About Whetstone Gulf State Park
Whetstone Gulf State Park is located in New York
3 Reviews of Whetstone Gulf State Park
Whetstone Gulf State Park

Tucked away behind acres upon acres of rural farmland, between the Thousand Islands Region and Tug Hill Plateau, is Whetstone Gulf State Park. The Park was fairly crowded, with lots of bustle, and well-suited for large RVs and campers. My sister and I lucked out that upon a late arrival (8:15pm), the main office was still open for check-in. The staff was plenty friendly and assisted to direct us to our site.

Our site, 14, was large and had access to electricity. The trees were tall and towered over the grounds. We were, thankfully, relatively shielded from a brief rainstorm the following morning. I was a bit disappointed with several items of trash found at my site upon arrival, including a glob of paint from a paintball gun on one of the picnic tables. Despite this, I have to say that this site is one of the better options at this campground in terms of privacy and seclusion, even with the bathrooms only being steps away. Sites 32 and 49 were also decent, but many of the sites were open and visible. Think “woodsy suburb”.

As a whole, the grounds were geared towards big campers and RVs. Being a tent camper who savors shade, solitude and quiet, this is not my favorite of parks. Additionally, the loop closest to the “beach house” contained piles of dirt and gravel, leaving something to be desired.

The grounds do have multiple trails, including a gorge trail, which perhaps may offer some redeeming qualities. Though I will have to save them for a future visit. The beach was closed for the season, but the grounds did offer a nice playground for children.

Love this Park!

Smaller park that has large sites and great beach!

Beautiful unknown campground in Upstate New York

Beautiful campground! We visited on a weekend in August and I can't say enough how clean the facilities were. My kids took their shoes off on Friday and did not put them back on until Sunday morning! Cute swimming hole, although the water was brisk, as it's a dammed steam. Did not slow the kids down. We also hike the gorge hiking trail. What a wonderful hike. Mid level rigor but the view of the gorge from the top are truly breath taking!! Overall super clean facility with spacious sites and not terribly busy. No hook up available at this facility but strongly recommended!