Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 65 ft.
Cape Hatteras / Outer Banks KOA is located in North Carolina
11 Reviews of Cape Hatteras / Outer Banks KOA
Relaxing trip

Went in November which is off season. Very quiet. People were super friendly. Steps from beach. Beautiful pool and huge hit tub. Bar and cafe were closed for season. Great dog park. They were having problems with cable.went in and out. I wouldn't book an end site…..very small and too close to the road.

Best campground at the Outer Banks!

Tons of amenities, right on the ocean, clean bathrooms, wonderful employees!

Very nice

They claim to be a camping resort. Well, their definition of resort and mine are different…The grounds were very well-kept. Their property is Right on the beach and has direct access. Nice sandy beaches. There is a freshwater shower at the entrance to the beach so that you can rinse off when you’re done. The bathhouse was nice and clean. The shower area is co-Ed. They have a cute little play area for the kids, and had scheduled fun activities throughout the week. (some required an extra fee) Office doubled as a little camp store with some basic groceries, cold drinks, and souvenirs type stuff. All of the staff that we came in contact with were extremely friendly and helpful. They have a really nice pool area with zero entry and two small waterslides for the kids. Plenty of chairs on the pool deck, and a small area of shade where you could eat or get out of the sun.They had sites for RVs all the way to tents. We splurged this time (heat, salt, and sand!) and opted for a camping cabin.(I somehow forgot to take pictures of the cabin, but it is identical to the one in my Arkansas review… Except no TV. I really thought there was a TV… But no matter, we didn’t miss it.) The camping cabin was basic one double bed one set of bunkbeds, there was air-conditioning and plenty of room. A nice swing on the covered porch. Picnic table, grill, and fire ring. The cabins were very close together, but it wasn’t an issue. This campground also offers deluxe cabins which look like your typical Beachhouse type rental. We were visiting on the holiday, I had looked into tent camping over the Fourth of July weekend and they wanted $150 a night for a TENT site. Yeah, I don’t think so. The beach at the Outer Banks is lovely, it’s not commercial and trashy (like I would describe Myrtle beach) and as far as I could see everyone on the beach was good about observing social distance, and Nobody crowded each other. We stayed three nights and had a wonderful time. Overall we will definitely stay here again. Oh, dogs are welcome year round on the beach, only restriction being they have to be leashed. They are also welcome at the campground and there is a dog play area and a dog bathing area.

Kind of Awesome

Nice large facility on the coast. The pool area is really nice. Several laundry places and the shower facility was spotless. We were in space 107 which was 200 yards to the waters edge. It is very expensive but you pay for what you get. Black water Hook ups are on every other row. Cancellation policy is strict so place accordingly.

We even honeymooned here with our daughter

It’s comfortable, has nice amenities and not terribly far from the shore. Our 5 year old daughter loved staying here. The camp staff was helpful in giving us some alone time. We’ve gone back 4 more times. I can’t give it the 5th star because it lacks character and privacy. I’m not sure what they could do to improve it either. It’s a campground on dry, flat, packed sand - but they have made the most of it.

Great spot, enjoyed the pool, hot tub, beach, and sound side. The mosquitos are really bad because of the recent hurricane. I wish that they had a few more organized activities for my family, maybe a movie night. It's one of our favorites though, and we come back every year.

Campground for the whole family!

They don't call this the Cape Hatteras KOA Resort for nothing!!  This family friendly campground has SOMETHING for every interest!

We have several family members/friends who would never camp tent - which makes this is the campground for this purpose!  We are not normally KOA campers, but to be able to stay in the same space as family - and for them to have beds and Aside from tent/RV sites, there are "deluxe cabins" or tiny homes, log cabins, raised cabins etc.  This is a KOA - so the spaces are tight and close together, but for this trips' purpose, it was fine.

Similarly, if you have people who would never swim in the ocean - they have you covered!  There is a large pool - a double waterslide, a hot tub, a kids pirate playground, 2 enormous jumping pillows, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball, tetherball, etc.

This KOA is directly on the beach - you never have to get back in your car if you don't want to!  There is a super boardwalk with a bathhouse right off the beach, outdoor shower area (which is SO nice) and even a fish cleaning station for the fisherpeople in your life.  Your four-legged friends are not left out - they have a dog pick up station too!

The ocean front campsites even offered covered picnic tables - which for us is always a big win!  We love having an extension of our tent because OBX weather is a little unpredictable and summer - well, we can expect an afternoon thunderstorm.   We also liked the choice of camping on the ocean side or the sound side.  There are benefits to both choices - is it more important to you to camp with the shortest walk to the beach?  Is it more important to camp where you can watch the most beautiful sunset from your tent?

We had wonderful weather and were so thankful for the proximity to the beach.  We caught a beautiful sunrise one morning - and usually we are the sunset chasers!  Our weather was excellent and the ocean water was about 74 degrees - refreshing - yet warm enough to play in!  A strong recommendation if you need some amenities for your camping experience!

Side note - my ECLIPSE EQUINOX hoodie was amazing as a wet sunshirt this trip.  Not only did I wear the shirt on the SUP but my brother in law loved it as well! I actually prefer this shirt as a swim/sun shirt rather than for hiking now that I tried it in the water.  I did not like the way the hood came over my face when I fell in.  It took me a minute to figure out how to get it off my face.  Yet, my brother in law loved the sunshirt and wore it with a hat on the SUP - said the hood was his favorite feature!!

Great KOA!

Love Hatteras KOA. We stayed here for over 15 years in tents, then eventually worked our way up to the cabins. Now that we are RV owners we are able to stay here in our own camper. Good thing because the nightly prices for cabins became WAY overpriced. The RV sites are getting pricey as well. The proximity to the beach is great. There are no roads to cross so the campground is oceanfront. The pool is really nice and my wife and I feel comfortable with the kids riding their bikes all over the facility. There is a cafe onsite serving breakfast and lunch (dinner too I think). Although I typically use my mobile hot spot, Wifi is available. To top it all off Cape Hatteras National Seashore is one of the most beautiful places in the US. I would give 5 stars if it wasn’t so expensive.

Right on the beach

Stayed 3 nights at the Cape Hatteras KOA in July. Short walk to the beach, and convenient drive to all things on the island. Several shower buildings, laundry, play area and large pool. Internet was spotty.

Unimpressive

If this campground was anywhere other than the outter banks i probably wouldnt go back, with that being said the the campground clubhouse was really nice as well as the pool i just wasnt impressed with the rest of the grounds.

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift