Halls, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Halls Camping Reviews
Confusing Campground, Awesome Rangers!

We ended up camping here after another campground didn't work out. We arrived without reservation and didn't know much about the park, so we needed a little help from the rangers when we were choosing a spot. The campground seems to have been renovated in the last few years. The sites are all mixed together. You have a handful of RV sites with 50 amp, a couple of 30 amp sites and then lots of tent sites that have 20 amp or no power at all. The problem for us was that the leaves have fallen, so we couldn't even see where the parking pads were and all of the different sites were mixed together. I think it would be easier to sort it out via the website that has info listed for each site.

Ranger Tyson informed us that they were doing a night hike to the Fort and they would be serving Gumbo for dinner around the campfire at the Fort. Sign me up! It was one of the fee based activities, but for $5 per person, it was totally worth it! Tyson and Matt were awesome and the evening hike was surprisingly very cool!

As for the park itself, they don't have a huge "tourist attraction" like some parks, so it was very peaceful and not overcrowded. They work hard to offer great ranger lead programs. You can tell right away that the staff really does care about this park.

The bathhouse was newer and clean. Each bathroom was private in that you had your own suite style bathroom with toilet, sink & shower. The only drawback is that the bath house building (2) only had (1) mens suite and (1) womens suite each. I could see a line forming during warmer months, especially if there were lots of tent campers.

The park had a really nice day use area with a new playground, pavilion area and picnic tables. There is also a basketball goal/court area near the day use area. The visitors center/museum was a bunker style building built into the side of the hill. Great exhibit and lots of info on the battle and fort at Fort Pillow. There is also a small fishing lake with a boat ramp and pier.

Maybe next time :(

We decided to make the 2 hour drive to do a one night camp here and explore the area. We checked online and saw that several spots were open, so we went without reservation. When we finally made it to the park, we were greeted with a"closed" office. Apparently the office at the campground closes everyday from 12p-1p for lunch. We decided to drive through the park and look for a spot to settle in on. After making part of the first loop, we immediately saw why there were so many unreserved spots…A good 90% of the campground was underwater! The handful of sites that were still open for use had pools of water standing on the site. Hard pass for us. I wish this would have been listed as a warning on the TNSP website.

We drove to the visitors center to check that area out and consider the 2nd campground that is not on the water. We were greeted with another"closed" sign but no other signage about the hours or when they would reopen. We walked around outside and viewed the beautiful eagles, owls and hawks. We never found the other campground due to poor signage, so we left without actually getting to camp here. Very disappointed with everything being closed. Will have to try again in the spring.

Maybe next time :(

We decided to make the 2 hour drive to do a one night camp here and explore the area. We checked online and saw that several spots were open, so we went without reservation. When we finally made it to the park, we were greeted with a "closed" office. Apparently the office at the campground closes everyday from 12p-1p for lunch. We decided to drive through the park and look for a spot to settle in on. After making part of the first loop, we immediately saw why there were so many unreserved spots…A good 90% of the campground was underwater! The handful of sites that were still open for use had pools of water standing on the site. Hard pass for us. I wish this would have been listed as a warning on the TNSP website.

We drove to the visitors center to check that area out and consider the 2nd campground that is not on the water. We were greeted with another "closed" sign but no other signage about the hours or when they would reopen. We walked around outside and viewed the beautiful eagles, owls and hawks.

Nice place

Nice campground with clean bathhouse. We arrived very late at night and the staff were very nice and helpful. The only bad thing about this place is all of the Geese at the swimming area.

Nice park, mehhh campground

I really like the tent area campground. Very accessible to the water & bridge. The horse trailer campground is nice and also close to the water. However, the RV campground is not close to the water and that was super disappointing. Lots of upgraded sites though and they are working on upgrading the bathrooms in the RV campground. The pads seemed level enough, but the sites were small and hilly. Ground also very soft and muddy, I guess from the recent construction. Very limited cell service in the park.

Air park

We stayed at the air park camp ground it was quite and nice.

needed up grade

It needs to be updated and they need to tell you when you call about all the fee along with the price.

Ranger Review: Grub Stick Deluxe Kit at Chickasaw Rustic State Park

Campground Review:

On Friday, August 23, 2019 my son Charlie and I camped at Chickasaw State Park to celebrate his ninth birthday. We couldn’t have found a better park than this one. It reminds me of the classic summer camps I saw on television as a kid: beautiful lake, horses, stables, paddle boats and canoes, and even a well maintained swimming hole. They even have three birds of prey on display for visitors to enjoy. From our arrival to the moment we left, the rangers and staff made us feel welcomed and safe. Ranger Brittany helped me find the perfect site and even checked in later to make sure that we were completely satisfied with the spot. Who wouldn’t be? The campsite was located right on Lake Placid in the middle of almost 15,000 acres of state forest. Each campsite in the tent campground had a new picnic table, a fire ring, access to potable water, and a grill. Our campsite, number 109, was located right next to a large handicapped parking spot that is big enough for a very large handicapped van. The parking spot was constructed on level ground with concrete. Campsite 109 was far away from the bathroom, but the trail to it was beautiful and made even the most hasty trip pleasant walking. Campsite 109 also had easy access to the pier which spans the width of the lake. My son and I enjoyed walking out into the middle of the lake and seeing the expanse of the Milky Way(what a treat!). There’s great firewood for sale at the stables for$6.00 a box. This is the best campfire wood I’ve ever purchased. It burned slow and steady leaving us enough to pass on to one of our neighbors the next morning. I would suggest spending at least two nights here. We only spent one, and my son and I didn’t want to leave. There’s so much we didn’t get to see and do at this park. This place is a real gem. I’ll guarantee that you will feel like you’re back at summer camp. By the way, don’t forget to bring a good lantern or flashlight with you: you will need it since many of the trails to the bathroom and out to the pier are very dark at night. This just helps you to see the stars better.

………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test some of the latest and coolest camping products on the market. On my camping trip to Chickasaw, my son and I tried out the Grub Stick Deluxe Kit. What a fun way to cook over a campfire! In my kit I received two telescopic poles which have well made attachments such as the Grub Cage, Grub Fork, Burg Cage, and Grub Tube that attach to the end of the telescopic poles.

We used the Burg Cage for supper and it made awesome burgers. They had that perfect campfire flavor. My son enjoyed getting to cook his own food rather than waiting for dad to cook it on the grill. The handles are very comfortable to hold, and they were just the right size for my son’s smaller hands. The whole time he was using it, I kept hearing wows. It’s great when a company makes a camping product that engages children in cooking. The Grub Stick does just that.

The kit also came with special grips like the finger grabber and the hot pad to help open and close the cages and other attachments. You can really tell that the makers of the Grub Stick thought of everything when they were designing this.

One of the things that was really fun was the Grub Cage. It left me wondering,“where have you been all my life?” Instead of building the S’more AFTER roasting the marshmallow on a stick, you build it in the cage and toast the whole thing. I think this is the way the S’more was always meant to be. Everything, including the graham crackers, oozes with sugary, toasty goodness.

For breakfast, we used the Grub Tube and wrapped it with bacon and croissant rolls. It was as good as it sounds. As I was cooking, I kept thinking of other things that could be cooked over the fire using this kit. I’m excited to have it in my cooking kit now, and I see us using this quite often especially on those winter camping trips when we want to stay close to the fire.

Overall, this is a great product for engaging kids in camping. The Grub Stick will allow my kids to come up with their own recipes, put them together on their own, and then try them out on the fire. They love being a part of the cooking part of camping, and the Grub Stick is the perfect tool for this.

I did have an issue with one of the telescopic handles. After cooking three burgers, one of the telescopic handles broke. I contacted customer service, and they went above my expectations to not only replace it but to help me understand their product even more. Most people expect things to be returned with“no questions asked,” but this isn’t how Grub Stick operates. They asked for pictures and a description of the failure so they can make sure their product gets better and better. I wouldn’t hesitate at all to order more from this company. It’s great when people not only believe in their product but also stand by it and are always looking for ways to improve it. They sent a replacement immediately, and I can’t wait to get this back out in the field.

Country campground

This campground was renovated over the last year and there appears to be a few things left to be done but overall a nice, pleasant escape from town. Be prepared to have a drive to town for provisions & restaurants. There bathhouses have a lot left to be desired but the sites are all paved with fire rings, grills & picnic tables. Most sites appear to be fairly level.

A hidden gem

This is a lovely park with wide asphalt and level spaces, water and electricity hookup. We snagged a lakeside spot and listened to the water lapping up against the bank while we slept. Quiet and peaceful. Took our jeep and did some off road exploring. Also, the price to stay at this park is very low for what you get. Highly recommended. We drive a 40 foot Tiffin Allegro Bus and had no issues navigating the park.

Want to get away? This place is for you

If if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and not be around a whole lot of other campers with kids, this is the campground for you. We stayed in the Air Park campsite number 4. There are two circles in this campsite with no frills except Water and Electric. The area is very flat and the bathhouse is within walking distance. The lake is absolutely gorgeous and Grey's bait shop offers boat rentals for $80 a day. There is a picnic table and fire pit at each campsite. Located 4 hours west of Nashville is in the upper corner on the Kentucky line in West Tennessee.

Excellent state park with great history

This description really needs to be updated. They are not just an historic area but an Historic State Park. They have about a dozen RV sites plus another 20 tent sites. Facilities are very nice and include showers. They have really worked hard to improve the entire park in the last 3 years or so and have really turned this into a hidden gem. The historic site of Ft Pillow from the Civil war is on one of the hiking trails. The trails also go along the Mississippi river and provide some beautiful views. They also have a small lake and available canoes/kayaks for rent. The staff is very attentive and provide a variety of programs.

Easy access.

It is a trailer park that also has RV spots, it is clean but campers are close together, no campfire spot. Lots of long term campers.

Well kept and small.

The CG is close to the commissary. Not much else with in walking distance.

Small but quiet.

This is no longer a military CG. It is owned by the city and managed by a great couple.

Shade!!!!!

It’s a nice camp ground … pleasant hosts… nice pool… and there is shade. After chasing a heat wave in a teardrop with no ac (an issue I plan to fix before next season) this was a great relief. Additionally, they have a delivery menu that includes bbq done in house that is pretty good.

Group Camping At Its Finest

When I first arrived at Pinson Mound it was a little before the park itself closed, to late for me to really go explore the site so I instead had to return the second day.

When I did I was able to see that there was a group camp available in the property which was quite a nice area indeed. Only those staying in this area are allowed to stay within the park after sunset and with limited number of groups welcomed at a time this makes for a very intimate one of a kind experience.

Despite traveling alone on this trip I wanted to inquire about the requirements for this site and was quickly told that it is by reservation only so you have to plan in advance to be allowed to stay on property. There are NO after hours arrivals accepted without reservation.

This is more of a day use facility for the most part for the average person. They do have nice picnic shelters, playgrounds and of course the archeological site itself.

For those which do attain permissions for group site camping there are several regulations regarding location of camp and activities of allowance. I can say that after being at the property it would be a little eerie to stay here at night because of the Native American history.

Group sites are very well equipped and are a flat rate of $200 per evening with reservation only. These are cabins which are arranged nicely in a landscaped area close to the big mound. Keys are issued to those staying for their site and early arrival is suggested.

TIPS:

• Call do not simply go online to obtain reservations. This will be much more effective.
  • Visit the BIG mound, it is a lot of steps but has the most amazing view of the entire park and will make you realize just how tall it really is when you get to the top!
My Cautionary Tale - The Park Was Beautiful BUT.....

After picking up a brochure in Memphis I made it a point to come to this campground because it looked so inviting with a quaint lake with swimming beach and tent sites nestled right into the woods along the waters.

I drove about an hour and a half to the site passing though a few small towns along the way, but nothing major in way of traffic. It was a pleasant drive with great views of the lands of Tennessee.

When I arrived at around 4:45 the office was already closed which made for a little confusion with getting my site. There was a sign posted about after hours arrivals and to report to the stables where there was a small store. I went there and no one was there either and it then had an additional sign to go to the swimming beach for the concessions area there. Again, no one was there! I found this a little unsettling that even when I was given a basic instruction there was no follow through on the part of the park staff to be in those areas, but I did chalk it up to it being a weekday and perhaps things were run a bit differently.

I followed signs to the tent camping area to see if there were sites available and indeed found there to be no one at the site so I had the entire side of camp to make my selection. The sites were two levels with the upper level being a pull out for your car and the lower being the area with a tent pad and picnic table.

I selected a water facing site without any additional amenities and began to settle in. The bathroom was just up the hill about 50 feet so I checked it out to get a feel of the amenities and was very pleased to find showers and flush toilets. Though I did think it to be a bit strange that despite being the only one at the camp on this side there were wet footprints and it was humid as though someone had just taken a shower.

I went on to set up my tent and after locking up my car took a brief walk across one of the two walking bridges which span the lake. I had taken my Midland radio I am testing on this trip with me and began to scan the channels as I walked because of some pretty crazy clouds that looked like they were coming in. Sure enough a siren blasted through and warned a tornado just south by a ways.

A little rattled I quickly returned to camp, only to find that the wet footprints which I had discovered had an owner who was more than a little sketchy. A car parked just beside the restroom with a man and a woman seemed to be facing my tent watching it. When I came closer to my car, the man exited and started speaking to me. Something didn’t seem right about this person and knowing that the storm was coming, I quickly started disassembling my camp while he continued speaking and began to ask very odd questions like “was I camping alone”.

I don’t know if this is exactly what people want to hear when they read a campground review, but this is the reality of what happens sometimes. I have never been so thankful for a storm because after hearing the man speak and talk about how he “checks up on campers” because he is a local and seeing him try to look into my car while speaking to me without seeming obvious I would have NEVER stayed at this campground. The storm just gave me a good excuse to leave quickly, and because of that I was thankful.

The campground itself was really nice and if I was with a party of people I would give it another shot, maybe even perhaps when it was a busy weekend with other people. But under no circumstances would I return here alone.

Beautiful place! Very picturesque!

Great place to camp! Lots of shade. Bathhouse is nice.

Quiet family place tucked in the woods.

We go here almost every year in the early spring. It was suggested to us by a friend and we fell in love with it. Its one of our favorite places. A small but spacious campground with a few trails and a lake. Its mostly quiet when we travel there. But I love the scenery. Its also nice that it comes with running water and a restroom hehe.

Pretty cool

Pretty awesome place the visitors center is really cool lots of bald eagles 🦅 snakes 🐍 and fish 🐟 to check out!

Great first trip!

Our first trip there and it was great. There had been heavy rains and some sites were flooded. we had a blast watching the ducks swim right up to our site. Plan on returning soon.

Airpark/North campground

Exceptional canoeing and wildlife! This park is like nothing else, it’s a flooded forest. You can kayak among this and other lovely bayou environments, lakes, etc. I love this park and have enjoyed it in all seasons. You will need a watercraft of some sort or you will be kicking yourself for not being able to enjoy it fully. You can rent canoes and boats nearby but not at the park itself. Nice easy hiking trails too. Close to town for restaurants and necessities.

There are two campgrounds. This review is for Airport/North Campground. This is the smaller of the two, which is great for seclusion but it also has fewer amenities and is further from the park offices. There are no showers but you can drive to the other campground to use those. Each site is much more spacious.

Yay: Amazing kayaking, great wildlife!

Nay: there are only about a dozen sites here, but they are reservable. Not as close to the water as at South Campground. You have to drive to see most of the park.

**Surprise: take one of the many ranger-led tours by land or boat!! We did a bird watching tour that was incredible, we got close to so many different species. **

North/Airpark campground

Yay: Amazing kayaking, great wildlife!

South campground

There are two campgrounds. This review is for South Campground. This campground has more amenities than the other campground, including a playground, showers, etc. The camping spots are fairly close together here.

Yay: Nature center, amazing kayaking, great wildlife!

Nay: Sites a little small/close. You have to drive to see most of the park.

South campground

Yay: Nature center, amazing kayaking, great wildlife!

Nay: Sites a little small/close. You have to drive to see most of the park.

Peacful

We always enjoy camping here. The lots are maintained well. Its always quiet and peaceful. (We have never camped here in april, peek fishing season) Reelfoot lake is beautiful, this was our first time kayaking the lake and it was really nice. The visitor center is always a must, to check out the eagles, owls and snakes!

SQUIRRELS! And water

Reelfoot Lake Campgrounds and recreation area is what I refer to as an inside out park. You have to go by road or boat from area to area. The Lake being the center of the park and the areas are "fanned" around it with privately owned areas in between.

Historic site. Yes, a pillow fort.

We went here pretty much because of the name and because my nephew was in an American history interest phase. Lots to explore here. Most of the family camped in RVs on the main site, which were very nice. I backpacked into the backcountry along the bluff trail (which requires a permit). Easy to moderate hiking terrain, views of the lake. Nice little escape.

unique lake

What a fun day! We did some hiking here, but the real draw was the unique cypress trees in the lake. We did a little boat trip on a pontoon, which was pretty great! The northern campground is smaller and was less busy when we visited. The sites are decently spread-out but have little seclusion due to the lack of tree cover and such things. South campground looked a bit more wooded, but there were many more sites. (some even right on the water!). Such a distinctive place- we said we would do some kayaking if we ventured here again.