About Grandfather Campground
Private
Grandfather Campground is located in North Carolina
3 Reviews of Grandfather Campground
Great tent sites

The bathroom that we used (at the top of the campground) is in need of updating. The showers in particular were moldy and didn’t drain well.

The campsites were amazing and ours backed up to a state park. In late July it was cool in the evenings. Some of the fire rings have ‘flip over’ grills which were super convenient. My 95 lb dog was welcome also. Very pretty Campground!

Great camping, terrible cabins.

We stayed here during ski season and it was great! Not very busy, which was fine and only 15 mins to the ski slopes. That trip we had a great experience.

On another occasion, over Labor Day weekend, we tried to get a spot but they were ful. So we decided to rent one of their cabins. Upon arriving, we found out that they had switched our cabin to a different one then the one we had originally booked, and it was so small (which would have been okay, but we had a young baby who needed to sleep in a port-a-crib, which did not fit anywhere in the cabin) but the real issue was that there was mold on the ceiling and coming down some of the walls. We immediately went down to the office, at first we were told there was nothing they could do. After I went momma-bear on them and let them know I would not be staying in a moldy cabin with a baby and demanded my money back, they finally agreed and gave us a refund. Luckily I was able to find a hotel that still had a room available.

So long story short: great for camping, beware of cabins.

High Country campground close to Boone

We stayed here 10 days in our 34-foot travel trailer and were very happy with our stay. The campground is located on Hwy 105 heading down from Boone towards Linville. There are two grocery stores within a 5-minute drive (towards Banner Elk) and several restaurants close by as well. When you turn into the campground, you will cross a narrow 1-lane bridge across Watagua Creek. The office is located around a circle and there are several sites backed up against the creek. We stayed up the hill, where there are three lanes of diagonal pull thru sites sloping up the hill. The sites are fairly level, long but a little narrow. Because of the slope, there isn't much 'yard' space, just a platform with a picnic table. However, there is a large field to the east of the rows that is great for play (even has a decent playground) with a fantastic view of the mountains. There's a decent mix of people here for the weekend vs staying longer term. Up in the trees there looks to be campers that haven't moved in years. The store is decently stocked with camping odds and ends though no groceries. The bathrooms I didn't have much occasion to use, but I heard several people complain about them during the busy weekends (dirty and low on supplies). The laundry facilities are pretty icky, but they did the job. The wifi is decent when there aren't a lot of campers. Over the weekends, forget about it. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend to others.