Kelly , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Kelly Camping Reviews
Great place, mosquitos are brutal

We camped here Wed through Sat for my son's fall break. We arrived on Wed afternoon around 4pm. I was wearing leggings and the mosquitos literally landed on my leggings and bit me through them. I didn't even know that could happen. I should have left the campsite then and gone to Walmart, 17 min away, and bought enough bug spray and candles for the weekend but we set up the campsite instead. We just got back so camped the first week in October, site 17. For the four days, I had two citronella candles, one on the picnic table and one near our camping chairs, a thermocell fogger in the tent (ran for about an hour before we went in to go to sleep)  and then two bottles of 40% deet spray…one for our car when we came back to the campsite and one on the picnic table. We brought our kayaks and launched from both the Carolina Beach State Park marina and also Trails End public access (intercoastal waterway). Both were great with plenty of parking while we were there. There are VERY large yachts in the trails end area which are cool to see, just be careful when paddling that area. We fished at both places and also at Carolina beach from the surf. I caught a HUGE drum there. Lots of dogs off of leashes (rules change Oct 1st) so that was cool to see. We mostly cooked at the campsite but ate dinner at Sea Witch Cafe one night. The place is dog friendly, which we needed, and the food was reasonably priced and so good. The park rangers lock the gates at 9pm and they don't open until 7am so you have to plan accordingly. This wasn't an issue for us, we just watched the clock and made sure we were back. Beach is about 6 min away, Walmart is about 17 min or so, several grocery stores nearby (Food Lion, Publix). Overall, it was a great trip, I just wasn't prepared initially for the mosquitos. I got 90 bites that first day. I even had to constantly spray down my dog to keep the mosquitos off of her. It was a bit much. Definitely put all of your food in your car or at a minimum in your tent. Raccoons come nightly. :) We lost a quesadilla, some dog food, etc.

Great experience for first time!

Very new to tow behind trailer camping. Camp site was awesome! This is the place for tranquility! Very quiet, would have thought we were the only ones there. Site has a little over two dozen spots. Well kept and maintained, really clean bathroom. Gravel slab for parking, concrete slab for picnic area, fire place, and close to Walmart for supplies. They also fill propane and sell fire wood! Would stay there again.

Great Family Fum

We went for the first weekend of October to enjoy the Halloween activities and we could not have been more pleased. Our kids, ages 1, 3 & 14, enjoyed every minute of the weekend. We booked a quad site with two other families and the location was perfect for all the children to run around and be kids without worrying about disturbing others. Cannot wait to come back.

I made reservations for this campground by calling the week before. When asked what I’d be camping in, I clearly explained to the person taking the reservation that I had a 1989 VW Vanagon. No problem. Camp site booked!

When I actually got to the campground the following Monday, I went in to check in. I was happy because the campground looked so nice, and clean. It was back in the woods, very quiet and peaceful.

Upon check in, I was first told that I “had a boat, and didn’t disclose when I made the reservation”. I explained I did not have a boat, and the one pulling up outside the door was not mine. That taken care of, I was then asked where my van was. I explained it was parked right beside the check in cabin in the driveway. I then found out that the campground “doesn’t take that kind of camper-no tents, pop-ups” or other vehicles of the sort. I immediately started to panic a bit, considering it was getting late, and I wasn’t sure where I was going to go with my husband and two dogs. I explained that I did tell the person (when making the reservation) exactly what type of van I had, I was tersely told “she probably didn’t understand”. Fortunately, I was allowed in for the night, but the anxiety flash made the stay a bit less then perfect.

So, while the initial encounter was stressful, I am able to say that the campground is very nice. The dogs got a long walk around the area. The other campers were friendly. We had a fire in the evening, and it was very quiet. The campground host (not the same person as the check in person) gave our dogs some treats, and complimented our  van. The bathrooms (shower included) were very nice as clean, but I could see how the campground might not be able to accommodate large groups of pop-up/tent campers due to a limited number of available bathrooms.

I recommend this campground to anyone with a class A, B, C, trailer or fifth wheel RV that is self contained-meaning you have a bathroom. Otherwise, I’d find somewhere else to stay.

A cut above.

Clean, well kept, and nice. Nice concrete level pads. Modern clean restrooms and pleasant staff. Campground wifi is so-so. If your a remote worker on the road plan on your data setup to cover you through the day. T-Mobile and ATT connectivity 4 bars. Grouper bites at the tiki bar are very good. Pool and giant slide are a good way to spend a day!

Very clean and fun

Great sites, fishing pier, playground great for kids, close to shopping and other stuff

Fantastic area and vibe

We visited this area last summer, but didn't camp there. However we did spend a lot of time in area. This campground is directly across the street from the beach. The beach is beautiful and the landscaping has rock formations scattered through it. It's a somewhat remote feel to this area even though it's not far from Carolina Beach. There is also a aquarium, and museum down the road if you need a history or education fix. Down South of it is bald island a access to a ferry that will take you to Southport. Next time we come back to this area we will definitely camp here.

Quiet, cozy and relaxing

My wife and I were looking for a place to escape for a couple of days. We found this campground and decided to go. This place is wonderful. The sites are far enough apart you don’t get interrupted by the neighboring campsites but the campground isn’t so big you have to drive everywhere. We had a shaded site, which most of the sites there are shaded, it had full hook ups and a fire ring. The staff was helpful and very easy to approach about any issues that would come up. There is a playground for kids and I could see our kids riding their bikes around with no issues at all. It is very short ride to the beach and there is a grocery store, ice cream shop, and a few restaurants nearby. I cannot wait to go back. We stayed at site 4.

Amazing staff & campground!

Being a travel nurse, I go through many campgrounds however this has by far been my favorite. The little things like the laundry being 24/7 to the staff who truly made the campground amazing are things that I’ll remember and am very thankful for! The staff were spectacular and very helpful/friendly!

Good park