About Cape Hatteras KOA
Adults 18+, Kids 6-17, Free 0-5
KoA
Cape Hatteras KOA is located in North Carolina
7 Reviews of Cape Hatteras KOA
We even honeymooned here with our daughter

It’s comfortable, has nice amenities and not terribly far from the shore. Our 5 year old daughter loved staying here. The camp staff was helpful in giving us some alone time. We’ve gone back 4 more times. I can’t give it the 5th star because it lacks character and privacy. I’m not sure what they could do to improve it either. It’s a campground on dry, flat, packed sand - but they have made the most of it.

Great spot, enjoyed the pool, hot tub, beach, and sound side. The mosquitos are really bad because of the recent hurricane. I wish that they had a few more organized activities for my family, maybe a movie night. It's one of our favorites though, and we come back every year.

Campground for the whole family!

They don't call this the Cape Hatteras KOA Resort for nothing!!  This family friendly campground has SOMETHING for every interest!

We have several family members/friends who would never camp tent - which makes this is the campground for this purpose!  We are not normally KOA campers, but to be able to stay in the same space as family - and for them to have beds and Aside from tent/RV sites, there are "deluxe cabins" or tiny homes, log cabins, raised cabins etc.  This is a KOA - so the spaces are tight and close together, but for this trips' purpose, it was fine.

Similarly, if you have people who would never swim in the ocean - they have you covered!  There is a large pool - a double waterslide, a hot tub, a kids pirate playground, 2 enormous jumping pillows, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball, tetherball, etc.

This KOA is directly on the beach - you never have to get back in your car if you don't want to!  There is a super boardwalk with a bathhouse right off the beach, outdoor shower area (which is SO nice) and even a fish cleaning station for the fisherpeople in your life.  Your four-legged friends are not left out - they have a dog pick up station too!

The ocean front campsites even offered covered picnic tables - which for us is always a big win!  We love having an extension of our tent because OBX weather is a little unpredictable and summer - well, we can expect an afternoon thunderstorm.   We also liked the choice of camping on the ocean side or the sound side.  There are benefits to both choices - is it more important to you to camp with the shortest walk to the beach?  Is it more important to camp where you can watch the most beautiful sunset from your tent?

We had wonderful weather and were so thankful for the proximity to the beach.  We caught a beautiful sunrise one morning - and usually we are the sunset chasers!  Our weather was excellent and the ocean water was about 74 degrees - refreshing - yet warm enough to play in!  A strong recommendation if you need some amenities for your camping experience!

Side note - my ECLIPSE EQUINOX hoodie was amazing as a wet sunshirt this trip.  Not only did I wear the shirt on the SUP but my brother in law loved it as well! I actually prefer this shirt as a swim/sun shirt rather than for hiking now that I tried it in the water.  I did not like the way the hood came over my face when I fell in.  It took me a minute to figure out how to get it off my face.  Yet, my brother in law loved the sunshirt and wore it with a hat on the SUP - said the hood was his favorite feature!!

Great KOA!

Love Hatteras KOA. We stayed here for over 15 years in tents, then eventually worked our way up to the cabins. Now that we are RV owners we are able to stay here in our own camper. Good thing because the nightly prices for cabins became WAY overpriced. The RV sites are getting pricey as well. The proximity to the beach is great. There are no roads to cross so the campground is oceanfront. The pool is really nice and my wife and I feel comfortable with the kids riding their bikes all over the facility. There is a cafe onsite serving breakfast and lunch (dinner too I think). Although I typically use my mobile hot spot, Wifi is available. To top it all off Cape Hatteras National Seashore is one of the most beautiful places in the US. I would give 5 stars if it wasn’t so expensive.

Right on the beach

Stayed 3 nights at the Cape Hatteras KOA in July. Short walk to the beach, and convenient drive to all things on the island. Several shower buildings, laundry, play area and large pool. Internet was spotty.

Unimpressive

If this campground was anywhere other than the outter banks i probably wouldnt go back, with that being said the the campground clubhouse was really nice as well as the pool i just wasnt impressed with the rest of the grounds.

A gem of a campground in the Outer Banks

We have stayed in all types of RV Parks from local municipal parks to Fort Wilderness in Orlando, Florida. We have stayed at the Cape Hatteras KOA for the past 10-years.

The Cape Hatteras KOA consistency ranks near the top as one of the nicest parks.One of the biggest draws for us is the friendly and helpful staff who ALWAYS have time to answer a question, offer advice or just to say hello.

The sites are definitely wide and deep enough for the biggest and baddest of rigs. We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend and the place was packed…but somehow the facilities did not look like they had been through World War-3