the dyrt
Fire Island National Seashore, NEW YORK
Most Recent Fire Island National Seashore Camping Reviews
Very exspensive.Rude staff. Filthy bathrooms

Will never ever go back to this campground! Doesn’t even deserve one star.

Nice beachside campground

The campsite is a nice campground for easy access to the beach (Long Island sound) and if you want to go to the Long Island wineries. The proximity to those two things make it a popular destination for city folk who don’t understand the proper decorum for a campground. Music starts blasting early here.

Great local spot

This is a great local spot that I love to go to get out of the city for a little bit. There’s elevation gain, creeks, and open fields for stargazing. You have the options of a lean to here.

Very 'populated' with other campers

I am not an overall fan of populated camping sites. This one is acceptable, to me, because of the abundance of trails and wildlife you can venture out to see and my stars are based on that. Not to say the camp site does not deserve 4 stars. It does, there are more than the needed amenities here. Not to mention town is a few minutes away.

I don't have photos of our site, I was mainly interested in photographing our encounters. There is an abundance of the campsite photos on here already. Here you will find, what is around when you look for it.

Our site was nice though, we tried to go to a quiet spot, end of the designated grounds, away from campers in general. Flat, room for the tents. Firepit had a grill top over it. We basically just slept there and were taking trails and enjoying the beachfronts the rest of the trip.

This is a great family camping area. We saw a lot of kids having a blast. Not recommended over a major holiday weekend or anything unless you don't mind crowds. We tried to go on a lazier weekend in August.

We saw a lot of awesome birds, a turtle and deer. My favorite was the Great Horned Owl

Great Location.

Great Location Clean Park.

Manicured grounds; sites far apart

Ward Pound Ridge is very well known to the locals as a great place for sled-riding in winter (Pell Hill area) and a place for big group gatherings. The many different trails are frequented by the locals as well. In recent years, the county government also allow bow-hunting of deer to control its population during the months of October to December.

As far as camping as a family, it is not too exciting a place for us. The grounds are far too well trimmed, as you can see in one of the videos. There is wide open space and the paths are well paved so kids can have fun riding the bikes or running around. There is also many trails of various difficulty levels to suit everyone, including horseback riders. The Trailside Nature Museum is also fun for the kids.

There are lean-to sites as well as tent sites. A maximum of eight people in two tents are allowed at each site. But if you really do have a party of eight, one picnic table seems to be inadequate. The sites are much farther away from the comfort stations than most campgrounds we have been to. But there are port-a-potties very close to the sites, which is very important when you have young kids.

All in all, it is not a place I would recommend if you want to get close to nature.

Beach camping (almost)

Fire Island is a great spot in the summer, but can be busy. Camping gets you away from the bustle. It is a little less than a half mile walk from the ferry dock and located behind the dunes which offer some protection. Take a quick walk down to the beach.

Two-night minimum on weekends, and no fires. You can bring charcoal to cook on the grills provided or camp stoves, though.

Easy-Going Family Campground

Perfect beach camping for families. The sites are spacious, mostly flat and grassy. If you do your research in advance you can secure sites with some shade for the hot afternoons. All have convenient bathhouse access which includes men’s/women’s/family shower facilities, toilets and an outdoor sink area for cleaning dishes etc. No matter where your site is you are only a 5-10 minute walk from the beach. If you don’t want to spend everyday on the beach there’s a nature center and walking/biking path on site as well as many attractions nearby (Mystic Aquarium, Mystic Seaport, outlet shopping). Quiet hours are 10PM-7AM, great for the little ones and, honestly, after a full day on the beach all of the adults are exhausted as well. Our crew has a tradition of booking sites with other families early in the year so we can grab a whole row of sites… we book one extra as a communal site for meals, fire, etc. The kids are able to take over the road with bikes, scooters, chalk, whatever! Stress-free, easy family camping! The only reason I give this place 4 stars, and this the the fault of the State of CT, is that people can smoke on the grounds. There was an individual that smoked throughout the day right outside the family restroom and there are butts on the beach. Get with the program CT!!

Expect to be eaten alive

It was absolutely gorgeous, don’t get me wrong. However, it was nearly impossible to enjoy ourselves because we were getting attacked by mosquitoes and horseflies the entire weekend. When we first arrived to the campground, we were immediately getting attacked so we doused ourselves in deet. Even with the bug spray, the relief didn’t last long. We couldn’t even enjoy our meals at camp because it was that bad. Def bring a shelter or a canopy with a mosquito net!!! We spent a lot of time inside our tent, needless to say. We tried spending more time up at the beach to get some relief, but the horseflies were out of control!! They have a cool bar down by the boat dock that was fun, but prob won’t make it back here.

Beach camping at its finest

Beautiful location steps away from the beach. Listen to the waves crashing as you sleep and stargaze over the clear ocean. Not ready for full on camp-life? No problem! There are shops, a restaurant and a bar a 10 minute walk away! One warning, however, the mosquitoes are extremely potent and plentiful. Take the good stuff. There are park rangers on site and have excellent programs for kids.

My grandkids love camping here, it is so peaceful and great biking and hiki

the only down fall no electricity

Beach side

4x4 a must, air down a must

beautiful on the bay or ocean side. They also have a hill top section. Beautiful views. Dry camping in an Rv no tents

Friendly place

The campgrounds wAs good. The beach and bathrooms were dirty. The beach had garbage on it. Dirty diapers were laying around. Bathrooms on the beach looked like they were never cleaned all season.

Barebones state park. Clean. Right in walking distance of the beach!

Clean and beautiful state park. Beautiful camp area. Walking distance from the beach with some good waves.

surfers dream

I grew up in Long Beach. If you’re looking for a spot to camp so you can surf, this is perfect! It’s basically a parking lot, but it’s steps away from some of the greatest waves on the east coast. Showers are clean, there’s a dog park nearby, and the island is very bikable to get around.

benefits: allows dogs childrens playground beach programs like movie nights throughout the summer

Nice field camping

This campground is very open and spread out. Easy to set up a tent next to your vehicle. Major plus being so close to the beach. On site bathrooms as well.

Good park close to home

This is not our ideal campground. We usually like to be far from people with minimal neighbors, but living on L I, your options are limited. That said, the sites close to water are nice. They offer more to see and feel a little more like camping. There are sites with electric, water but those fill up fast.

You are a short walk from beach access and kayak launch. There is a playground for kids and clean facilities. I enjoy going here as it is easy for a quick weekend.

Okay beach with nice facilities

The actual beach isn't too nice; not soft sand, broken shells, and cigarettes. However, the campgrounds have nice facilities like a shop, good showers, a playground, and volleyball courts. Be noted PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED in the summer. We were not aware of this.

Gorgeous quiet campground

This was my first time camping here and I was amazed at how clean the sites were & quiet the campground was. The camp office workers are SO friendly and helpful . The sites have provided electric and water and are kept so clean. They have shower and restroom facilities , the showers were amazing and also so clean ! I had such a great stay and this is deffinatly one of my top favorite campgrounds. You can take bike rides , and relax outside with a nice amount of space to yourself .

Perfect campground for anyone who wants to camp off the grid

This hidden gem is located right in Hampton Bays and is the perfect campground for anyone looking to camp off the grid. Tucked away in the woods is a beatiful well kept & maintained campground with spacious sites , a lake with kayaking access , and trails for bike riding and hiking. Each camp site spot has a provided water hook up . This campground does not have an electric hook up but generators are allowed ! It is perfect for a peaceful and quiet weekend / week stay. I have been here so many time and it has always been my favorite . Friendly and helpful staff , friendly locals , and close to stores & great restaurants. If you are in the area please check this place out ! You won’t regret it!

Enjoyed my time there

Spent two summers there when they had the fishing and kayaking tournament met new friends and old ones I do hope they come back to Brooklyn Great place to RV and Camp out

Camper side review

Stayed here for two nights with my popup and was surrounded by large motor homes/RVs. sites had zero privacy and were all pull through. There was water, electric and sewer hookups at each site, but this was an expensive place to ‘camp’. Bathrooms and showers were not really clean, which was surprising because most people used their personal bathroom/shower in their RV. It is close to the beach, but a very small and rocky beach. Overall, I don’t think this was the best place for us.

Great peaceful campground we always enjoy.

This date run campground is grey for a few reasons, the biggest being : the beach! We enjoy the good size, clean, grassy campsites and the open space. The kids can ride their bikes all over the park safely and the bathrooms are clean. Only down fall- sometimes there are loud late nights, and dogs are not allowed. We love this beach and look forward to our stay every year

Clean and spacious

The campgrounds are clean and spacious but very open, being a beach there are a few campers who enjoy staying up quite late and listening to music. I don’t mind the noise but the nats (little black flies) make it nearly impossible to enjoy an evening. The beach is a short walk away from the camping site, but the camp sites do fill up FAST over the summer up until school starts back up so if you plan to camp, BOOK AHEAD!

Best place ever

camping directly on the beach at one of the nicest beaches in the world. You cannot find another place like this!!

Sweet little beach, good campground and amenities

Campground has lots of grass, and wide range of site options. Some are out in the open and others have more shade or trees, but all in all it is a lovely place. Short walk to the beach from the campground. There is a little refreshment stand near the beach where you can get simple food and beverages. Sites for tents and rvs. Plenty of space so doesn’t feel crowded!

Beach is in a protected cove so it has a relaxed feel, and the campground is protected/wooded and inland, so no crazy ocean winds.

Great sites

Beware and prepare for ticks. Very wooded.

Great camping with beach!

large sites, very clean state campground.Many sites have water, electric and sewer.

Nice beach on the Long Island sound.

short walk to beach

campground was a bit crowded and not much shade but the short walk to the beach made it worth it. store is a bit distanced from most sites, bathrooms are run of the mill but centrally located. bugs weren’t too bad in July.

awesome

just a great place to get away from home