New Bedford, MASSACHUSETTS

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent New Bedford Camping Reviews
Campgrounds that sure are : in "charge"

My home away from home, I have been going to Myles Standish state forest to camp swim and critter catch since I was a little girl. Some of my fondest memories were made here. Love how you can choose from a variety of different ponds to camp next to, the place is huge, and smells of fresh pine trees and blueberries. I always loved seeing the horses out and about as there is not only options for tent sights, but equine and also cabin sites. My favorite ponds to camp off of are Barrett's, Curlew, and Charge pond sites. Forever will be one of my favorite places on this earth!

Excellent oasis on a busy island

This campground is neat and rules are strict but provide for a comfortable stay for those of us who don’t like to party late night. Bathrooms are so clean and conveniently located. Store sells anything you might have forgotten. And the island is just a fun summer tradition - camping makes it so much more affordable at the height of the season. Keep your food sealed tight because the skunks use this campground as much as humans do.

Nice and quiet!

Great place! Open year round and has a very calm and quiet environment. I've lived here full time for a few years.

Clean and comfy

Clean, comfortable campground aimed more towards glamping. Lots of rv sites and very nice cabins. Cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen at a campground.

Not the bargain it used to be!

I read the reviews and was excited to be in a state park near the water for such a reasonable price. Imagine my surprise when we found out that a water/electric site for an out of state camper was $45 per night! This was our first visit to a Rhode Island State Park so not sure if they are all like this but this one definitely caters to Rhode Island residents who camp in large RVs! The sites with the best views are the full hookups (water/electric/sewer) and the rates for out of state campers are significantly more than for residents. I’m used to paying $5 or even $10 more for being from out of state but here the fee is double or more for out-of-state campers. Geez– way to make us feel welcome!

There are four areas, and each has advantages and disadvantages. Area One has the best views and full hookups but there is no bathhouse; Area Two also has full hookups, no view and some of the sites (55-65) are decidedly not level; Area Three is for tents only with no hookups but is close to the bathhouse; Area Four has water and electric hookups, the pads are not paved (as in the others) but most of the sites have more separation than in the other sections. See the photo below to understand the different areas.

No matter where you camp, there are noise issues. Road noise continued throughout the night and there is a wind turbine on the property. I’ve never been this close to one and yes, there is noise, although the road noise bothered me more. Alcohol is prohibited throughout the campground. There are pay showers available. There are the remains of two bunkers but other than walking by them, you cannot go inside. One (in Area One) is a grassy knoll with stairs to a lookout.

On the plus side: The bathrooms were clean, there is excellent cell service, Judith Point lighthouse is nearby, it is close to the ferry to Block Island, and there are numerous recreation options available (playground, tennis courts, volleyball net, and basketball courts). Also, the grouchy staffer I read about in reviews was not there the night we arrived and, in fact, the two staffers were very friendly and even recommended a good restaurant in the nearby town.

Solid place to set up base camp

This was a very nice campground. Our particular site was a little on the small side, without much greenery to separate from the other sites but the weather was horrible so we spent most of our time inside playing games anyway. The restrooms and showers were very clean! The people who run this spot are nothing but friendly and helpful. There was a short but very nice nature trail within the grounds. There are also full hookups for those with RVs. The tent sites looked very nice and more private, but not sure about hookups in those spots.

There are many things to do close by- a lot of bay side beaches, coffee shops and a wonderful bike trail. Nickerson is right down the street as well which opens up a lot of recreation options.

Would totally recommend and would stay here again.

One of my favorites

If you want a good visit do not stay down by the lake!!!

Beautiful campground w/excellent bike trails!

Beautiful campground, plenty of sites, crystal clear ponds for swimming and kyacking! Excellent bike trails! Friendly staff! Can't believe this is cape cod I felt like I was in the woods can't wait to visit again!

Good campground

Stayed here visiting Cape Cod and Boston.

Great Local Campground

Great campsite. I used to come here all the time when I was a kid and was so excited when it opened back up. We were located in the no electric no water area and even though every site was taken, it was surprisingly more private than you'd expect. The comfort stations (indoor bathroom and shower and outdoor sink area) were clean and well maintained and close to all the sites. The sites had both a firepit with a flip grill as well as an upright grill. Both were clean and ready to use when we arrived.  The boys had a blast swimming and kayaking at the pond and there was another comfort station right at the water. Leashed pets are welcome and we brought our pup for his first camping experience and he loved it too.