The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Horse Shoe , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Horse Shoe Camping Reviews
Laurel group site bordering the Toe River

Tis campground is a little hard to find because it is off of the beaten path but close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went during the peak leaf season and of course, had to book the site super early. But we snagged the belle of the ball with the Laurel group site. The maximum number of people in the site is 50 (pre Covid) but we were a group of 3 families with 11 people and it was the perfect size for this size group. There were steps leading down to the river with a small spot for a 2 person tent. There were also a number of dispersed tent sites with room to spread out. We had our own very clean restroom that was not in the way but accessible. There are a number of trails to access from the site including Setrock Falls. Even though the campground was full, we felt completely private in our site. The Toe River is the real gift of this site. The constant sounds around you and the river loop trail allowed you to explore further. This is a perfect site for kids because it is open and the river is shallow enough. I would highly recommend this site any time of year because of the river but fall adds a special quality with the leaves all around.

No showers but

Pretty clean bathrooms. Easy to find sites. PLENTY of rangers. Heads up: if you have a cooler or water jug it needs to be in your car while you’re sleeping or away from the CG. Nothing food or prep related can be left unattended. I have a large Pelican bear resistant cooler that lives on my hitch rack. It’s locked to my car frame, ratcheted down to both sides of the rack and locked shut. Upon telling the ranger it did not fit in my car, he inspected it, said “mm it seems rugged enough” and let us be. Would stay again for sure.

Nice campground, bad arrival experience

The campground itself is nice. Great location off of newfound gap road, with tent sites along a rushing creek. Large sites, although not very private. Flush toilets and running water, but no showers. The office staff was friendly. A few trails start from the campground with plenty more a quick drive away.

My arrival left a bad taste in my mouth. Long story short, my reserved site had equipment set up when I arrived after hours (8pm) and a call to the ranger gave me three options: move that person’s tent, take someone else’s reserved spot (campground was full) or leave and go to another campground. I was told there was no ranger or camp host to assist. I grabbed a reserved spot and luckily no one showed up. The next morning, I asked the office if I could just keep my new spot, rather than set up everything again and was told that I could not. However, the office told me that the person on my spot should not be there, but they did nothing to move him. I had to wait until he left on his own so I could move my stuff, wasting a lot of the morning.

This was my fifth trip to the Smokies this year, and it is obvious that the most visited national park is also the most understaffed. Very little ranger presence and consequently plenty of disregard for the rules, especially after 5pm.

Lots of history, hiking, & fun

Great place to camp. 2 Fishing lakes. Boat rentals. Loaner fishing rods, must have SC license.

We loved this place

Nice campground, nice facilities, nice trails.

Quiet area, 0 reception

The area very serene, quiet and pretty. Nice hiking area and swimming area. If you need to get ahold of someone though you'll have to drive 10 to 15 minutes into town.

Great Tent Sites!

Only stayed one of our two nights due to rain but we hope to be back! Our site was great size for our two vehicles to back into. Set up our area and hammocks!

A fun get away in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains

One of the gems of the Palmetto State. Oconee has a variety of hiking trails and private, wooded campsites. The fishing lake has a netted swimming area and the option to rent kayaks and paddle boats. The replica of the historic water wheel is a must see! Be sure to stop at the visitors center for free WiFi because you won't have a cell signal anywhere else :-)

Super quiet

Really quiet and very relaxing. We had a campsite overlooking the lake. It was very beautiful. However there are no poles for the trash so the squirrels tore our trash out and there are aweful flying bugs at night. Millions of tiny bugs covered our lights at night. We had to turn our lights off. Not the campgrounds fault though. Other than that we enjoyed our weekend here.