The best BOAT IN camping near
Garland , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Garland Camping Reviews
Good park

Nice family park and Hiking Trail

We enjoy coming here with our family during the fall.

Peaceful Family Campground with Beautiful Sunrises

The great thing about this campground is that it offers a peaceful setting no matter whether you are camping in your travel trailer, a tent, or as a group. As a leader of the Boy Scouts and the Royal Rangers, I have camped here many times in large groups. We even had a campout here with about 300 boys. As a group campout, there was lots of room for activities planned by our leaders—paintball, scavenger hunts, and evening campfire services. With that said, one of my latest campouts was just with a group of friends. I think the best fun was fishing, although I really like kayaking on the lake. At this campground, you don’t have to worry about driving in tent stakes if you are camping in a tent. The soil is sandy, and the ground is usually covered with pine straw. When I wanted to build a campfire, there were plenty of sticks and limbs to start and build a campfire. There is a swimming beach, but I would be careful about where I step since there is sometimes goose poop on the sand. You can also rent canoes and pedal boats. There is a hiking trail as well, but make sure you have waterproof shoes if it has recently rained. The trail beside the lake gets really muddy. The price is reasonable, and the staff is friendly. This is a laidback campground in a rural area, so if you are in need of supplies, you’d better bring them with you. The bath house has a concrete floor, but it is well-maintained. I have camped at this campground over a dozen times, and it never gets old. That’s why it’s one of my favorites.

Lovely little campground on the river

We used this campground as a stopping point after a trip to Fantasy Lake Water Park.  It's secluded, small, cute, and located right on the Lumber River.

Our particular site, PA 7, is one of two right on the river's edge, across from the Naked Landing trail.  Sites 7 & 8 would be perfect for two families to camp together, because they'd have the whole trail area to themselves.  These sites have a bit of hike-in required, in that you can't drive up to them (see my uploaded photo of where the parking lot is in relation to the sites).

There is a vault toilet near the parking lot ("that's gonna be a no from me, dog") but an actual restroom facility across the parking lot.

Each of the sites has its own trash can, and a ranger comes by in the morning to empty it.

The river is nice to swim in after a hot summer's day, although the bottom is quite squishy.  It's a good area to fish or use small watercraft.

We slept in hammocks and were awoken at dawn by a cacophony of juvenile barred owls directly above us.

A great campsite!

A great campsite! We had a fantastic time last week! We also had the privelidge of having the park COMPLETELY to ourselves…the ranger confirmed that we were the only campers that night!

A beautiful site, we only wished that we could stay longer.

Beautiful Family Spot

Wonderful place! We took the kayaks and camped for the 3 day weekend. It cost a bit more than expected and the beach area closed at 1800, which we had five kids, so that was a bummer. That is my only complaint. I wish we knew if the area without electricity cost as much. We never used the electric anyway.

Great campground but avoid the yurt!

I have camped with a large group of friends at site #2 a couple of times, but this weekend, I wanted to camp with just my two boys, and site #5 (the yurt site) was available.  This site was new since I had camped here last.  It said it slept 6 and the website showed a pic of two beds; I *assumed* there would be four more, since it slept 6.

Long story short, just 2 beds.  But the worst part was weeds growing up through the floorboards, ripped screens, doors that wouldn't zip completely, and two (purposeful) holes at the top that surely let in mosquitoes!  The boy who slept at ground level is completely bitten up, despite me spraying everyone with bug spray and using my tennis racket-style bug zapper to clear out the yurt before bed.

Our trash can was completely full (I mean, at least there's a trash can, but we could hardly use it). Our fire ring was full of ashes and the grate was jammed down.  The previous campers had left us a few jugs of water but also small pieces of trash scattered about.  What I'm trying to say was that this site was not maintained between the last visitors and us.

The campground, though, is awesome if you like roughing it.  You are allowed, thankfully, to drive to your site, but it's a hike to walk to the running water toilets, and I saw lots of people drive to them.  There is a closer pit toilet but I didn't check that out.

The lake is beautiful, shallow, warm, good fishing, fun for everyone!  Bullfrogs, peepers, and owls called all night.  Dragonflies galore flew about.  It's rustic, but relaxing.  And the visitor's center has a nice exhibit on the Carolina Bays.

Small Campground for Fishing, Kayaking, and Relaxing in a Country Setting

If you are looking for a small campground miles away from a big city, this is it. Although it is not a large campground, there are several things to do if you like fishing, canoeing/paddling, swimming (during the summer), and hiking. You can rent peddle boats and canoes, or you can launch your own, including jon boats. Boat motors are not permitted except for trolling motors, but it doesn't take much to get around the 69-acre lake. There are at least three islands in the lake and quite a few coves for finding a great fishing spot. There is a 2.2 mile trail that circles the lake, a playground for younger children, a picnic shelter, and two bath houses. The bath houses have concrete floors, but they have hot water showers. One drawback about the showers is that they are push button showers, meaning that you have to push the button repeatedly during your shower. There are two types of camping at this campground. In one area, there are sites that have water and/or electricity. The other area has primitive sites with only picnic tables and fire rings. At night, you will hear geese, which doesn't bother me but will bother some. Another drawback are the sounds of traffic coming from the distant highway and the occasional sounds of military jets flying overhead since this campground is centrally located between U.S. Marine and U.S. Air Force bases. Despite the negatives about this campground, I love it. I have camped here over a dozen times, sometimes with the Boy Scouts and sometimes with friends and family. The campground seems to have a laid back atmosphere, and the staff are friendly.

Low intensity Lake Camping

This is a great spot for campers who would like to car camp and have a swimming feature. The lake is super shallow for at least a hundred yards in all directions from the dock. Where shoes when walking on the dock, lots of nail heads and splinters.

The swimming dock is a short walk from campsite 1, but quite a hike from the other primitive group sites. There are some hiking trails that meander through the sandy pine forest. They range from a .75 mile self-guided nature trail to a 4 mile hike along the lake,

The campsite had picnic tables, fire pit, food prep counter and was not near any other campsites. The mosquitos (expectedly) were pretty voracious despite liberal application of repellent.

The pit toilet had a healthy population of spiders, but the campsite was an easy walk to flush toilets and water fountains.

It would be a nice, private place to camp in colder months, but not much to do. The sunset on the lake was absolutely gorgeous and we had it to ourselves on the first night. This is also a popular destination for locals, so there were quite a few people on the dock on Saturday.

Lovely small campground

Had a lovely stay here. The sites were kind of course together, but it turned out just fine. You can see tons of stars here at night, it is amazing! It's lovely to sit by the water and look at the night sky. Also, there's a lot of owls here at night. If you are a light sleeper you may want to consider ear plugs. It's lovely, but the owls do get kind of rowdy at points making a racket. There bath house was a decent walk, but nothing ridiculous.