The best YURTS camping near
Horse Shoe , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Horse Shoe Camping Reviews
Poor water pressure

Cute, Friendly Campground

Love this family owned campground!! The sites weren't right on top of each other, but you can definitely see your neighbors with ease. The family that owns it lives on site. They have a pancake breakfast on the weekends, which was nice. They also have a store on site that has everything you didn't know you forgot!! Bathrooms were quite a walk from our site, so we drove to it when needed. The campground is pet friendly!! Dump station on site was convenient!

Pretty and convenient.

20 minutes from downtown Asheville, we got to enjoy the city a little bit while also camping. Campground and staff were great but campsites are extremely close together (we stayed at hard times loop), some of the RV sites at Big John Loop seem to have a bit more privacy, however those are completely paved and not suitable for tents. We have Verizon and usually get service everywhere even spotty locations but our phones hardly worked there and definitely no internet. We got lucky (due to the cold I think), the site next to us was empty until our last day. The showers kinda suck, it’s a few seconds of timed release, if you’re trying to get clean and wash your hair having to keep pushing a button every 30 seconds that the water goes out is pretty annoying, specially when it’s so cold. And the lack of pressure and position of the shower makes you have to almost lean on the wall.

Wonderful family campground

Just spent the weekend here and loved it! Great place for kids with jump pad, swingset, slides, climbing dome, pool, a creek to explore, hiking trails, and more! We planned to explore the area (Chimney Rock, Lake Lure) but ended up staying the entire time in the campground. Just a beautiful new place, very relaxing. We will definitely be back! Would be a wonderful place to plan a group trip due to the variety of accommodations (RV sites, treehouses, remodeled campers, pods, tent sites, etc.).

First solo trip - perfect spot!

I decided to stay at Lake Powhatan for my first solo camping trip and campsite 063 was the perfect location. I was right next to the campsite host and the bathrooms, so I felt safe the whole time. I went during the week, so despite being next to the bathrooms, it was very quiet. The only downside to this site was the picnic table was directly on top of the trees, so my hammock was almost directly on top of the table. But other than that, I have no complaints.

The bathrooms were very nice. Staff came around and cleaned the bathrooms and showers every morning. And the fact that they were both individual, private rooms were very convenient, as I had my service dog with me, so I was able to bring a towel to put on the ground while I showered and I didn’t have to worry about anyone else in the bathroom trying to pet him.

All of the staff was super friendly, but it was a minor inconvenience that the campground store was closed due to COVID, so if you needed ice or firewood, you had to drive up to the gas station that was a few miles out.

I would definitely go back again though!

Awesome location

Camped here for one night. Busy campground but still pretty private. Amenities were a plus if you’re looking to shower. Only bummer was that dogs aren’t allowed to swim in the lake..Not a bad drive from campground to downtown Asheville!

Great m/c campground

Tent space is nice, flat, grassy, and well cared for. Sits on a river. Cabins are clean. Showers are hot and clean. Big bonfire area in the middle. Owners are super nice, there’s a place to get a hot meal in case you forget your food. Located between Waynesville NC and Pisgah on Hwy 276. Convenient to the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. Great riding in the area, one of my favorite spots to stay.

Do not recommend!

We had a terrible experience here. We rented one of the camping RV's and paid by check in advance. The campground was recommended on a travel group I belong to on facebook. We drove 4 hours and when we showed up and checked in, we were greeted kindly but it went downhill when we went to the RV. The RV was very old(maybe 20 years?) and smelled like mold/mildew. We opened the windows in an effort to air it out. My son and husband thought that it smelled like sewage, and the lights on the black tank indicated full. We went back to the office to inquire about the smell and the black tank. The lady working the desk said her husband would check the black tank after he finished supper and that it should smell like peppermint. I can assure you that it did not. My kids were already asking if they could sleep in the car at this point. The husband checked the tank and said it was empty but the indicator was broken. We were at a loss as to what to do, as we were sure if we stayed, we would have gotten sick. Two of us have asthma and 2 of us have allergies and I was afraid that if we stayed in it, we would be sick with bronchitis as that is usually what happens when I am exposed to mold. Also, given covid- I don't think most people would want this risk. The husband said that RV"has always smelled like that since we bought it." We remembered that their camping cabins looked newer online and thought that may be a better option so we asked if we could switch to one of them(they are less expensive and we were fine with that). Unfortunately, since it was Labor Day weekend, they were all booked as well as every campsite. They refused to give us a refund or offer any other options. We had no idea where we would go as it was 6:00 at night and everywhere seemed to be booked for Labor Day weekend. We called a few campgrounds with no luck and ended up eating dinner in town and driving to Asheville to stay at a hotel and returning home the next day. This was so disappointing as we had spent most of the day before we left prepping food, packing, etc. I would never return or recommend this place due to how they handled our situation, with no concern at all and keeping our money with no solution offered. I can only guess that if you bring your own tent or RV, the rest of the campground is acceptable since the reviews overall are good. But definitely DO NOT rent the RV's- unless you can tolerate high levels of mold and want to pay$100 a night for a worn out, smelly RV.

A true hidden gem!

We took our camper to Emberglow for its maiden voyage. We were straight from the Camping World in Hendersonville. We picked the best place for our first trip. Emberglow is amazing! The pool is the best I’ve been to at any hotel. It isn’t a large campground so the pool wasn’t busy. The bathhouses were amazing with granite countertops, tile floor and walls, along with a beautiful mural. We have since realized that is not the norm in other campgrounds. We were a little spoiled since this was our first impression of camping. Our son enjoyed the jump pad and playing in the creek. There was a volleyball court that we didn’t get to enjoy and they were in the midst of building a playground. A nice dog park was on site also. We can’t wait to return! It was only a 10 minute drive to Lake Lure & Chimney Rock for eating out and exploring.

So many activities!

This was our second trip to Yogi Golden Valley but the first trip with our new camper. We had a wonderful weekend! My family rented a cabin on the creek. Golf carts are a must to get around since the campground is so big! The kids enjoyed the water park, putt putt, gem mining, fishing, crafts and tie dying shirts. There were several activities we didn’t get a chance to do this trip (kayak, laser tag and the playground). We will definitely be back! It’s within an hour drive for us and you can’t beat it!