Yemassee, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Yemassee Camping Reviews
Awesome beach camping

Edisto is such a great destination. The RV sites are right on the beach– it’s amazing. From some of the sites, you can see the ocean from inside your rig. There is a short walk to get out to the beach, but that’s not bad at all. During the winter the beach is still amazing and it is a lot cheaper than staying there in the summer! The bathrooms are ok. The water there is safe to drink, but has a bit of an odor. So, if it’s possible, come with a full tank of fresh water! The sites are water/electric only too so plan accordingly.

Beautiful campground right on the Atlantic!

Hunting Island is a gorgeous campground and state park right on the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, this means they are constantly rebuilding after hurricanes so consequently, it is expensive to camp here! The upside is brand spanking new bathrooms with hot water. The only thing missing (in the bathroom) was a trash can so unfortunately, trash was on the floor.

Sites are generous in size and some have trees separating them from ones on the other side of the loop. Note alcohol is prohibited.

The beach, which is directly accessible from the campground,  has a long stretch of hard-packed sand and is very walkable. The lighthouse is within easy walking distance from the campground and the beach takes you through upended trees from hurricanes dating back to Hugo in 1989. The sunrises are incredibly gorgeous and well worth getting up when it is still dark out to take photos. There is a well-stocked camp store with friendly personnel.

Amazing camping experience

My daughter and I stayed in the glamping tent at Stonewood Farm just before Thanksgiving.

What a great place to unwind before the craziness of the holidays. Stonewood Farm is tucked away and offers the perfect blend of nature and farm life.

All the animals on this off-the-grid Hobby Farm are rescues and really friendly.  My 12 year old daughter was in Heaven! She had fun with the horses, goats, dogs and especially the one cat who visited our tent and crashed our Monopoly game.

The tent itself is spacious and has a tv/dvd, a heater and the most comfy bed ever.  We happened to be there during a new moon and could see a million stars and the Milky Way right over our tent. We could hear owls in the distance calling to each other.

Kimberly and Ed were amazing hosts. The campsite is away form their cabin allowing for privacy, but if we ever needed anything, they were right there to help.

My only concern is this was my daughter’s first time camping in a tent and the bar is now raised high. Haha. This is such a unique experience, we will definitely be back!

Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Solitude in SC

First beach camp. First South Carolina camp. Site 13 was literally 24 steps from tent to the breaking waves of the Atlantic which are a great soundtrack along with the gusting breezes for reading and cooking s’mores. Thursday night the park was very quiet with Friday and Saturday filling up with friendly families with kids, a surfer, and RVers..a great mix.

Staff was helpful, efficient, and accommodating.

Simple, relaxing, memorably situated park.

Serene setting but close sites

We stayed at the Oaks at Point South for 2 weeks.  The sites were a bit close, also, when it rained the byproduct was mud.  However, the sites all had live oaks with spanish moss, there was a large pond(s) with great walking trails and lots of beautiful birds.

The staff was very accomodating.  They accepted packages shipped to you.  Most of the sites were pull thru.  Propane (at a really good price) was available at the KOA just 1 mile away.  T-Mobile cell coverage was great.

Nothing (groceries, etc.) was nearby.  The closest non-convenience store grocery was 12 miles away and the nearest Walmart was 23 miles away.

When running out slides you may need to juggle your rig a bit to clear the trees, as I said earlier, sites are close with big trees.

We would stay here again.

I enjoyed every min

Great place to relax, very clean and a lot to do in around the site.

Weird weekend

February 2017. Spent 2 nights with a decent sized group of friends. There was a renaissance fair going on, bunch of people LARPing like it was medieval times. Knights and swords and peasants and stuff. 10/10 would watch again. Creek is fun to float in the summer.

Wildness at heart

Hunting Island State Park is my favorite of the coastal state parks.  The wildness at the heart of this gem is undeniable.  Hurricanes have not been kind to it over the past few years but it has stood the test of time and shows us all how to adapt and roll with the storms that come through life.  If you want to visit a state park that allows you to get in touch with your wild side you must check this place out.

Peaceful

Having visited all of the State Parks on the coast Edisto Beach State Park ranks right up there at the top.  We have had the opportunity to stay at the ocean front portion and the Live Oak portion (twice).  Frankly, the Live Oak is probably our favorite.  While the ocean front was nice and we happen to be just across the dune from the ocean it feels more crowded.  The Live Oak offers more privacy and we love the woods and shade.  We pack our stuff in the car for the day and make our way to the beach for the day then head back to our private campsite at Live Oak for a nice quiet relaxing evening.  Either way you can't go wrong with Edisto Beach State Park.

Words cannot describe!!!

Worst campground I have ever stayed at in 30 plus years.. Small/narrow sites with half a picnic table.. was supposed to have 50 amp only thirty. No internet though advertised.. Tree branches and debris everywhere.. And expensive..

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Spacious sites and friendly staff

Our site was very close to the marsh and short trip to the town and beach. The town of Edisto beach is very quaint with many restaurants and shops. We were there in March so it wasn't too crowded or too hot. Very pleasant place to spend time. Thanks to the friendly staff.

Pristine barrier island with organized campsites

Organized campsites on pristine barrier island near Beaufort SC. Accessible via bridge. Tent camping and RV sites. Several rustic trails . Literally can camp next to the beach. There is a historic lighthouse and grounds  there a available for tours. Across the channel from Fripp Island.

Stayed just before hurricane

We stayed at Lake Aire the week before labor day.  Staff was great and so was the park.   Had a great time while visiting Charleston area.     We had. 50 amp site for our coach and it was clean.  Bathroom nearby was very clean.   Playgrounds which we did not use look nice and safe

We will return when we are in the area again

Fred

Good overnight stop

We stayed here overnight on our way to the beach. The Edisto River runs by the campground and people were fishing. Campground was small but had what we needed to spend the night with a small camp store on site. The only thing bad was it was in August and the evening temps were around 90. Don’t recommend camping in this part of the world in the hottest part of the summer. We motel‘ it on the way back.

Nice place near the beach

I am a tent camper, and they have separate tent camping sites. I enjoyed the amenities, especially the pool and the River Room, where I could enjoy AC and work on my computer until 10pm (I was here during the hot/humid season). Also close enough to the beach you can walk, or there is a pay parking lot.

Secluded

I’ve camped here a good bit as it’s one of the only local places that isn’t lot camping. The “bone yard” as it’s called by locals is an area of fallen, uprooted trees on the eastern side of the island that is absolutely gorgeous (and fun to climb through). Bonus is that there’s never a shortage of firewood! Also the sunrise is absolutely spectacular at this site. I think it’s also important to check the wind speed/direction before camping here. I came out on a turbid night once and flipped my kayak! Which as a kayak instructor I’ve never done before - unintentionally. My sleeping bag was soaked! But overall it’s one of my favorite coastal sites. Secluded - but paddling distance (~1 mile) to AJ’s Dockside Restaurant.

Great camping for fishing lovers

I wish they would stock a little more fish. Great areas of campgrounds. Great water park for kids and everyone. Full hook ups. Small supply store on site.

Camping at the beach

Hello happy campers. Stayed at site 172. Nice level spot with your neighbor right behind you and across the street. Our three year old said we were living in the jungle since we are surrounded by a multitude of trees and plant life. We love the shade. We saw deer, birds, squirrels and several raccoons. I suggest you keep all food put away since I watched one carry off someone’s food from their campsite. The store is stocked with everything you could possibly need or that you forgot to bring. Staff is friendly and helpful. Beach is clean and best of all not crowded. If you like history and nature, don’t forget to see the lighthouse and the nature center. One of the highlights of our stay was getting to participate in a loggerhead sea turtle nest being opened and watching four baby turtles being released to the seas.

Quiet and peaceful

Very nice campground. Clean. Great price. Very close to Charleston.

Collenton

Fairly open & not too much privacy. Very nice river acces makes up for it, spent nearly all of time at the river or exploring. Trail leading off the campgrounds through the woods is very fun, saw a corn snake and found a geocache.

Hunting Island

Stayed at site 126, great site, fairly shaded. Wonderful experience, plenty of wildlife (deer as common as people, raccoons too, even a baby bobcat at neighboring campsite). Only complaints are: no parking at bathhouses have to walk & had bad experience with single person. Free access to the state park and great beach. Great weekend getaway. Mosquitoes were pretty bad away from campsite but keeping two citronella candles lit kept them away 90% of the time, not as bad as people make it out to be here. $2 to climb the lighthouse is definitely worth it. Even with 90+ degree weather the breeze kept it bearable. Very quiet campground.

Nice

Small but nice park on the river

Pretty

Stayed here a lot beautiful setting on the edisto river

Would come back again and again.

NOTE: We stayed at the Live Oak campground so my evaluation is only for that location, not the beach campground. The sites were surrounded by vegetation and with quite a few of the sites you essentially share a site location with another site. The sites vary greatly in size and a I recommend bringing a long freshwater hose with you if you are RVing. I also recommend having your freshwater tank full before arriving for drinking purposes as the water here has a salty taste to it (the rangers inform you of that upon checkin and apparently it’s a thing across the island). The park itself was quiet and you have relative privacy (except for noted above). The bugs weren’t too bad but be aware of ticks. While staying at the Live Oak campground you are also able to access the state park’s daytime beach access for free. The beaches here are nice and sandy and the beach access form the park was less crowded in the morning than the public access areas.

NOTE: we did drive through the beach campground while at the other location and noticed a lack of shaded sites compared to the Live Oak Campground.

Very solid campground

Very well put together campground. Located on a wildlife park, I saw a few alligators in the lake. Fairly peaceful, besides the fact we were right next to the pool so it got loud at times. Very nice and clean amenities. About a 20 minute straight shot to Hilton Head Island.

When you must go to the beach! Isn’t that always?

Planned a trip with friends to Tybee Island Georgia, just outside Savannah.  It rained the first couple of days we were there, but still were Able to get out and enjoy the sites sounds and food.  Although sites are close together, the park offers , RV sites with full hook up, cabins, pool, beach access and laundry facilities.  Golf cart approved for whole island. The RV park is close to everything!

Just follow the signs to the path that takes you right to the beach. Spend a day basking in the sun, then come back to your RV to settle in for the evening.  There are really good seafood restaurants nearby, an ice cream shop you could walk to  and a cool little diner on the far end of the island that serves marvelous breakfast.  Shopping at stores showcasing local crafters near by.

If it’s beach and sun you want, look no further.  Nice, helpful staff make your stay very pleasant.

Nice but tight parking

This resort looks absolutely beautiful. When we made our reservation they told us they did not reserve specific sites that we could pick our spot when we arrive. After looking at the map we noticed that all the slots were oriented to facilitate your departure. We arrived after the office was closed and picked up the list of available site. As we started driving into the resort the roads were wide enough for only one camper at a time. We started to go and look at the available sites and noticed not all sites are the same size. This started to concern me that we may not be able to to find a site for our 42ft camper. After navigating the resort we were able to find a site that we liked. These sites do take some practice getting into and some have trees close to the pads. While we were there we saw a guys hit a tree backing into his site. This trip was our third outing in our camper and after 15 minutes we were able to finagle our camper onto the pad. Overall the resort is really nice. The staff was friendly and very helpful and even offer onsite RV repair. The resort is nestled up against the harbor and is very peaceful. While standing on the dock we were able to watch dolphins swim and even saw some sting rays. The staff says that they often have manatees that come into the harbor for a visit. The resort is a 10-15 minute drive to Coligny Beach. If your in the mood for some dole whip, the Disney Resort is just a few minutes away. Recommend staying at the resort during your stay at Hilton Head Island.

Small quiet campground

Not much to do here. Close to the interstate and right on the Edisto River. There are about 25 sites and some are very small and very unlevel. One bath house at the entrance to the campground