fish in local streams, participate in the colleges nature programs or wilderness adventure classes, attend lectures workshops or conferences at the college or conference center, or head into the nearby village of Black Mountain for local mountain music, heritage crafts and regional cuisine. This is really a peaceful magical place for family friendly camping or a solo pilgrimage of sorts.

Rural campground on a creek

This campground is located in Rosman NC, west of Brevard. We camped here as a base camp for day hikes in the area. It is very wooded, in a valley with a creek running alongside the tent camping sites. The scenery is gorgeous and horses and chickens were sweet. The tent sites are small, smaller than average park campsites. We woke to the smell of our neighbor smoking and coughing throughout the night.

The facilities are good, nice hot water in sinks and showers. Clean bathrooms etc. We also had a spigot and plug near our campsite if we needed them. The people were extremely friendly and kind.

We like for our kids to be able to run, play and explore while camping and this was not the site for that. Across the creek is a busy road which was not busy during the night, but had constant travel during the day.

Quick Overnight

1 night stay while traveling the east coast. Sites are on top of each other with no privacy and limited shade. Only bathroom is at the main entrance so if you’re not equipped with your own bathroom you’re doing a lot of walking. Campground is right next to the interstate so you definitely could hear road traffic all night long. Convenient stop for traveling but would not want to spend multiple days here.

Away from the crowds at Crowder Mountain!

Crowder Mountain State Park is indeed a perfect place for day use--but in contrary to what some previous reviewers mentioned, it is also a neat place to camp if you don't mind a one mile hike in to the campground. See the camping info here:

It isnt a rugged hike, but you must be prepapred to pack everything in. The part of the park that is best to go to is the Sparrow Springs access, some folks may not be aware that there are actually several entrances to the park, and the main entrance with trails to the Crowder Mountain overlook is NOT what you want, that is indeed only a day use area. See park map here: https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/crowders-mountain-park-map_0.pdf

If you start off in other areas of the park you would have a much longer backpack into the camping area but it is still do-able. But Sparrow Springs is the best and easiest way to go.

The campsites are located off the Pinnacle Trail, and there are actually two campgrounds, one with large group sites, and one with individual and family campsites. See campsite map here: https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/crowders-mountain-campground-map.pdf

It is well worth the hike in for a terrific rustic camping experience!

Note: there is also a driveable gravel road that is not open for the general public to drive on, but staff can, and those with permission to access the handicapped accessible campsites at the group camp can also get permission to drive to the top. Note however, that the handicapped accessible campsites are still tent only sites, and the accessible toilet is still a pit toilet!

Secluded fall camping at Copperhead

This is an awesome camping area with an unfortunate name! But we were here in October so we didnt worry about snakes. This island campground is located in a county park on the shores of Lake Wylie adjacent to the McDowell Nature Preserve, which also has a campground. The Copperhead Island sites are more rustic however, and you must hike in our boat in to camp here. Tent pads, picnic tables, fire grates, and docks are provided, and campsites are wooded, well spaced, and secluded. You can, in fact, reserve the whole island for group camping if you like! I hear that Lake Wylie is really busy in summer, a lot of boat and day use traffic, but the lake was quiet in October, and no one else but us on the island the weekend we were there. Highly recommended for autumn camping, both because of the quieter season, and because snakes are hibernating!

My favorite Campground

I love this campground. Only 9 sites means it's never too busy although that can make it hard to book sometimes since it is really popular in season. We've been camping there for over 30 years and there have been a lot of changes over that time but I still love that park. The views from the campground and the platform at the summit are beautiful and the whole park is well maintained. It's close enough to Asheville to run down for lunch or sightseeing just make sure you are back in the park by 8 PM because the gate closes then and it's an uphill semi-strenuous walk to the campground from there if you are locked out. :-)

Gorgeous campground with great trails

One of my favorite campgrounds in NC. Black mountain is gorgeous and hosts great hiking and biking trails. Sites are spacious, clean, and well-maintained. We got our site first come first serve during a holiday weekend, so we got lucky! Campground has tent and RV sites, some of which are located on a small river. Staff was welcoming and helpful-- they come and deliver ice and firewood to you if requested. We hiked mount Mitchell one day which was rigorous, but incredible. A must stay if camping in NC.

A hikers dream

I absolutely LOVED this campground! The campsites are at the base of a mountain with tons of great hiking trails within the park. They even had a food truck most days, so you really don't have to leave the campground unless you want to. They are also dog friendly. The location is also within an hour of Asheville and thirty minutes from lots of other great mountain towns. I'd definitely stay here again!

Loved the stay!

This camping experience was a little different than the normal camping experience. We stayed in a cabin, and it was perfect. We had been traveling in SC for 2 weeks, camping in tents so this was a pleasant surprise by my parents. We actually got to sleep in beds, which was amazing. These cabins were great, and perfect size for my family of 5. There were bunk beds, all you needed were sleeping bags and pillows. Small little kitchen, and area to sit and bathroom. It felt great to shower! There were hikes nearby and we also did some biking which was a blast. The weather was perfect, and we enjoyed our stay. There was a cute little burger joint down the road that was amazing! Highly recommend. There was also a small lake nearby, although we did not go here because we only stayed for 2 days and wanted to get as much hiking and biking in as we could. Tons of fun, and highly recommend staying in the cabins!

Great Hiking And Day Use

I saw state park and was excited about the potential of another great site in North Carolina. I was not disappointed in that it offered amazing hiking. But signs clearly depicted it to be a day use only facility which was a little bit of a bummer.

I spent the afternoon hiking on a trail which was marked moderate but I’d honestly say was more strenuous. Lots of people come to do the Tower hike here!!

When I pulled out I saw even more signs just further reminding me of the day use …. for camping it’s a 1 (which is what matters on this site) however for the activities it is a 4. I found it to be a good compromise to give it a 3 overall because I did like the site, just wish it had organized camping because limited information was available about permits for potential back country camping like I had seen on here.

Charming Campground

Following highways signs looking for this campground I didn’t know what to expect. I was hoping for a tent site but wasn’t sure what I would find. In this area I had seen many RV parka but few tent site areas so I was pleased to pull up and see tents!

When I went into the office I was greeted by a very pleasant woman who gave me a map and told me a bit about the camp, which included a nice restroom/laundry and pool area (seasonally open).

They also offered WiFi and hiking trails right in the camping facility which was right up my alley!!

I arrived just before the end of the summer season so everything was up and running and it was perfect! The camp offers a small camp store and is also relatively close to other stores in neighboring town.

TIPS:

• Opt for a spot a little further away from the office, it is quieter and closer to trails.

• Drive slowly on the way out to the campsite, not just on the gravel road but on the main road, there are several patrols right before the turn off which use the hill area for a good hiding spot because the hill causes you to speed if you are a bit heavy. BE MINDFUL!

New Campground

Pool is amazing. Tons of stuff for the kids to do.

Hidden Gem in the Mountains

A very friendly place for people and pets. A storm was coming in and they called to check our ETA to let us know set up might be critical. Plenty of hiking trails. Activity room being remodeled after a flood. Pool looked nice but it was too early in the season to be open. An activity director is on hand for various programs and hiking recommendations.

Awesome place

While it is close to a highway it is far enough away not to hear it but convenient to many places to visit including Asheville, The Blue Ridge Parkway and many national Forests and Parks. It is situated on a small river which makes a wonderful backdrop noise to the experience and your sleep. A short not overly strenuous hike to beautiful Catawba Falls to enjoy the beauty of the North Carolina mountains. The staff is helpful and the facilities are more than adequate. Highly recommend this campsite

Brand new campground

This is an awesome place to stay with your family. Very family oriented.

Laid back

It's nice and lake veiw

Great vibes, super clean. Leave no trace y'all! C: great job!

Super clean, respect it just as others have. Plenty of space, bring the family. Dog friendly!!!!

Great for equestrians

Spent many weeks here over the past few years. Its a clean and well maintained park with beautiful trails and lake. Perfect for equestrian as most of the trails are horse friendly and there is a large arena free to use. The barn is clean as well and provides stall shavings for a small fee.

nice little camp

has restrooms and showers. there is also a camp host that lives on site. beautiful scenery and lots of hiking trials around. my favorite place.

Great little hideaway!

Loved this campground! Great level tent pads, lots of trees for shade, rhododendrons galore! Great trees for Hammock camping!! Only downside was it Poured on us, but the campground doesn't control mother nature! Weather made the hike to Linville Falls nearly unbearable - but the view when we got there . . . AMAZING!!!! Would love to stay here again!

Nice County Pk., no frills

Very nice County Pk. with many hiking trails and a lake area for fishing. Boating off site. No Frills. Electric & water site. Clean, private lockable bathroom/shower

1 night stay

Easy in and out.Very friendly staff.