the dyrt
About Fillmore Glen State Park
Fillmore Glen State Park is located in New York
10 Reviews of Fillmore Glen State Park
Filmore glen statepark

This campground was very small and unique. Campsite was very rocky.

Very clean and family oriented

Bathrooms are very clean and close to all campsites. Kids loved the park and swimming in the waterfall beach.

Old Faithful

I’ve been camping at this campground for years. I was also born and raised in this area and spent most of my life visiting this park in my youth from recreation camps to science classes to high school reunions.

Yes, this is a busy campground for a small town but what people forget is the hiking trails and the falls that you see are absolutely breathtaking. The staff have always been super friendly and go above and beyond to maintain this park for generations to visit and camp at.

I will continue my tradition of camping here as long as I can because I love this place and what it has to offer. Keep up the good work!!

Moravia is a small town full of small town charm.

Noisy for tents

Camp facilities were clean and well maintained. However, we were the only tent campers around and the RV groups were loud late and early. We struggled to sleep because of the noise. Tent campers beware.

Ranger Review: OOFOS OOriginal Sport Sandals at Fillmore Glen State Park

Gear Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am one of the lucky ones that get to review outdoor gear from time to time. My husband, Hutch, and I each got a pair of the OOFOS OOriginal Sport Sandals and spent the last couple weeks hiking, cycling, and camping in them in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. These are not your average pair of flip flops…they are amazing! We may never take them off.

What we love about these shoes:

• Unbelievably comfortable! Designed as a recovery shoe but can be worn for just about everything from the shower to the campground to light hiking and cycling.
  • The toe thong is integrated into the sole, making them more durable and less likely to pull through/out. The rubber is so soft that it doesn’t irritate the area between the toes, even after walking in them for many hours.
  • Stylish! I wore them with a nice outfit and my feet didn’t feel underdressed.
  • They stay on your feet when walking in water. My previous pair of flip flops felt like they were coated in Vaseline when they got wet, but these sandals stay put. They float, which is plus if you lose them in the lake. Lose them in a river and all bets are off though.
  • When people ask who makes them, it’s fun to say OOOFOOSS twice (because they never understand you the first time you say it).

What could be improved:

• I can typically find some constructive criticism about the products I review, but these are our new favorite shoes. Maybe a few more color options for men would be a nice addition to the line?

Thoughts and ideas:

• Can OOFOS make insoles for hiking boots? They’d be amazingly comfy.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/C0zOZm9q5qc

Campground Review:

From the gorgeous hike up the gorge to kayaking at sunset on Owasco Lake to enjoying some wine from the grapes grown in the region, the Finger Lakes region is hard to beat for total family entertainment. We came for a couple nights to check it out and stayed for over a week!

This campground is great for families and groups! Each site has a picnic table and fire ring and there are both electric and non-electric sties from which to choose. The sites in the middle section of the campground don’t really have designated boundaries, while those around the edges are more traditionally divided. There is literally no privacy between any of the sites.

We were at site 35 (in the middle section) and there were 2 large groups on either side of us who came for the weekend. The grassy field is great for kiddos to run-amok and there is a playground at the far end of it so parents can keep an eye on the kids while enjoying time with their friends and family.

The bathrooms are modern, kept very clean, and the showers are awesome. There are a couple picnic areas/shelters* and a gorgeous natural pool with lifeguard. *P.S. The picnic shelter up by the gorge is amazing! It’s worth the walk up the stairs.

But, the campground is only the beginning of what this area has to offer! Just a short walk from the campground, you will find the Village of Moravia which has everything you may need, including some great ice cream and pizza. It’s a cute little town filled with many historic homes so take the time to walk or cycle around. Also, Owasco Lake is a short drive from the campground and is great for all types of water sports.

We did our usual reservation-less “pull up and see what they have open” style of camping, but during the main season, this place is nuts! You’ll definitely need to plan ahead and make reservations if you plan to be here on the weekends during the silly season. Bonus: Prices are lower on weekdays and you get a reduced rate for your second night, too.

Beautiful trails, busy campground

We visited 6 state parks in the Finger Lakes region of New York this past summer. Fillmore Glen State Park was our favorite for hiking, but probably our least favorite for camping. The trails are uncrowded and well maintained. We hiked along the south rim trail and the gorge trail. The gorge trail is especially cool, with 9 foot bridges crisscrossing over the river. There are several gorgeous waterfalls, and the walk was shady and cool, even though it was a hot day. After hiking through the glen, we were hoping to cool off with a swim, but the swimming area was closed. Not sure why, but you can only swim when lifeguards are on duty, and there were No Swimming signs everywhere.

The campground at Fillmore Glen was totally full when we stayed there. The sites offered little privacy and were very close together, plus you could here road noise loud and clear all through the night. The water faucet near our site was out of order, and the bathrooms were only clean in the morning. The sites were all wooded and shaded, with nice flat spots for tents, but I probably wouldn’t stay there again during the busy summer months. If you’re headed out that way, I would definitely recommend Fillmore Glen for a day trip, but I’d camp at either Robert Treman or Buttermilk Falls state park in Ithaca.

Gem in the Heart of CNY

Beautiful little park. Wonderful trails, swimming pool, and activities for kids. Camp sites are a little close.

Fillmore Glen Park

Awesome little park in the Finger Lakes region with nature on site and lots more to do and explore nearby (wine trails!). Swimming is only allowed in certain parts and there are some pretty steep drop offs so watch the kids close. The campground has playgrounds and areas for various sports but is pretty “rustic” overall. There are cabins and camping along the creek and if you want quiet get the sites furthest away from the road across the creek, trees but not a lot of shade. Had a good time.

Fillmore

Lots to do! Family friendly.

Named for a president Filmore Glen

A beautiful densely wooded campground. Complete with five water falls, spring fed swimming area, hiking trails, all set in a gorge type atmosphere. The 60 camp sites are in private areas protected by wooded areas, but for the less adventurous there are fully serviced cabins available. Hot showers and other conveniences are available. Activities include hiking on many trails, fishing swimming, and what I thought was unique was the spring fed swimming pool. It is cool but refreshing. The winter the camp ground is open for hiking, x country skiing and smobiling. There is a cabin on site that is the replica of Millard Filmore's youth.(13th President of the United States) Loved the area and the beautiful scenery on the hiking trails a must visit for those wanting to get back to nature.