The best DRIVE IN camping near
Vickeryville , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Vickeryville Camping Reviews
Quirky good campground

This is a quirky little campground tucked away along a large river. It's not large, but half of the sites are directly on a wide fast moving river.  Occasionally a paddleboat goes buy with tourists.  You can fish there, but it's mostly catfish.  The river is pretty, but has brownish water, and I would swim in it.  Beautiful to drink your morning coffee by the water!  They have a small but well maintained pool and playground for the kids.  Their shower and laundry facilities are bright and clean.  We stayed here as a home base for exploring Grand Rapids, which is only a 30 minute drive from the campground.  Would recommend staying here, particularly for folks who like the quiet.

Mid michigan campground

This is a campground in Yankee Spring Recreational Area in Mid-Michigan. This is a nice rustic campground near the NCT(North Country Trail).

Not usually too busy unless there is a concert.

Some 50 amp site some 30 amp. Make sure to have cash or a check as the office is only staffed part time. You can do a self check in and leave in the drop box. No reservations here all site are fcfs.

Far away AND close to town...all at the same time!

We found this campground on a walk around the town of Ontonagon, but didn't get a chance to camp here as it was already closed for the season.  We caught it after the beauty of the fall color had already gone, but it's probably a stunner!  We'll be back sometime…

For such a township park, it has comprehensive services, with many waterfront options, and all sites have electricity.  The sites are rustic, there is a dump station as well as a water filling station for RVs.  The bathhouse has showers, there is a cute playground, and it has beautiful views of both Lake Superior and the Porcupine Mountains (about 20 miles away).  You can easily walk into town for basic supplies.

Options for hiking, cycling, and water activities of all kinds abound.  This campground is one of many along the shores of Lake Superior's Water Trail.

Private Sites

We stayed during very hot weather at the beginning of July 2020. I wanted to visit Potter Park Zoo so we choose to stay at Sleepy Hollow for a few days. Our site backed up to trees and I can't recall seeing our neighbors to the left or right. Because we didn't get any shade from the nearby trees we had to run the ac which is unusual for us in Michigan. We were in the midst of a heat-wave though and it was much appreciated. The park needs to upgrade the electrical system as this was putting a strain on their electrical equipment. We did go for a short paddle on (C) Ovid Lake, but again, no shade and HOT. I can't recall why we didn't go swimming?? Overall the campground was nice and I would stay again.

Campground in Hastings

This campground is mostly for seasonal campers. It has a pool, campground, canoe livery, electric, water, and propane. Very attentive staff and polite.

5 stars for a City park

This is a beautiful city park but no camping is available as far as I can see. There are grills, picnic tables, trails, basketball courts, playgrounds and trails.

Lansing's only campground

This is the only campground in lansing. The property is nicely shaded. There is a large main building and large outdoor pool.

Large sites; nice amenities; but lots of people!!

I stayed in a friend's camper with my son for several nights in late September. The campground is very nice! The sites were large enough that it could hold a large camper and two vehicles easily.  Some of the sites are a little uneven (the camper needed wood blocks underneath it so that the wheels weren't off the ground after leveling.

There are nice firepits and the firewood is cheap! 8 large pieces for $6, a wheelbarrow full of tinder for another $6. Bring a hatchet or axe because the wood pieces are huge!

There is a large beach with playground equipment, kayak and boat rentals (although those were closed due to COVID.

Modern bathrooms with showers, but honestly I never needed to use them (we had the trailer).

There are a few downsides:

1) Because it's so close to Grand Rapids and some other cities, it typically is full on the weekends. Booking a site can be troublesome. Our friends booked the site from Tuesday through Monday and it was totally full on Friday and Saturday night.

2) The lake is effectively a plate, so don't expect to do much fishing from shore. The water is incredibly shallow. (But that makes for a very nice beach!)

Overall, I wouldn't tent camp here simply because of the crowds on the weekend, but I'm glad I went. If you have a trailer and like the camping community, you would like this. If you're looking to get away from people for a while, keep looking. This isn't for you.