the dyrt
Ahoskie, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Ahoskie Camping Reviews
Morden campsites, great setup

Updated campsites. Nice setup. Didn't stay long enough to comment more

Could not love this place more!

Went here with our camping and hiking group and also have been here for 2 different festivals with camping - looove it! You walk into the woods which is kept neat and pick a spot to set up your tent - I looove that! Fishing on the lake was a blast! Family owned and operated so they take great pride in making sure you are having a great tie and have all ya need! Camp store, pool, rvs, tents, lake and fishing - everything ya need for a great weekend! and CHEAP to boot! This place is fantastic and just can't be beat!

This campground was very quiet an Economical an dog friendly an stuff for

They need to no that if you go on a rainy season bring boots.

Stayed here one weekend

Only stayed here one weekend, in the transient section. Nice enough place, just too far out of town for my needs at that time.

Great inner city campground

This is a former KOA, I stayed here years ago when it was a KOA, and have spent considerable amount of time here fairly recently. They cater mostly to monthly campers, and aside from allowing some small decks to be built next to the RV's, it otherwise looks very clean. They do keep a few sites open for transient campers. If you need to stay for a duration in the Norfolk-Va Beach area (we're talking months), this is the place to be! Several sites have good access to satellite system.

Super staff! Nice place to relax

We just stayed 2 nights but wished we had planned for more. The kids loved the pool and playground. The staff were so kind and helpful. RV site was easy to maneuver and hook ups were easy to get to.

Lots of Options but pricey and a little overrated.

This campground has some really great camp sites right on the river. It has a waterpark, but the chlorine was so strong, our eyes were burning after 10 minutes. The river access was by far it's best feature. They also hold theme nights and small concerts. We had a nice stay, but definitely wouldn't pay the high price again.

very small pond long term sites

most of the sites are monthly rentals, not a place i would choose for a family weekend. nice area to rent for an event. nice swimming area for kids especially.

Amazing State Park

While this was quite a trek for us from Charlotte, it was worth it. We stayed five nights in March 2018 in the family campground. The site was clean and spacious, easy to maneuver our small (18ft) TT into. Although there are no hook ups, there are water points close to every site, and a centrally located bathhouse. We received enough sunlight during the day for our solar panels to keep any batteries that needed it (including the TT battery) charged up. The staff at the visitors center was incredibly friendly, including the rangers who were eager to answer any questions we may have had. We rented a canoe and toodled around the pond in search of the resident alligator which we found. They do advise of a known tick problem, but with taking the proper precautions we had no problem with us or the dogs. We will absolutely be back.

Family fun

Nice clean family campgoung near home, lots to do for the kids

Stars

Nice lake. Good sites. Has a nice trail and boardwalk.

Cool & Unique Paddling

What a rare and beautiful eco-system the cypress swamp is! The state park offers several camping options: drive in, hike in and canoe in.

Each drive in site has a picnic table, fire ring/grill and tent pad. There are showers, spigots and restrooms for campers staying here. There are three canoe-in sites, two of them have pit toilets and the third requires you to pack out all waste. If you want to enjoy the amenities of the drive-in sites but want to spend time canoeing the pond (which I highly recommend) then that's certainly an option, too.

There aren't many eco-systems like this left so it's absolutely worth checking out.

Step Back in Time

We were looking for a reasonably quick (one overnight) camping trip that was different, but within a 2ish hour drive. Someone had once mentioned MMSP and so we decided to reserve 2 sites, and overnight canoes. It was everything we hoped for. The visitor's center was surprisingly modern. The check in process was seamless, the ranger gave us some great tips. Canoes are self service (you have to get them off the rack, get paddles and lifejackets yourself). Put in is easy, and they use a buoy system to help navigate to the canoe-in campsites. The cypress trees, swamp flora and fauna are amazing. One of my kids caught a gar, we saw a bald eagle's nest, snakes, frogs, turtles, and lily pads everywhere. Our campsites were not directly on the water. At first we were a little bummed the water front weren't available but it worked out for the best. Our sites were more private, a shorter walk to the pit toilet, and the trees provided a slight buffer from the tremendous sounds of the frogs at night!

Awesome State Park

I recently visit Merchants Millpond State Park! It was incredible beautiful expertise for me, since I not kayak in a swamp before.

Upon visiting this park, I arrived at the Visitor center with a warm welcome and smile. The lady was very helpful, since I not know the park. She help get me arrange into family campground. Beautiful shaded, spaceless with woods campground with nice hot showers and bathrooms to access to. There are primitive campgrounds, that you need to paddle to in the swamp. I think that be great for people who like to adventure out. I saw these camps, they are setup very nice.

My paddling expertise on the water was awesome, for 2 days. So much nature and wildlife to see! Got beautiful photos of my experience. I admit, this is a beautiful place and I will return again.

I recommend visiting place, is awesome experience!

Loved this place!

Our first time to Merchants Millpond State Park was awesome and we're already planning on coming back. We did the canoe-in camping and brought out Hobie kayaks (beware if you bring them our mirage drive seemed to find every downed tree or cypress knob under the water 😜) Buoys marked the different routes to the different areas of the park. Easy to follow. Sites are well maintained and not right on top of each other. All had firepits, grills, and a picnic table. There's a pit toilet towards the back to serve all of the canoe campsites. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I mean, it's a pit toilet but you can tell they kept it up nicely. Extra TP, hand sanitizer, etc. Tons of wildlife to see. Turtles, gators, snakes. Not a place I'd go in the summer because I'd imagine you'd get carried away by bugs but definitely a place to check out in spring or fall.

These February days are why we live in the south...

The 12 trips in 12 months’ progress well. February’s outing was Merchants Mill Pond. What a great place. It probably helps that the bath house had just been redone with fresh paint. But that wasn’t the only thing. The park staff was friendly and the camp sites are nice and spaced well apart. Each site had a fire pit, tent site and picnic table. I am not sure that all the tent spaces were leveled, but if you pay attention when you set your tent up you should be fine.

I happened to be a glorious weekend in February and the temperatures were good enough for a hike in shorts and tee shirts. The trails were well maintained and it was a day well spent on the Lassiter Trail. The park also rents kayaks and there are marked water trails as well. Next trip will include a boat ride and a search for alligators (from a safe distance).

Good hikes, good campground and evenings by the campfire. Definitely on the places to return to list.

checking it out

site: average site. few sites. quiet. amenities: not busy. clean. attractions: Sumerset plantation. lake. hiking. wildlife. boardwalk. Visited the park, checked out the campsites.

Site number 5

The sites are on the small side, especially the tent pad. The sites have good separation between them and don't feel crowded at all. Very well maintained. Very helpful rangers that stopped by daily to welcome us and to collect trash.