Upper Delaware National Scenic and Recreation River, NEW YORK
Most Recent Upper Delaware National Scenic and Recreation River Camping Reviews
Could be better but its aiight

The campgrounds are nice. But that all. They have loads of events over the weekend but the weekend hasn't happened yet to check them out. Originally I thought it was the gloom of the weather that made this place seem pretty plain and run down. But now that its a beautiful day, the grounds are about the same. It just seems like it hasn't been kept up all that well. This place can be grand if they want it to be. Just needs some TLC

Trout town USA

Clean bathrooms and showers. People working there were more then helpful. Guided us to our site. Helped us set up. All and all a very pleasant stay.

Nice Campground

This campground is huge, lots of sites to choose from. There is a big lake you can fish from, kayak, bring your own boat and even swim from when it's warm out. There is lots to do when you go there. There are some sites right against the lake where you can fish right there. You can rent paddle boats, small fish boats and kayaks. It is a really nice campground and lots to do for the whole family.

Wonderful time

The park has some great trails. They have camping sites to meet everyone’s wants and needs.

Awesome park!

Nice camping spots, wonderful beach for day trips and beautiful walkkng trails!

Childhood memories and now adult memories

Camped here growing up. Visited again as an adult. Great memories. Quiet and relaxing. Great place to do nothing

Great for families!

This is a great place for families. A lot to do and organized events. The lake is beautiful. If you have an RV, just beware that some of the sites are rather small and tight. Well kept. Staff is very friendly. You can have a quiet relaxing time or keep busy with activities.

Pretty nice very helpful

I was directed to a site off the lake for tenting. We were secluded and it was nice. Bugs were bad, if you’re not a camper be prepared for weather and bugs. I was there a week and have to say they did a nice job. Wish the sites were a little bigger but I was able to seclude myself enough thanks to the store recommendations.

RV Mecca

We are camp newbies and I guess we didn’t do enough research because this place was a RVs and Cabin mecca. Our goal was to find a tent based camp site and then were eventually surrounded by RVs every where. There was one other tent customer. The facilities were awesome, staff great, River was perfect for fishing, and close to town. Last, don’t buy their wood - it didn’t burn and was a waste of $ and time.

Good

It’s got good access to Lake Minnewaska (driving), staff was nice and polite. But I thought the sites were on the smaller side and no fire is allowed.

Great secluded location

This campground had easy access to excellent hiking trails. Woodstock, NY was about 30 min away and we enjoyed exploring the area on our non-hiking day. Very dog friendly.

NJ is beautiful

Sussex county is beautiful. Stokes is such a peaceful campground! We stay in the cabins. It’s great to have the small kitchen when camping with the family. A must see campground.

We go to stokes every year!

The cabins by the lake are great! Very peaceful. Great hiking. Close to High Point. Dale’s market is great. Sunrise Mountain is a must. Close to Space Farms. Fishing is ok, changes year to year. Showers are nice. Nice place for families.

Great campground

Great campground for all types , many different areas to camp , zipline is a lot of fun and so if rafting

Great family fun!

This park is really nice for family fun! Absolutely beautiful waterpark for the kids! Along with playgrounds, an outdoor theater area, plenty of places to ride your bikes. I prefer woods and water, but for people with school age children, this place is awesome. We were in site 258, which is a pull through. No shade at all, but the view of Mohawnk mountain was fantastic.

Awesome Site 19

We stayed in site 19 great spot very discreet. Right on the water. Careful if you are staying in rain you will have washouts. Great hiking trails as well We hiked Mt. Tammany.

Traditional camp site

Drive in but ours had a drive in to a mini trail so it was a pain to load/unload. Camping right along the lake was nice , small trail to walk around river and trails to hike into the mt. Grill to be placed on fire ring

Good location

Our site was semi-private with some shade next to the creek. It was perfect falling asleep listening to the sound of the stream. At check-in we did receive the bear talk so plan accordly. As a seasoned camper, this didn’t bother us -- just be prepared for proper food storage. The sites were flat and well laid out. Unfortunately, the women’s bathroom was broken during our stay…No cell service, and it's about a 30 minute drive to town.

Pro tip: Camp here for easy access to Slide Mountain and request a creek site.

Lots of choice

There are several different camping areas within the park. Some areas are pet friendly while others are not. Some sites have hookups while others are primitive. There is an area for everyone! Be sure to check out the hiking trails and the beach!!

Not that great

Dirty, sites on top of each other. They definitely cater to people who bought into their campground.

Family and pet friendly year-around campground

We tried this campground a few times for short stays and ended up going seasonal last year and will do the same this year. It is a little off the beaten path but is great for families (plenty of activities for kids) and pets (our dog LOVES it there). They have a pool, fishing pond, hiking trails, mini golf, playground, large grassy areas for kids to play, and horseshoe pits. There is a store (stocked with grocery staples/snacks but also TONS of RV specific supplies/parts), laundry and showers (a new and improved bath house is currently being built). There are planned activities almost every weekend during the 'season' but they are open all year with some winter sites available. They have all sites available from tent right up to 50 amp full hook-ups. I can't wait for the new season to begin in April!

My favorite close to home spot

Certain sites allow pets. My favorite site does, plus I can launch my kayak right from there! The only drawback is no alcohol allowed, but most State Parks are like that I think. All photos below are taken from my site.

Family fun

Campground is based around kids, there’s a lot for them to do!

Very primitive, but enjoyed the seclusion

I would say that Steam Mill campground was much quieter and more secluded then the rest of the camping options in Stokes State Forest. They had a fairly nice and well maintained bathroom facility. Each of the camping spots were big and outfitted with picnic benches and fire rings for cooking. The biggest negative was that the waters spouts were near the entrance so if you are staying deeper into the campground, I would consider this. Of the camping options in Stokes State Forest, Lake Oqcuittunk and Steamill were each a bit closer to High Point which offers more hiking options which was nice.

RV and Cabin Rental Only...and a miniature horse!

It is important to note that there is only RV and cabin rentals offered at Pleasant Acre. The grounds are up on top of a mountain and is quite beautiful and quiet. This is a great place to get away and bring your family and dogs. They offer several planned activities for kids and they have nice facilities like a great swimming pool and ping pong. Important to not miss: the amazingly beautiful miniature horse that wonders around its huge pin located in the middle of the campground.

Loved, but be ok with a little seclusion

This was one of my favorite campgrounds in this area if you don’t mind a little seclusion. To get to each campsite, you have to drive up a big hill that circles around the entire grounds (and eventually the lake). The campsites peel off as you drive around. Each site is fairly secluded from the next so it offers lots of privacy. If you want to be closer to other people. there are options to camp closer to the lake. There is also a large covered patio down near the lake.The campground is big and quiet which I liked. There is a great lookout point that you can walk to and they also have a memorial that is worth checking out if you stay here.

Nice camping, but disappointing lake

The caping set up was nice and I enjoyed the proximity to available hikes in the area. The ‘lake’ however, was kind of a disappointment. It was much smaller then I expected and a rather underwhelming. Of the camping options in Stokes State Forest, Lake Oqcuittunk and Steamill were each a bit closer to High Point which offers more hiking options. Each campsite was set up with a picnic table and a fire ring. One big positive was the covered picnic area which was a nice place to bring food and eat and hang out during the day to get out of the sun.

Away from main road, quiet and secluded

I really enjoyed camping at Shotwell. To get there, you have to drive about 2 miles down a road away from the welcome center. This is nice because it is quiet from traffic from cars. Each campsite is fairly big and far enough away from each other so you feel like you have your own space. Some of the sites had a platform to set up your tent on which is nice, especially if you are going after it recently rained. Our site had a picnic table and fire ring. There was a communal bathroom which was fairly well maintained and a large dumpster near the front of the site to drop off your trash. They did have a cabin-like option but I did not stay in it and do not know much about renting those.

Amazing! Loved!

WOW! What a place to camp! Swartswood State Park is a very large complex that is extremely well maintained with nice facilities. The campsites are slightly separated from the lake (maybe 8 min walk to lake) but that also means you aren’t bothered by day guests. The lake is beautiful! Great for swimming and fishing. There are several trail hikes that you can do from the campsite. The longest is 3 miles but you can connect between each trail to make a longer hike. There are picnic spots right on the lake if you want to spend the afternoon at the lake. They also have a concession stand that serves hot food down by the lake. They have a water fill station near the campsites that is shared between all the campers.