Alamo, TENNESSEE
Most Recent Alamo Camping Reviews
Friendly, comfy, easy

Such a great park. We showed up, swam in a beautiful and clean lake, and then cooked dinner and used the incredible bathroom facilities and did a campfire with incredible neighbors. Woke up and used the great shower facilities and hit the road. Will definitely be back again

Very Handicap Accessible

We stayed here with our son who is in a wheelchair. Pin Oak had 2 sites that were very accommodating and close to the bath house with a Great Lake view. Everything was clean and an awesome little weekend. Only complaint would be with their phone system. Tried to call several times about reserving an extra site with no luck. Eventually got through but it took 2 days.

Cub Creek Lake Campground #1

We stayed in Cub Creek Lake Campground #1, spot 12, on June 19, 2019. We sleep in two big tents and had originally reserved a spot in campground #2 which from descriptions was more aimed at tent campers. But after pulling into loop #2, we were able to switch our reservations to Loop #1 since #2 looked nearly abandoned with sloped sites and poor pad space. Our new campsite was great and had lots of room for our two big tents and and plenty of parking for our van. Nearby campers (mostly RVs) were spaced far enough away and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Because of the season, it was hot and humid at night and we had a huge series of thunderstorms come through. The site drained well as well as the entire campground and next morning walking around the well-maintained trails and foot bridges over the lake was pleasant and dry. It looks like a big facility with a lodge and some cabins available on the other side of the lake. Would definitely recommend this site and this loop. Only reason I take a star off is because of the poor state of loop 2 and the lack of a dish washing station, but overall this is a great camp area!

Clean but poor Management

Upon arrival for a month long water and electric stay I signed a receipt for one site and was directed to set up in a different site (for which our parking tags were filled out for). When we arrived at the alternate site it was poorly marked and it didn’t have water hookup so I went back to the office to clarify if we were in the right place and the owner told me it was the site to the left of the marker with both hookups. Lo and behold her husband came around the next day and said we were in the wrong spot and we’d have to move. On day 3 she came by and said we were fine and would be ok to stay there for the month. 2 days later she came back and said we could only stay there two weeks and then would have to move to the site next to ours for the rest of the month. Another family occupied that site later in the week for a weeklong stay and left after two days because the stench of the sewage leaking from the seasonal camper in the lot adjacent to it was horrific. We ended up leaving after our two weeks because we were tired of the back and forth and the cost for 2 weeks vs a month was virtually the same. Upon talking to other families, we weren’t the only ones who were told they would have to move during their stay.

The campground itself was clean and upkept. The beach was nice. Very shallow swimming which was perfect for young kids. Laundry (one washer and dryer) on site and the bathhouse was kept clean and maintained.

Great stay!

I loved the pull through sites, widely spaced apart, and while we didn’t do any fishing it looks like a fantastic place. The lake was pretty muddy and warm, so not great for swimming, but the people were very friendly and the bathrooms were clean and large. The site is actually really far back into the park, and there is no cel service. We would absolutely stay here again.

Great Campground with full hookups

Pin Oak Lake Campground is very nice. Well maintained with full hookups and plenty of space separating the sites. The lake itself is very clear water. Easy to access the park from I-40 but it is a bit of a drive from the exit. All good roads and location makes the campground quiet. Plenty of activities in the park and close to some Civil war battlefields. Our 38’ RV was easy to park on the generous pad. Take plenty of food as a trip to the store is a bit of a drive.

Beautiful Setting

Beautiful southern Tennessee setting. Bathrooms didn’t appear to have been cleaned while we were there. Checking the facilities every few hours would be a priority on a holiday weekend but evidently it wasn’t.

Easy camping

Clean. Fire ring, grill, water (elect at some) at campsite. Community bath house and nearby lake beach.

Country campground

This campground was renovated over the last year and there appears to be a few things left to be done but overall a nice, pleasant escape from town. Be prepared to have a drive to town for provisions & restaurants. There bathhouses have a lot left to be desired but the sites are all paved with fire rings, grills & picnic tables. Most sites appear to be fairly level.

Wasted drive

We stayed at the Wrangler campground and it was terrible. They guy next to us basically brought his entire living room including his big screen tv blaring a baseball game. Definitely not camping. The park was ok but not for us.

A hidden gem

This is a lovely park with wide asphalt and level spaces, water and electricity hookup. We snagged a lakeside spot and listened to the water lapping up against the bank while we slept. Quiet and peaceful. Took our jeep and did some off road exploring. Also, the price to stay at this park is very low for what you get. Highly recommended. We drive a 40 foot Tiffin Allegro Bus and had no issues navigating the park.

Our favorite TN campground

GPin Oak Campground (there’s actually 4 campgrounds in the park). Large sites that aren’t crowded in together. Full hook ups, lake access. Cabins also available.

Want to get away? This place is for you

If if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and not be around a whole lot of other campers with kids, this is the campground for you. We stayed in the Air Park campsite number 4. There are two circles in this campsite with no frills except Water and Electric. The area is very flat and the bathhouse is within walking distance. The lake is absolutely gorgeous and Grey's bait shop offers boat rentals for $80 a day. There is a picnic table and fire pit at each campsite. Located 4 hours west of Nashville is in the upper corner on the Kentucky line in West Tennessee.

Excellent state park with great history

This description really needs to be updated. They are not just an historic area but an Historic State Park. They have about a dozen RV sites plus another 20 tent sites. Facilities are very nice and include showers. They have really worked hard to improve the entire park in the last 3 years or so and have really turned this into a hidden gem. The historic site of Ft Pillow from the Civil war is on one of the hiking trails. The trails also go along the Mississippi river and provide some beautiful views. They also have a small lake and available canoes/kayaks for rent. The staff is very attentive and provide a variety of programs.

Big, clean. Plenty of room.

There is not a bad site at Pin Oak Campground in NTSP. Situated on a lake with a dock available. Good fishing, swimming.

Mall sites are large and level and not crowded at all. Our favorite getaway close to home.

Camping Area 1 - Cub Lake Campground

I wasn’t sure if we were even in the right place at first because this campground is down a narrow gravel road! However, we arrived at the correct place. The campground is for small campers, pop ups or tent campers. I really liked that because everyone was outside instead of hiding inside their giant RV’s! The spots at the end of the cove around the lake were awesome! The camp host was great (they sell bundles of wood!) and the bathrooms/showers were nice and clean. The bridges over the lake make for great access to other areas to explore without having to leave the campground. Several different hiking trails are available as well. We drove over to the Pin Oak Lodge for Breakfast one morning and it was fantastic! My site recommendations: 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23 (23 is connected to the playground)

Our very first camping adventure! It didn’t disappoint!

We stayed at the Cub Lake campground, which I prefer as the sites are treed and shaded, unlike most sites at Pin Oak. We preferred the sites towards the middle of the campground. Keep in miind that the sites closer to the lake are indeed beautiful but they are also close to the summer swimming area and playground. If you don’t mind the high pitched noises of squealing kids at play in the water, then those sites are for you. Nice clean bath house next to camp host who sells firewood. IMO Pin Oak is the prettier lake and we kayaked and fished there. Kayak rentals at the club house located at Pin Oak Lake by cabins. Nice bike trails and hiking.

Group Camping At Its Finest

When I first arrived at Pinson Mound it was a little before the park itself closed, to late for me to really go explore the site so I instead had to return the second day.

When I did I was able to see that there was a group camp available in the property which was quite a nice area indeed. Only those staying in this area are allowed to stay within the park after sunset and with limited number of groups welcomed at a time this makes for a very intimate one of a kind experience.

Despite traveling alone on this trip I wanted to inquire about the requirements for this site and was quickly told that it is by reservation only so you have to plan in advance to be allowed to stay on property. There are NO after hours arrivals accepted without reservation.

This is more of a day use facility for the most part for the average person. They do have nice picnic shelters, playgrounds and of course the archeological site itself.

For those which do attain permissions for group site camping there are several regulations regarding location of camp and activities of allowance. I can say that after being at the property it would be a little eerie to stay here at night because of the Native American history.

Group sites are very well equipped and are a flat rate of $200 per evening with reservation only. These are cabins which are arranged nicely in a landscaped area close to the big mound. Keys are issued to those staying for their site and early arrival is suggested.

TIPS:

• Call do not simply go online to obtain reservations. This will be much more effective.
  • Visit the BIG mound, it is a lot of steps but has the most amazing view of the entire park and will make you realize just how tall it really is when you get to the top!
Cozy and peaceful

The RV park was nice. Not alot of noise since it's back away from any major roads. The lake is very pretty and there is a swimming area for kids. I had a great time here.

My Cautionary Tale - The Park Was Beautiful BUT.....

After picking up a brochure in Memphis I made it a point to come to this campground because it looked so inviting with a quaint lake with swimming beach and tent sites nestled right into the woods along the waters.

I drove about an hour and a half to the site passing though a few small towns along the way, but nothing major in way of traffic. It was a pleasant drive with great views of the lands of Tennessee.

When I arrived at around 4:45 the office was already closed which made for a little confusion with getting my site. There was a sign posted about after hours arrivals and to report to the stables where there was a small store. I went there and no one was there either and it then had an additional sign to go to the swimming beach for the concessions area there. Again, no one was there! I found this a little unsettling that even when I was given a basic instruction there was no follow through on the part of the park staff to be in those areas, but I did chalk it up to it being a weekday and perhaps things were run a bit differently.

I followed signs to the tent camping area to see if there were sites available and indeed found there to be no one at the site so I had the entire side of camp to make my selection. The sites were two levels with the upper level being a pull out for your car and the lower being the area with a tent pad and picnic table.

I selected a water facing site without any additional amenities and began to settle in. The bathroom was just up the hill about 50 feet so I checked it out to get a feel of the amenities and was very pleased to find showers and flush toilets. Though I did think it to be a bit strange that despite being the only one at the camp on this side there were wet footprints and it was humid as though someone had just taken a shower.

I went on to set up my tent and after locking up my car took a brief walk across one of the two walking bridges which span the lake. I had taken my Midland radio I am testing on this trip with me and began to scan the channels as I walked because of some pretty crazy clouds that looked like they were coming in. Sure enough a siren blasted through and warned a tornado just south by a ways.

A little rattled I quickly returned to camp, only to find that the wet footprints which I had discovered had an owner who was more than a little sketchy. A car parked just beside the restroom with a man and a woman seemed to be facing my tent watching it. When I came closer to my car, the man exited and started speaking to me. Something didn’t seem right about this person and knowing that the storm was coming, I quickly started disassembling my camp while he continued speaking and began to ask very odd questions like “was I camping alone”.

I don’t know if this is exactly what people want to hear when they read a campground review, but this is the reality of what happens sometimes. I have never been so thankful for a storm because after hearing the man speak and talk about how he “checks up on campers” because he is a local and seeing him try to look into my car while speaking to me without seeming obvious I would have NEVER stayed at this campground. The storm just gave me a good excuse to leave quickly, and because of that I was thankful.

The campground itself was really nice and if I was with a party of people I would give it another shot, maybe even perhaps when it was a busy weekend with other people. But under no circumstances would I return here alone.

Pin Oak RV Campground

the campground has full hookups which is great for those that are in campers and RVs. there are some small shade trees in the area but not enough to use to get out of the heat of the day. there is a large lake on the campground that has a beach and swimming area. with your stay at the campground you do not have to pay for a permit to go fishing or kayaking on the lake or put in a boat. the staff is amazing and can help with almost any problem and continue to patrol later into the day to keep an eye on the kids running around. top notch, would recommend.

Beautiful place! Very picturesque!

Great place to camp! Lots of shade. Bathhouse is nice.

Big RV campground

We had a peaceful weekend in our little pop-up amongst all the big 5th wheels and buses. Great full service water, electric & sewer service (loved not having to dump the gray water tank!) could have been a little more shade and there is virtually no Verizon service except close the water front.

Quiet family place tucked in the woods.

We go here almost every year in the early spring. It was suggested to us by a friend and we fell in love with it. Its one of our favorite places. A small but spacious campground with a few trails and a lake. Its mostly quiet when we travel there. But I love the scenery. Its also nice that it comes with running water and a restroom hehe.

Pretty cool

Pretty awesome place the visitors center is really cool lots of bald eagles 🦅 snakes 🐍 and fish 🐟 to check out!

Spacious, but unkept

We truly enjoyed our surroundings, but our primitive loop bathrooms were filled with caterpillars. I bet the RV sites have better kept bathrooms! We loved swimming and kayaking at Cub Creek Lake.

First Trip

We had a wonderful time. Campground host was very nice and helpful. We will definitely go back.

Great first trip!

Our first trip there and it was great. There had been heavy rains and some sites were flooded. we had a blast watching the ducks swim right up to our site. Plan on returning soon.

Airpark/North campground

Exceptional canoeing and wildlife! This park is like nothing else, it’s a flooded forest. You can kayak among this and other lovely bayou environments, lakes, etc. I love this park and have enjoyed it in all seasons. You will need a watercraft of some sort or you will be kicking yourself for not being able to enjoy it fully. You can rent canoes and boats nearby but not at the park itself. Nice easy hiking trails too. Close to town for restaurants and necessities.

There are two campgrounds. This review is for Airport/North Campground. This is the smaller of the two, which is great for seclusion but it also has fewer amenities and is further from the park offices. There are no showers but you can drive to the other campground to use those. Each site is much more spacious.

Yay: Amazing kayaking, great wildlife!

Nay: there are only about a dozen sites here, but they are reservable. Not as close to the water as at South Campground. You have to drive to see most of the park.

**Surprise: take one of the many ranger-led tours by land or boat!! We did a bird watching tour that was incredible, we got close to so many different species. **

North/Airpark campground

Yay: Amazing kayaking, great wildlife!