Upper Delaware National Scenic and Recreation River, NEW YORK
Camping New York Upper Delaware National Scenic and Recreation River
Most Recent Upper Delaware National Scenic and Recreation River Camping Reviews
Lovely!

Great campground ! Shady, lots to do, clean! Our site was roomy and serene! Recommend!

Great Family Place

We havent been there this year yet. We stayed here 3 times (2016/17/18). Each stay was great. The staff is very friendly. There we alot of activities, and the place was very clean. We will definitely be back.

Into the woods.

Love this place. We have stayed here multiple times since it’s so close to home. Reservations are needed only for major holidays during camping season; Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Must book the entire holiday weekend 3 days (90$ for non electric sites add $5 each day for electric). I believe it’s 51 camp sites which vary in size and majority has electric hookups. When not going on a holiday it is first come first serve spots which is good if you just need to spend one night here. Pull into whichever site you want and at some point the groundskeepers will come to collect your money.

It’s deep in the woods of the park so there is good shade which is nice on the hotter days. The campgrounds have two bathroom facilities which have showers. No complaints with the bathrooms from me but I didn’t use the shower part. The bathrooms are cleaned daily or every other day it seemed. Some spots are more secluded than others..and there is a bit of a hill to the bathroom if you pick spots 1-7 and 48/9 I think it was. Something to consider if you have mobility issues. There are water spigots around the grounds and attached to the bathroom facilities. But no actual sites with water hookups for RVs.

The workers drive around the campsite every few hours and each time we have been there (maybe 4 or 5 times) the local police have made their presence known. Our recent trip around 11pm some drunk (alcohol isn’t allowed on campgrounds) was drunk screaming, 3 cop cars drove through. The screaming stopped. One thing to also consider is we had horrible cell service (we have sprint). Could not make calls or use internet at campgrounds or the park but did see others who were using cellphones…so if you have sprint don’t plan on making calls.

Each site has a picnic table & fire ring. The sites are gravel/dirt & grass. Quiet hours are from 10pm-7am. We found the sites closer to the Playground side/closer to the bathrooms to be more noisy. Also those sites are closer together which would be good for larger groups. Have never had a problem with noise though we have only stayed further away from those areas. The playground has a volleyball net and other Normal playground equipment that I saw driving past it.

Each time we have been there there was an ice cream truck that goes through each day..some days it’s multiple times.

There is no longer Boat Rentals at this park.. but there is a large lake to kayak and fish in. NO SWIMMING. The lake is a nice size and has a trail so you walk the entire length with benches around a good portion to sit and/or fish. There is a nice sized pond at the park to fish which also has benches around it. By the pond there is a nice picnic area with many picnic tables and grills. Another playground and a large pavilion. This picnic area also has a bathroom.

There is a pond when you first turn into the park. The pond also has benches around it but not all the way around.

Fishing license is require to fish here and they do come around to check licenses.

This place is great if you want to just get away into the woods. Check the parks website to see site sizes before going or stop and take your pick of what’s available.

Nice little campground

A better than average campground in my opinion. Bathhouse was very clean. Lots of kids for our daughters to hang out with. Close to Bushkill Falls which we hiked. 👍

Gorgeous Trails

The whole park is amazing. Recommend Little Falls Trail. We also explored Conservation Island. Many more trails to explore and not enough time. The surrounding town is small and very cute.

Amazing Views

We had site 100 and amazing views of the water from our camper. The trails were beautiful, recommend little falls trail. The bathrooms were clean with nice hot showers.

Great NPS campsite on the Delaware

This is a campsite that is maintained by the NPS. It is just past Dingmans Ferry Campground and is only accessible by water (Kayak, canoe, boat, or in my case a packraft).   The site is free but is available on a first come first served.  I stayed here for my second night on the river (my first night was spent at Namanock Island about 8 miles north.

The site has a designated fire pit with a grate.  It's quite spacious and can fit several tents easily.  It backs up to the McDade Recreation Trail which is pretty cool as we were able to hike out of there the next day.

We cooked S'mores, ate hot dogs, and used a Jet boil for our meals.

Note: this is a primitive site meaning there are no bathrooms.  Please exercise leave no trace principles and pack out all trash if you plan on visiting!

Overall I would recommend the site as it was clean, well maintained, and relatively easy to unload on small sand beach on the Delaware. Happy Camping!

Better than expected

First time using our complementary 1 year Thousand trails pass. It’s a find your own site park. Some are a bit narrow, but I found a nice pull thru. Only real activities here for kids are pool and shuffleboard. Very quite here which I hear is opposite from the North park right up the road. Staff is nice. Would come back

New Owners.. too Corporate

Loved camping here last year. Close to home for my family to be able to do multiple trips. We especially enjoyed being able to leave our trailer on the site for the week and return the following weekend and having everything set up and ready to go. You can no longer do that. We also enjoyed the breakfast(pancakes or French toast)on Saturday mornings. It was a great way to start the day and meet other campers. They no longer do that either. The store closes to early for a weekend and they no longer have the yummy variety of soft serve ice cream(my children think this is the worse thing they did). Hopefully they will bring some of these things back.

Awesome time

Always love this place best campground in the frustrate if you have younger kids !!!!

Ranger Review: Gregory Zulu 55 at Namanock Island

Campground Review: This is one of my absolute favorite camping areas I have ever been. Namanock Island is only accessible by water and is roughly 4 miles down the Delaware River if you leave from Milford Beach in Milford, PA. There is a ten dollar fee per day to park your car so bring cash as the parking area is not always manned and you’ll have to leave the fee in an envelope that is available just past the entrance. These sites are canoe, kayak, or(in my case) packraft accessible. The sites are maintained by the NPS and are available on a first come first served basis. Also there is no cost to camp on the river save the parking fees you paid in Milford! This was my first time making the trip with a friend and it was awesome to have some company. We stayed at site 13 (marked by a small square sign). Once at the tip of the island you will want to stay to the right on the river and close to the shore of the island(on your left hand side) as the site comes up relatively quickly and you won’t want to shoot past it. It’s a steep climb up the shore so be prepared for that. You have a small piece of shoreline that is mostly rocks. It’s a great spot to sit and enjoy the sun, sounds of nature, and have yourself a cold beer. You are limited to one night on the island. They are primitive campsites which include a fire ring and a primitive toilet. The sites are in excellent shape! This was my first time venturing to the island on a weekend(Friday) night but we had the place to ourselves so that was awesome. I’ve read that if you are going on a weekend that it’s advisable to go earlier in the day. We were on the island by 3 and had no problem securing our site, granted it was early June so your mileage may vary if you are going during the peak of the summer. It's a rare thing to camp on an island and Namanock is so serene and peaceful, you’ll hear the water flowing gently all night, perfection! We had ourselves a nice fire and made hot dogs and s’mores. The next morning we packed up and set off for another site about 8 miles down the river. After camping at the next site we packed up and hiked back along the McDade Recreation Trail to Dingmans Ferry access where we caught the River Runner Shuttle(a free shuttle that runs along the river on Saturdays and Sundays in the summer free of charge) back to the car in Milford. We were pressed for time otherwise we would have made the full 12 mile hike, instead we hiked slightly more than 4 miles. I’ll keep going back to this site as often as I can and can’t recommend it enough. In order to be prepared for the river camping experience

I would recommend purchasing the National Geographic map of the Delaware Water Gap and/or the DWG map set sold by the NYNJ Trail Conference as they have all of the sites outlined.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. At Namanock Island, I got to test out the Gregory Zulu 55 pack. This pack comes loaded with features. It fit all of my gear (sleeping bag, tent, food sleeping pad, backpacking chair, packraft, paddle, clothes, etc with absolutely no problem. I am 5’7’’ and weigh about 145 lbs, the small/medium pack fit me perfectly. I really loaded this thing up with my rafting gear for our 4 mile hike back to the parking area and never once felt like I had a hot spot or any discomfort whatsoever. The Zulu features Gregory’s FreeFloat suspension technology designed to move with your body and I’d say mission accomplished, it really felt like it responded well to my movements and never once did it feel uncomfortable! The Zulu comes loaded with pockets both external and internal as well as multiple lashing points which perfectly suited my needs for my packrafting trip as I was able to secure it easily to my raft and lash extra gear externally. The fact that they include a rain cover is a nice bonus! The only issue I had was with my water bladder. I use a platypus big zip 3L which perfectly fit in the sleeve provided for a water bladder however it did not clip in well to the clip provided as it is designed for Gregory’s hydro reservoir. This is far from a deal breaker but worth mentioning. I have a few packs and the Gregory Zulu 55 is 100% going to be my go to for overnights and multi-day efforts!

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the pack at Gregory’s site here: https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/zulu-55-1115ZUL55.html

Had a great experience. Bunch of us guys went for weekend campout. 6/21/2019-6/23/2019

Great fun. 8 guys from our Bible study group. Lots of firewood available to gather. Clean site. Well behaved neighbors. Definitely will go there again.

Family Oriented

Great place to bring kids.

Overgrown and rundown

If you're looking for peace and quiet this place has it… but not much else. Out in the middle of nowhere NY, you pull into the campground on a one-lane road (no mirrors or anything else so if someone is going the opposite direction as you, you're stuck). Nothing is paved or even covered in stones for a roadway. The only way you know the path is by the flattened overgrown grass. The grounds haven't been weed-whacked in what appears to be months. The grounds have plenty of amenities but none of which are usable. The playgrounds are for children only because if an adult was on anything it would fall apart. Plus I don't think any adult would want children on the playground equipment which is either built with decrepit and probably molding wood or taken back by the land. The pool is not filled, nor cleaned, no covered in the middle of June. The basketball court has no path to it. You'll have to hike through more tall grass and weeds to get there. On top of that, there are no nets on the rims and the whole basketball poles have been taken over by weeds and the court is cracked up. The pavilion is atrocious as well being held up by ply board. Most of the picnic tables are broken and disgusting. Our sewer pipe is broken, we are not able to screw our hose in. No problem for them. They don't think it's broken, just stick the hose in there and keep it in place with a rock.

This place needs so much TLC it's insane. They let it go so far it's going to take so much work to get it back to nice standards.

Used to be a great campground

Very high prices, they cater to large groups who occupy most of the campground. Try to contact via phone, no answer, no call backs. Shame used to camp here for almost 20 years when it was a privately owned campground.  Pool is old, mostly all the sites are in a field, not separated by trees or shrubs.

Spacious, chilled, clean, quiet

We arrived at our site later than the check in time, had a bit of trouble finding it but once wr did it was easy enough. Careful on the roads to the campsite, they're a bit on the bumpy side. Defo smaller roads than your usual ones. We have a minivan so we had to take our time on all the pot holes. Campsite was lovely though, and were the only people there! Great hot showers and chilled vibes. Very quiet and serene. They warn for black bears so obvs practice safe routines and leave no trace!

Good spot

Good spot to get away for a few days. Really like the lean-to, bare bones, but they have stoves inside, and are dry.

Clean and peaceful

Nice level sites easy to back in rv and set up

State Forest camping with large sites on the Delaware River

There are two camping areas at Worthington State Forest - one area is tent only and the other area, separated by 3 group sites, has sites suitable for RVs and campervans. There are no hookups at any of the sites. Alcohol is not allowed. Facilities include plentiful single use bathrooms and showers.

Site 10 is a spacious, private tent site. Sites 36 and 37 are close together but would be great waterfront campervan sites.  Many tent sites are wooded. Ticks and rattlesnakes are present in the area. Additionally, store food properly as this is bear country.

Activities include water sports on the Delaware River as well as hiking. We formed a loop hike by combining the Douglas Trail (1.7 miles), a stretch of the Appalachian Trail, and the Garvey Springs Trail (1.2 miles). This route will climb about 1200 feet past Laurel Falls to a backpacker Appalachian Trail campsite, and onward along Kittatinny Ridge to Sunfish Pond - a 44 acre glacial lake designated as a World Heritage Site - before descending back down.

Good place

Probally our go-to campground in NJ. The lake is great to kayak and fish, and the campsites are spacious and has bathrooms. Very clean and enjoyable

Broken Promises

Dont bother trying to camp here if you're not 55+ with plain hair, in a heterosexual relationship and no dogs. My friend and I were SOOOO disrespected when in the camp check in. We asked questions so that we were not out of regulation (in regards to where our dogs could swim) and were met with no helpful information and responses such as "we dont recommend it" with no explanation and plenty of attitude. We can confirm that this disrespect was based solely on our appearance because the older woman behind us got tons of information and tried to assist us in our journey. Peace out PA and all PA State Parks for life, if this is how you treat other humans.

I have never stayed at the Inn but have been camping on the river for 15 years

I love the property and the family that operates it. My son had his first camping trip there when he was ten days old. It is great family camp ground with amenities that are helpful to parents and new campers such as restrooms, showers, camp shop, canoe/kayak/tube rentals and designated drive in sites with fire ring and table. As well as sites with water/ electric hookup. Yet, it still manages to maintain a more remote and rustic feel by preserving the trees, stream and riverfront property in a mutual state without concrete pads or driveways. There is no commercial aspect that I find when at most “family” parks with pools, arcades and cabins. The sites are larger than most campgrounds and well spaced out. I have been there on busy holiday weekends where it was full but still peaceful and private with a great community of campers and on weekdays and off weekends when it felt as if I had the river to myself. I have never had a bad experience in at least 20 trips.

RV camping along the Delaware River

We’ve stayed in some of the RV campsites on these campgrounds. Bathrooms with flush toilets are conveniently located centrally every so often. Campsite #’s 48-62 share bathrooms that have showers and dishwashing sink, but nearly all are essentially in a big field, and in view of anyone that drives by. Campsites are equipped with picnic tables and fire rings with hinge-top grills. These items are set closer to the water, so driving up and parking your car at an optimal angle does provide some coverage if you have privacy concerns.

Ice and firewood conveniently located at forest office.

Booking sites 37-29 are much more ideal if you want to camp beneath the forest canopy, with personal preference being to site 33, 29 (full canopy, seclusion), and 36 & 37 are great if you are with a larger group wishing to book 2 sites side-by-side on the waterfront.

Very convenient trailheads (Douglas Springs, Garvey Springs) located just outside of camping area (exit campgrounds just past campsite 58), take dayhike up to Sunfish Pond.

magical tent-camping along the Delaware River

The tent camping spots here are all pretty wonderful (1-23). Fire pits and picnic tables are offered at each site. Full bathrooms are located behind campsite #15 (clean flushing bathrooms, with motion-sensed lighting, showers, dishwashing sink), but easily accessible from campsites nearby. Port-O-Johns serve the other further campsites (1-12). Our personal preference out of these tent-only sites are site #’s 19, 16, 15, 12, 11, 5, and 1. These, above the others, boast magnificent views of the Delaware River, have ample tree/shade (impressive grove of very tall, old Tulip trees grows here), or are more private than the rest. If camping with a larger group, and wishing to book multiple sites, #’s 13-15 would be great, or #’s 5-7. These sites are closer in proximity, in view of one another, and have an easy-access trail in between each. If bringing along your own kayak, canoe, or for fishing, most sites, if not all, have pathways down to the river.

Most other sites not mentioned have less privacy, visible from thru-road, or have less desirable views. All would work fine in a pinch though, as it is quite incredible to camp in this dense forest along the river.

Activities: canoeing/kayaking/rafting along the river (Edge of the Woods Outfitters in DWG offers fairly-priced 10, 6, or 4-mile river trip) or driving to the nearby Appalachian Trail head (or Dunfield Creek Trail for the waterfall views/dips in the falls) for a day-hike are a must.
Ice and firewood conveniently sold at the forest office.

Family friendly and clean

Family friendly campground with many activities incl. playground, games, karaoke, bingo nights etc. the tent sites are spacious each with own picnic table and fire pit. Toilet and shower buildings are clean. Very friendly owners on site selling firewood and all other necessities in the little onsite shop. Can recommend this nice little spot in the Poconos

Needs lots of tlc

First, as a Thousand Trails member, I didn't have to pay. So far, after visiting 6 rv parks, I do have to say, this one is on the bottom of my list of nice campgrounds.

First the good: there are lots of sites here and the grounds range from being near neighbors to more spread out in the valley. There are lots of trees and the roads are paved which makes it perfect to ride your bicycle. The playground is great for the kids. They have a nice pool.

Now the bad: it's a run down campground. It doesn't look like they have not done any maintenance to the place. The bathrooms look like standard park bathrooms, the general store barely has any items. The kids arcade and activity center has 4 arcade games and barely anything to do but the ball center. The main activity center is closed down. The building that used to hold the water park is abandoned and clutter everywhere. The lake and gazebo have been vandalized.

Also note, if you want peace and quiet, stay away from the tent area. Those who stay there are more of the NY crowd and are very festive.

All in all, we had a nice time. No problems at all.

Loving it so far

My husband and I are seasonal campers and we have been there every weekend since last fall. So far we have nothing to complain.

Don’t let first impressions lead you on. The staff is very friendly if you give them a chance. My husband loves to talk with Mr. Risdon. They are nice, decent people.

Our campsite has water and electric hook ups. We chose a nice spot and made it our weekend home.

The resort itself offers pool during winter, a store with some essentials (ask them about the bacon they sell, is great!), bathrooms with showers open year round, dump station. You know. The basics.

Tent sites also have water and electric hook ups.

Wonderfully wooded sites

We stayed here in 2014 with a seven friends and family.  We had four sites - 26, 27, 28, 29.  It was the first time in my life I was handed a bear waiver that needed my signature upon check in, but we weren't deterred.

Although, we did not encounter any wild animals during our four day stay, I did see bear scat in several locations.  We followed the rules, and kept all food and scented items in the car when not in use and utilized the very convenient wash sink behind the recycle/trash building.

The sites were beautiful and spacious, the others around us seemed a too close for comfort but these four sites were spaced out very well.

The fire pits were amazing, the temperatures dropped on our last night and the heat radiated off the concrete encasement wonderfully.

Too close together

Sites are very close together. A dead spruce tree on our site had been spray painted green to make it appear alive. The upgraded patio site was nice and came with furniture, a grill and a beautiful fire pit area. But they had rented the patio site next to us to first time tenters who knew nothing about camping etiquette, so that put a damper on things. They do offer multiple options (tents, camper, teepees cabins etc…) but the place was laid out poorly and overall felt unwelcoming. The bath houses were dirty and smelled gross. Close to local attractions.

Great State Campground

Great state campground near Woodstock,NY. Pull in sites for car camping. Clean bathroom facilities with showers and outdoor cleaning stations for dishes and stuff. Been here twice would go back if in the area.