Standard (Tent/RV)
Hike In
RVs and Trailers
R&D Campground is located in Tennessee
6 Reviews of R&D Campground
Clean, cozy, and welcoming!

Had a great stay at R & D Campground! The owners are incredibly kind and welcoming. The campground was clean, well kept, and had a great layout and variety of tent sites and RV/camper sites. I travel alone and felt very safe here. There is access to the Doe Mountain trails directly from the campground, they are multi-use with ATVs and dirt bikes using them but the riders were respectful and gave my dog and I plenty of room while hiking. The bathrooms were very clean and the best I’ve seen at a campground. The “hang out” area (with WiFi) was one of my favorite spots with comfortable chairs, fans, music, and good company! This campsite was my favorite by far and I will be back with friends!

Great experience

We just wrapped up a two week stay at R&D Campground. What a treat! We prefer smaller campgrounds that are more laid back and this was perfect. The owners, Rita and Dennis, are very personable and engaging. We loved gathering at the pavilion. The bathrooms were the cleanest ever seen in a campground. If you like a chill campground that’s off the beaten path, this is it!

Hidden gem

We stopped at this site on a spur of the moment trip and we absolutely love it. The owners are very friendly and showed us the best lot to pick. Prices are fair and the amenities were nice and clean. We stayed on the lot near the running stream with a waterfall and had a nice time sleeping to the sound of water. We highly recommend this site if you plan on doing any traveling to Boone or the surrounding area and don’t want to deal with swarms of other people.

Little piece of heaven!

Love this little piece of heaven! Kept secret cuz it’s so peaceful and the owners are so amazing and friendly! Great environment and actually staying here right now with my husband and kids! Plan to stay!

Homey site in Cherokee National Forest

The campground is nice and wooded with a very homey feeling. In the nearby area, there is a lot to do in natural beauty. There are a lot of trails here and many ways to enjoy them, including hiking and mountain biking. Lots of lovely canyons, waterfalls, and and trails to explore, some a short walk from the roads and some nice long hikes. Watauga Lake is nearby for boating, swimming, fishing, and wine tours.

Yay: Choose from simple tent sites in the forest or full service RV sites. Clean hot showerhouse.

Nay: There is a lot of 4 wheeler traffic on the trails so be careful.

Surprise: Doe Mountain has a great fire tower that is well worth the hike and the trail to it is close to camp.

Ranger Review: Grand Trunks Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock at R&D Campground, TN

Campground Review: R&D Campground in Mountain City, TN is located in the far north east corner of the state almost directly in between Boone, NC and Demascus, VA. It sits at the base of Doe Mt and has access to all the trails which are well known for four-wheeling, horseback riding, biking, or just hiking. Be sure and ask for a trail map when you check in, it has a color coded and numbered system that shows you distance and which trails are friendly for each activity. The campground has 19 total sites, 1-9 are full hookups with water and electricity, sites 10-19 are primitive tent sites. Not far from either is the bathhouse and a pavilion with a fire pit which is great for lounging and getting to know some of the other campers and guest. A few of the tent sites back up to a cascading creek and I would definitely suggest reserving one of these. I think its 13 or 14, Dennis one of the owners can point you in the right direction. The campground is also only 20 to 30 minutes from Lake Watauga and is surrounded by good trout fishing.

Gear Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I am testing the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock. This hammock comes with a weight capacity of 400, a net suspension kit, a starter rope kit for smaller trees in tight spaces and carabiners. I also bought a pair of Trunk Straps which come in at 10 feet, and that really opens up your hanging options. I was impressed with the materials and everything about the hammock, the only suggestion I have would be to include or add an attachment to the end of the elastic suspension lines for the netting ( a small plastic figure 8 would do). I used this hammock a little early in the season for mosquito but I like keeping the other insects and spiders off of me just as well. https://www.grandtrunk.com/products/skeeter-beeter-pro

Year 2021 Flag