Cooks Mill , NEW YORK

Most Recent Cooks Mill Camping Reviews
There are also 4 remote sights for paddlers pn the Lake Champlain Paddlers Trail. You must call Burton Island State Park to make reservations

4 very nice remote campsites on the S.E. side of the island. Wake up to stunning sunrises and spectacular views of the Green Mountains. Spacious sites with fire rings. Shade is limited at certain times of the day. Nice hiking trails nearbye. These sites are separate from the State Park, even though reservations can only made by calling Burton Island. These sites are maintained by the park on behalf of Lake Champlain Paddlers Trail.

Private scenic campground

We had a lean-to site that was just far enough from the bathroom that it felt far. I found the site to be well maintained and for the rangers to be kind and help. Great place to visit on the island.

A bit pricey, but a very nice park

We stayed site 98E in the Hundred Acre Woods and were there for 2 weeks. The outer sites are wooded, but spacing varies. Unfortunately, there were no trees between 98E and 98D. We had the place pretty much to ourselves during the week, but the weekends got quite busy. AT&T had very poor data connection, <0.5 MB/s, as did T-Mobile. Their WiFi was very inconsistent, where I had to disconnect and reconnect multiple times per day to get measurable data rates. They do have a very nice network of trails, both within the campground property and in the surrounding forest, all of which were leashed dog friendly.  There are also lots of hiking trails along the river and around Lake Placid. Several were leashed dog friendly.

State Park

Lake front leento's have amazing view of mountains and sunrises. Plenty of tent, rv sites as well as secluded leanto's. Plenty of recreational opportunities

Nice location, could use some refreshment

This campground is just south of Lake Placid. Located near a main road, street noise is a problem, but it’s hard to beat the low cost proximity to Lake Placid and Saranac Lake if you want to explore the towns. The sites in the center of the loop are more open; if I had a larger rig, I’d stick to that area. Some areas get a little tight and the website doesn’t provide vehicle length information. I tried to take pictures of as many of the sites as possible. It needs an overhaul…the bathrooms were on the grungy and worn side.

There’s a trail to Scarface that leaves from the campground. Like many of the towns in the area, Saranac has a hiking challenge. Complete 6 hikes in the area and earn a patch; Scarface is one of the 6. The first part of the trail also takes you to a river for fishing. In addition to the Olympic sites in and around Lake Placid and Whiteface, I found some geocaches and discovered the John Brown Farm State Historic Site, which was open for exploration. It was interesting to learn a little more about the man behind the raid on Harper’s Ferry.

Hikes abound. There are numerous boating opportunities in the area. Next door is a barbecue place that seemed to be busy.

I’d probably limit myself to a day or two here and then head to some of the other campgrounds in the area that offer more direct access to the water or trails, but as I said, it’s a nice base for Lake Placid and Saranac Lake, just understand the trade-offs and you won't be disappointed.

Dated but nice

Nice campground near Plattsburgh. Sites somewhat small and tight but there are some larger sites. Staff very friendly, under new ownership, lots of seasonal sites and folks, fun activities, campers friendly and welcoming, roadway a little rough but overall ok, nice large pond, reasonable price,

First time camping

We whent her for our first stay in our class c motorhome and had a wonderful weekend they have a beautiful pond and its peaceful environment great for families and camp owners are helpful and polite

Nice location, well kept

Stayed for two nights, great campsite, awesome sites. We got, unexpectedly, a nice pull through, full hookups all close together so easy setup. Our site wasn't level but only required a small adjustment. Good cell coverage and excellent Wi-Fi. There were plenty of open spots while we were there. Definitely reccomended.

Beautiful waterfront spot and nice amenities

We had a great holiday weekend in this campground of Adirondack. It’s nice to close to the river, also you can rent boats from the registration. There are lots of facilities you can use, also it’s close to few hiking trails. Will definitely come back again.

This is a covid summer

We were trying to get out of state for a week or so but with so many restrictions in so many states we decided to stay within our own. We have never stayed for any time in the high peaks area of the Adirondaks. This campground has 2 parts to it , the resort side and the 100 acre side. I wanted to stay by the Ausable River and that on the resort side. Check-in was smooth and there campground store has everything you could need for either dry or rv camping . And all the chachskis to boot. This area still is in phase 2 so the pool, and playground and anywhere else people can congregate were off limits. The resort side had views of the mountains looking in 1 direction and the river in the other , the sites were well maintained and the staff were helpful. The only downside thing I can say is there were no bathrooms with showers open. I was told it was because of covid they weren't allowed to be open , However there is no restrictions on bathrooms. They could have only had 1 opened and closed the others they had. I am camping with 5 people in my party that toilet could have come in handy in the morning. Like I said this was my only gripe, and we are in strange times. I would camp here again.