Bolton, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Bolton Camping Reviews
Nice sized campground on the ocean

We went off season - October 2019 - and while the park still had a lot of people there were plenty of sites empty. Since it was off season the camp store and shuttle service was not open. Sites are tight by the beach and because of the dunes you don't get a view. But you were within a very short walk to the beautiful big clean beach and could hear the waves crashing. We only have a 24 foot motor home - so we felt a bit claustrophobic between the huge RVs on all sides of us. We decided to move to a different site that gave is some more room and not sandwiched in between other campers. it wasn't at the beach area - but we did not mind the walk - and we also had bikes to get around. The staff and maintenance did a great job. The grounds are clean and the staff very friendly when we arrived early and let us check in early and the a day later to let us move to another site.

Good Location for Economy Minded

We stayed here for 2 weeks in September 2019. We don’t have kids, so we didn’t need amenities to entertain them. There is no pool, or playground, but there is a large area to walk your pets. Yes, they are PET FRIENDLY.
It’s not a large RV campground, with only 34 back-in sites. You do have FULL HOOKUPS. The owner is very friendly and is easy to work with. He keeps the grounds neat and the showers and restrooms clean. You are only 10 minutes to Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle Beach. Also, North Myrtle Beach is only 25 minutes away. They close December 15th, until sometime in spring.
If you are just trying to get a place in the area and don’t need a lot of campground amenities, I would recommend this place to you. We’ll definitely be going back.

Beware of raccoons

Carolina Beach State park has an awesome location if you’re looking for an inexpensive place to stay at the beach. It’s a short drive to Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Fort Fisher. There is no swimming area at this park. There is a marina and some great hiking though! We took a day trip to Bald Head Island as well! The campsites are large and well secluded from each other. The restroom and showers are centrally located, and clean enough. One thing I will mention is the pack of gigantic raccoons that kept us up all night while we were there. We accidentally left some food out one night and they were bothering us all weekend, even during the day! Some of the biggest raccoons I’ve ever seen. Don’t be like us and leave food out, lol!

Amazing vacation

Best RV Resort we’ve been to so far. Large lots with nice long pull through, clean and quiet with a friendly staff. Amenities included nice swimming pool and hot tub. Volleyball net and basketball hoop on each end of pool. Shuffleboard, corn hole, sand volleyball. Game room had a pool table, ping pong table, air hockey. Books galore to borrow, DVDs if you have a player which we don’t, but we don’t camp to watch TV. Store had a puzzle you could spend time working on and a checkerboard with rocking chairs to just hang out in. The lake beach was closed for the season when we went but the inflatables looked like they would have been fun! Mile long paved path around the lake was great for walking or biking. Catch and release fishing too. Had a mix of annuals, short term campers and on the other side of the lake they had nice cabins and a small park model village. Exercise room and a nice clean laundry room. Bath house was 8 individual doors to full individual bathrooms of toilet sink and shower which were kept very clean. Cherry Grove beach was only 15 minutes or so away and there was a Food Lion less than 10 minutes for grocery shopping needs. Resort store had reasonable prices for ice and wood to burn in the fire pit. Only negatives which weren’t a big deal was nothing can be strapped to trees… aka no laundry line or hammock attached to the trees and no tents allowed. We will go back! Wish it was closer to home.

Lovely little campground on the river

We used this campground as a stopping point after a trip to Fantasy Lake Water Park.  It's secluded, small, cute, and located right on the Lumber River.

Our particular site, PA 7, is one of two right on the river's edge, across from the Naked Landing trail.  Sites 7 & 8 would be perfect for two families to camp together, because they'd have the whole trail area to themselves.  These sites have a bit of hike-in required, in that you can't drive up to them (see my uploaded photo of where the parking lot is in relation to the sites).

There is a vault toilet near the parking lot ("that's gonna be a no from me, dog") but an actual restroom facility across the parking lot.

Each of the sites has its own trash can, and a ranger comes by in the morning to empty it.

The river is nice to swim in after a hot summer's day, although the bottom is quite squishy.  It's a good area to fish or use small watercraft.

We slept in hammocks and were awoken at dawn by a cacophony of juvenile barred owls directly above us.

A great campsite!

A great campsite! We had a fantastic time last week! We also had the privelidge of having the park COMPLETELY to ourselves…the ranger confirmed that we were the only campers that night!

A beautiful site, we only wished that we could stay longer.

Loved it!

I visit White lake every year for vacation but this year we decided to add in a camping trip. We decided to check out Camp Clearwater. I did read bad reviews here & there but I wanted to give them a shot. And I’m glad I did! I had such an amazing experience here! Everyone was so nice and down to earth! I will definitely be back!😊

The friendliest and family oriented

I have never been to a campground that's all about family,but this place is all about keeping your family happy, So many free activities to keep you busy,clean and never overcrowded

A great place out in the country

Close to NC and SC beaches. Has a pool and bathhouse. Has wine tasting on the premises along with a vineyard. Has electricity, water and dump at each site. Wonderful owners that are very helpful. We’ve stayed here many times and have enjoyed it every time.

The best!

We had an absolutely amazing time! Tons of activities for the kids and adults! Nice clean bath houses, paved roads all the way through and the sites we're great!

Well equipped - a little for everyone - close to several beaches!

Brunswick Beach Camping Resort is easily found - just off highway 17 in Sunset Beach NC.  This campground has RV sites, tent sites and even little cabins.

As you pull off the road, it is set far from the road - which we liked!  This made for quieter nights without being able to hear passing traffic on the road.  You pass by the tobacco field on the right and pull into the campground.  This road is very skinny and I had to pull off several times to let a car pass.  As I pulled in there was a store immediately to my right where i went in to register.

I could see the swimming pool, volleyball court and horseshoes from just outside the store.  As I walked around the store, i noticed the laundry room and a bathroom attached to the back.

I like some of the scenery out back - a bit of water - some trees.  Yet there were many RV's and the sites were so close together.  Many activities for our kids - yet not one where we would be able to spread out and let them be free without worrying we were disturbing someone.

We had great cell phone service and free wifi while here - so if that is something you are looking for - look no further!  The little store sells a bit of everything you might need - and grocery stores are located within a few minutes down the road.

Small campground near sunset beach

Wishing Well campground is located off Sunset Beach in NC. It is a smaller campground, and much of the shared ground is a storage facility for boats and RV's that are not in use.  There are about 10 or 15 RV sites in the loop and the bathhouse is at the back of the loop.  Behind the bathhouse are about 10 tent sites, with electricity at most.  It was nice that the picnic tables were covered in the back of the property - yet the approach from the road, and the initial entraceway would turn some people away from this campground.

The people (and owners) were very friendly and I did like the privacy that this campground held.  It was close enough to easily drive to the beach, without being in the middle of craziness.

The bathhouse - very clean - but dated.  The showers were small - changing areas were provided, which was nice.  This is a nice campground - and very affordable!

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork XL at Carolina Beach State Park

Campground Review:

Carolina Beach State Park is located just over the bridge in Carolina Beach NC.  It is close to many restaurants and grocery stores, but offers a bit of seclusion with the large trees and overgrown shrubbery between sites.

We enjoy the short hikes at Carolina Beach State Park, and the visitor center!  The visitor center has fantastic exhibits of venus fly traps with hands-on activities for the kids, explaining about the different kinds of carnivorous plants that live in the park.  We found both pitcher plants and venus fly traps on one of our hikes!

This campground has 2 large loops - with affordable cabins scattered throughout.  It is a fairly large campground - almost 100 sites, with bathhouses, showers, spigots and trash through the park.  Camping costs around $26 a night for a tent site, or you could reserve one of their cabins (double bed and desk in the front room and bunks, or 2 bunk beds) for $58 - what a steal!!

One of our favorite sites is number 45 - it backs right up to the river - and is slightly elevated, allowing beautiful views (while it isn't raining!).  This campground also has a marina - where boats can be rented as well as put in.  There are hiking trails, both short and long - the shortest being the venus fly trap trail - where you can see both venus fly traps and pitcher plants.  We hiked Sugarloaf - down to the private beach -  and hung out for several hours.  It was wonderful!

Product review:

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I get to review items.  I reviewed the morsel spork XL while at Carolina Beach with my family. https://morselspork.com/products/morsel-spork

I have had several sporks while hiking the Appalachian Trail, yet this spork exceeds expectations.

First of all, the spork itself is sturdy, but pliable.  Secondly, the spatula feature on the side makes it easy to scrape every last bit of food out of your container or food pouch - and on a long hike - we don't want to leave one bite behind!  I have used this spork both with standard tupperware containers and also in dehydrated food pouches - and the XL is perfect! Lastly,  I dislike getting food on my hand when reaching in a pouch and the length of the spork is perfect! I can get a bite (with either the fork end, or the spoon end) and remove the utensil without getting slimy/sticky food on my hands.  I would highly recommend this spork for hiking/camping and my family is planning to use these in our lunches for the upcoming school year!

Weird experience

Area right on the beach first time camping literally 50 feet from the ocean it was an awesome experience but also weird, we got in for free but we drove in 4x4 didn’t want to leave the car so we parked on the outside, the next day we decided to leave and they charged me 30 dollars to get my stuff out i called 2 days prior they said it wasn’t a charge to camp but 30$ for all day beach driving i would stay again for the absolutely beautiful scenery but dealing with the staff will make me ponder

Enjoyed

Its a 5 because the only thing I don’t like is out of the staffs control and that is location to the beach, its not far, too far to walk 5 minutes drive to the coast line, staff is friendly facility is really clean nice camping spots for tents and drive in campers. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and will stay here again.

Secluded (kind of) beach camping

Are you on the sand beside the ocean? No, but this is a great campground with in the state park that has secluded campsites in the woods. This is a rare find this close to the beach/ocean. There are sites that you can not even notice you have neighbors. It is located in the town of Carolina Beach and is along the intercostal waterways. It has some nice trails for light hiking and is just down the road from the ocean. Being in town it is close to grocery stores, places to eat, and shopping. That being said once in the park you feel like you are far from the crowds of town. I like to use this campground/park as a landing spot. Hiking in the park but also adventuring out to the different beach things around.

A must if you want to camp on the beach!4x4 only

Been a family spot since 95’

Amazing and Fun Campground

This campground is well worth the visit!  Nicely wooded campsites that are very large and private!  The park has numerous hiking trails, a marina and a beach nearby!  Carolina Beach area has many things to offer; they have a boardwalk that in the summertime has bands playing free of charge, amazing restaurants, fun carnival type activities for the kids, and fireworks every Friday!  Weather you want to relax in seclusion in the forest atmosphere of the park or go to the beach and party the night away, Carolina Beach has it all!  From the state park the beach is only a 5 min drive, less than 7 miles!  You could almost walk there if you didn't have all that beach gear!  But you could certainly ride your bike!

Had a great time

Located on the beach, staff was very helpful and friendly.

They have a large pier for fishing located in the campground and if you are staying there they will provide tickets so you can use the pier.

Great Campground

Beautiful campground. Professional staff and spacious campsites.

Nice campground they had arts and crafts and the kids enjoyed train ride

Military campground near the beach

This campground was okay. The main draw is the beach, which is just across the road from the facility (about a five minute walk from the campground). The sites are back-in only and arranged on either side of a road that ends in a cul-de-sac that is too small to turn around in. The sites themselves are extremely long, but for some reason the hook-ups are all near the front of the site, so you can't take advantage of the length. They were in the process of repaving the sites during the stay, so there were some that were pristine and others with bits of rebar sticking out of them. They are pretty close together as well, with no shade. The check-in office is further down towards the river with no real place to turn-around, so I recommend calling ahead to know your site, unhook, then drive to check-in. There isn't a playground, but there is an aquarium down at Fort Fisher State Rec Area. Kure Beach and Carolina Beach had a few nice resturants. Oh, stop by for donuts at Britts (expect the line to be 30 minutes long, but if you go to the counter you may find a seat to eat-in). But yes, they are really good. The campground is about a 30 minute drive to Wilmington. I would visit here again because the price is decent, but I wouldn't go out of the way.

Simple Lakeside Life

While it's not the most exciting camping, Jone's Lake offers the simple necessities along with quick access to the lake. Hiking in the area is pretty flat though so don't go in expecting much of a challenge.

Quiet and Pristine

I've been to the campgrounds at Carolina Beach State Park a lot over the years and nothing has really changed since the first time. Rich native wildlife and plants in a shaded setting.The sites themselves are easily accessible and closely located to restrooms. Rarely have there been rambunctious clientele and you're centrally located to a number of recreational opportunities. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

Near beach

You need a DOD ID card to stay here. It is affordable if you qualify to stay. They will check and make you leave if you are not a card holder. It was a good location near the beach and on the cape fear. It was just a large open area where you can set up camp so unfortunately you don’t get the privacy that most want when camping. You can rent bikes and boats to use. Awesome aquarium down the street + cute little downtown area with food. Kids enjoyed it non the less but I prefer more secluded camping.

Very popular

This place is amazing, which is why it is popular and peopley.

Beautiful, peaceful, outdated

Carolina Beach is a beautiful and peaceful campground, with spacious and private campsites. Sites are easy to locate, easy to access. Plenty of shade and nice fire pits.

Bathrooms haven't been updated in decades. Showers don't offer much privacy, but do offer decent pressure and hot water.

Grocery store is half a mile away.

Loved the small town of Carolina Beach.

Highly recommend, and will return in the future.

Great campground but avoid the yurt!

I have camped with a large group of friends at site #2 a couple of times, but this weekend, I wanted to camp with just my two boys, and site #5 (the yurt site) was available.  This site was new since I had camped here last.  It said it slept 6 and the website showed a pic of two beds; I *assumed* there would be four more, since it slept 6.

Long story short, just 2 beds.  But the worst part was weeds growing up through the floorboards, ripped screens, doors that wouldn't zip completely, and two (purposeful) holes at the top that surely let in mosquitoes!  The boy who slept at ground level is completely bitten up, despite me spraying everyone with bug spray and using my tennis racket-style bug zapper to clear out the yurt before bed.

Our trash can was completely full (I mean, at least there's a trash can, but we could hardly use it). Our fire ring was full of ashes and the grate was jammed down.  The previous campers had left us a few jugs of water but also small pieces of trash scattered about.  What I'm trying to say was that this site was not maintained between the last visitors and us.

The campground, though, is awesome if you like roughing it.  You are allowed, thankfully, to drive to your site, but it's a hike to walk to the running water toilets, and I saw lots of people drive to them.  There is a closer pit toilet but I didn't check that out.

The lake is beautiful, shallow, warm, good fishing, fun for everyone!  Bullfrogs, peepers, and owls called all night.  Dragonflies galore flew about.  It's rustic, but relaxing.  And the visitor's center has a nice exhibit on the Carolina Bays.

Across the street from the beach!

No shade in this campground, but the location is everything! Basically a manicured field with cement pads and hookup poles. Bathhouse is nice and tidy but can be a small hike dependent upon where your site is. Mine was furthest away so we just drove up due to feeling lazy. Beach is close by- short walk and across the street. Lots to see and do in the area within minutes. Ferry ride nearby. (This is not myrtle beach- it’s a typical small NC family type beach). Loved my stay here! Was my first time camping in our popup and it could not have been better. Even saw a deer across from the campground in a field! Note: After reading other reviews, there has to be two areas to camp owned by the military in this location because ours was as described above. (Hubby is retired military. )

Flat hike

Hiked here a couple times. Lake is beautiful and there is a swimming area. Flat all around so if you're looking for difficulty this is not the place.