The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
New Ellenton , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent New Ellenton Camping Reviews
Sites have great size

This is a beautiful place, with great sites, that have a good space between each other, this way you can have some privacy!

Fantastic Campground

Spent this past weekend at Ridge Road Campground. This is an amazing campground. The staff is wonderful. The entire campground is spotless, clean, and exceptionally well maintained. We were in site #67. All the sites are large and well spaced. Tons of trees and most sites are on right on the lake. The water is amazingly clear. If you look at my previous reviews, we’ve camped at many campgrounds around the Southeast this year and we have found that George State Parks and COE campgrounds are at the top of our list. Ridge Road is now in our top 5 overall. I highly recommend this campground if you like quiet, relaxation, kayaking, fishing, or boating in general.

Ft. Gordon Camping

Decent campground on a small lake (no boating allowed). Keep in mind this campground is on the US Army's Ft. Gordon installation. As a result, the only authorized users of this campground are: "Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 0-100% DAV, Purple Heart Recipients, Former POW, Veteran Caregivers, DoD Civilians." Open year round.

Quiet Lakeside Campground

Winfield is a compartively little-known USACE campground situated on a peninsula near the more heavily-traffic Mistletoe State Park. Quiet and peaceful, it's tucked up the Little River and therefore not on the main body of Clarks Hill Lake (Lake Strom Thurmond, if you're form South Carolina) which sees a good deal of boat traffic (pontoon boats in particular) in the summer months. Great for water activities (kayaking, SUP, etc) with awesome evening views.

Gorgeous location, lacking in upkeep

I’ve camped at Petersburg multiple times of the past 5 years and generally love it. Bartram Trail, terrific mountain for biking and hiking passes through the property. Some of the sites are stellar.

What I noticed on my most recent trip is that the quality of maintenance has declined. The restrooms on our loop weren’t really cleaned deeply over our 4 night stay with used band aids in the corner or the shower stall. I alerted two staff members about the leaking spigot in our site and that was never addressed.

I’m returning in early November with a few friends for some mountain biking and hope things improve.

Great Camp Ground

Family always enjoys this campground! Beautiful spot, historic and the staff is wonderful.

excellent

We were looking for a stopover for one night.  Called enroute and the friendly owner said to come on in.  It is a small family owned campground.  Put money in box as honor system.  All sites face the lake.  Cute as it can be.

$35

It’s ok

Just left Aiken State Park in SC. We will not be returning because it didn’t meet our requirements, but it is not a bad park if it’s what you’re looking for, so here’s the pros and cons:

Pros - super affordable, nice location, very peaceful/quiet, nature trails, kayak rentals available, clean, nice staff

Cons - sand/uneven pads, very tight to drive through and get parked, the dump station is inconvenient to get out of when leaving the campground, absolutely no cell service at campsite (we have Verizon, att, and tmobile)

One other big negative for us, which I hope no one else has to encounter is there was a seemingly, stray dog running around. Super sweet and timid around people, but we have our dog with us (boxer) and the stray attacked our dog. Just warning if you’re there or going soon.

Something for everyone!

Dreher Island was a great camping location! We stayed at tent sites 1&2 which was kind of like having our own private compound. If coming back again I would book tent sites 1-3 to claim the whole area! Other parts of the campgrounds seemed to be on top of each other and more sloped to access water. Access to the lake was a breeze from the site; easy to walk in the water and to get the kayaks in and out. Fishing was convenient from the shore. Bike riding was also great here although time did not allow for much of that this trip.

If interested in renting kayaks or paddle boards, I highly recommend Paddle South Outfitters. Travis was awesome and delivered kayaks right to the site and picked up too! Super nice guy!

Bathrooms were very clean and not a far walk from the campsite. Would stay beyond 2 nights next trip to explore more.

Still Unknown

Had high hopes for this place.  Unfortunately, the gate was locked and posted that it was closed for the season.   I was able to drive around and check out the boat ramp and picnic areas.  They were nice.