the dyrt
About Buttermilk Falls State Park
Buttermilk Falls State Park is located in New York
16 Reviews of Buttermilk Falls State Park
Go to the falls

The campground is amazing and GO SEE HOSE FALLS!

Falls are worth the trip

This place has amazing hiking trails with great waterfalls. Campsite was clean and bathrooms were ok. Plenty of room on site.

One of the great places to camp in Ithaca, NY.

Great camping if you love hiking, trail running or waterfalls.

Lovely falls close to Ithaca

Been here in all the seasons, each is beautiful. Campgrounds are wooded. Pretty basic facilities, nice though. None of the tent sites have exceptional views but you’re a short walk from the creek/gorges. Reserve ahead of time in summer. Lots of woods, wildlife here and in the many other state parks close by to keep all ages occupied.

Short stay, but glade it was short.

I drove in on a Monday and was possibly going to stay till Thursday but ended up leaving Tuesday morning. And for purely camping purposes I'm glad I did.

First let me say that the staff and falls/hiking were top notch and the two stars do not reflect them but the camping instead. The sites are close together which is ok for short stays but I prefer some space. The hill you climb to the camp sites is riddled with pot holes. The bathroom was not very upkept/ updated and kinda dirty. The road noise at night (from rt13 below) and the sound of the bathroom door slamming did not help with getting a good night sleep.

I had picked this campground over Treman because of proximity to Ithaca but the gravel road getting to the campsites kinda kill any time advantage you would have. With no real time savings ,a lot of noise pollution during day and night and being very close to your neighbors I would not recommend staying here unless you stay in a cabin or as a last resort.

Great wine country camping

Been coming here since I was a kid. The falls are always fun, despite the lack of impressive height. The fact they're integrated into the swimming area is a unique feature.

The camping itself is typical of upstate NYS parks, earthy, woodsy and not crammed too close together. Location in the Finger Lakes region makes it a good base camp for winery tours. Recommended.

Buttermilk Falls

Picturesque Finger Lakes state park with a day’s worth of hiking trails on site. The campground is wooded and lovely but the tent sites don’t have views of the falls or anything, couldn’t hear water at night. Deer outside the tent, wildflowers through summer, great leaves in fall.

Lots to do!

This is an excellent campground because it has plenty to do for everyone. There are a lot of amenities on the actual campgrounds such as fields for playing games or taking a stroll but there are also gorges and waterfalls you can hike to!

Awesome hikes, and great scenery!

This campground is really nice, with lots of outdoor activities to do. I really enjoyed hiking, swimming and seeing all the beautiful waterfalls. They do have a "upper" and "lower" park. The lower park is where you will find the campground, swimming areas, and a big open field. My family and I enjoyed throwing our Frisbee around in this field, and also saw people playing flag football. The upper park has a lot of really cool hiking trails, a lake, another big field and an area that has picnic tables. My family and I spent half our time in the lower park, and the other half in the upper park. We mostly went to the upper park for the hiking. We went mid-July, and we did see that they offer some park tours if you are interested in that. I believe they take you on a tour through the Buttermilk gorge, and along some of the hiking trails. We opted out of the tours, and just went by ourselves. The swimming area/falls area was pretty packed, and the parking in that area was pretty jammed packed. The campground itself was OK. Nothing too special about it, and not much privacy between each site. We reserved our area online a few weeks before we went, and opted for an area that seemed out of the way and private- however, it wasn't. Luckily, we were hardly at our campsite so we didn't mind that much. There are bathrooms on site that also have showers, which is nice. They do have some stores close by, but nothing within the park. We stopped by a store called Wegmans before we came into the campground, and got all out food supplies there. I would maybe call in advanced if you want to see the falls, just to make sure there is water…apparently people were saying there isn't always water in the swimming hole, and waterfalls year round.

Love love love

We have stayed here on two seperate occasions. It is close to so many waterfalls and gorges and some of my favorite hiking trails. The lack of amenities drives a lot of people away- we have never felt crowded while here.