Chateaugay, NEW YORK

Most Recent Chateaugay Camping Reviews
Nice but not the nicest NY State Park

This is a HUGE state park campground with 355 sites (although a number of them were being restored when we were there). Most of the sites are on the lake; some have more of a direct view while others have a filtered view through the trees. The sites are very close together and some have trees to provide privacy, but many do not. We were fortunate to have an empty site on either side of us, otherwise it would have felt very crowded. Site 27 did not have an obvious “driveway” and it looks like the last rainfall caused the person in this site to get stuck in the mud as tire tracks remained. The sites are also littered with pinecones and tree roots, so you must be cautious not to trip on them. The bathrooms are clean but small and don’t have air dryers, hooks, or garbage receptacles. The showers had been shut down for the season, but we received a phone call in advance letting us know of this and the alternative available showers in a nearby park. There is one garbage/recycling area in the park. There is a paved roadway that goes all the way around Fish Creek Pond and Square Pond, making it good for bicycling or walking. Nice amphitheater. Also saw basketball and volleyball nets plus a very small swing set

Closest campground to Ausable Chasm

We travel in a 17-foot camper van, but no one ever believes that we are no bigger than a standard cargo van and can easily fit in a regular size parking space. Upon arrival at Ausable Chasm, we were told we had to take a site with water and electric since we had a camper van. These sites were $13 more per night and we really did not need the hookups. We were finally able to convince the staff that we could take a standard tent site, which was more than big enough.

The road through the campground is dirt and rutted but the speed limit is 5 mph, so it wasn’t that bad, but it would be a mess if it was raining.

Bathrooms and shower rooms are individual rooms, but the doors are not labeled so it’s a game of “what’s behind door number 1?”  There was no light in the shower room that I looked at so a night shower would be out of the question. The bathrooms were clean and had soap, paper towels, a garbage receptacle, and a mirror in each.

Lots of ant hills throughout the campground so be cautious where you set up a tent. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring. Large and nice-looking playground, pool, volleyball net, disc golf and mountain biking/hiking trails. It also looked like there were cross country ski trails but not sure if the campground or cabins would be open in the winter.

Biggest advantage is that Ausable Chasm(a separate business) is directly across the street from the campground and it is very close to the ferry that will take you to Burlington, VT, our next destination.

Glorious sunsets and an even more beautiful morning view!

50 sites, full hookup ($40), water& electric ($35) and tent ($??). Has the feel of an RV park with three rows of sites plus some more (I think the tent sites) closer to the road. Not much separation between sites. The lucky ones get beachfront sites with unobstructed views; we were in the second row. The beach was closed for the season when we were there; the campground is open May- September and an on-site caretaker is there the entire five months. Gorgeous sunsets. Coin-operated showers($1 for approximately 15 minutes)– did not use so cannot say how they were. Playground. Clean restroom but the women's only had one operable stall. Although there was a hot water spigot, I was not able to coax any hot(or even warm) water out of it. No defined quiet hours but it was very quiet by 8:30 pm.

Nice place but the amenities list needs revised

Nice state campground. The amenities list is incorrect. There are no hookups, electric or water. There is wood for sale when the office is open, a dump station and it has showers. The showers were free however we froze. The bath house was unheated and the showers were lukewarm at best.

Nice Park On Lake Chaplain

Very nice campground, nice staff, the sites are spacious, the grounds and facilities are clean. They have a par 3 golf course and boat docks on site. FHU, at&t worked but not well. Would definitely stay here again.

Not my favorite.

This campground was mediocre in my opinion. It was right off the highway and there was a lot of road noise. Also, the campground is literally in the middle of a neighborhood, which wasn’t my favorite environment. The campground did have free showers and decent bathrooms. Considering the scarcity of good campgrounds in the area, this was an okey choice.

Amazing views!

This campground was hard to beat! All the spots are on the water with great views of the lake! Full bathrooms and showers available! 👍🏼

Amazing views of lake Champlain!

We stayed at a leanto, which have the better views of the lake! These sites are the same price, so it is worth it. The campground has a trail to the shore line, which is nice! There are showers and full bathrooms as well.

The best beach sites

I just love the culture and sites at this place

Perfect spot in Adirondacks

Stayed here in our RV while visiting Lake Placid- awesome camping if you’re into hiking. The bathrooms were clean and staff very friendly.

Ultimate family spot

This place is my wife’s favorite place to go camping. She’s been going every summer since she was a baby and now we send our kids with our parents on their yearly trip if we can’t make it. Every site is on the water which is perfect for canoeing, kayaking, boating, etc. The atmosphere is unmatched for any site I’ve ever been to.

Great Views!

Waterfront camping available. Sites suitable for tents and for RVs

Wonderful Experience

Multiple different types of sites to accommodate all forms of camping. Family-friendly

Love the remoteness and boat-only access that most of the sites have.

Only a few sites have cover available in the form of lean-tos.

Very good spot...

Nice camping spot with showers and toilets that are fairly clean. Employees are nice and also a trail for Scarface starting at the camp. Also some surprising visitors:)

wonderful but a little pricey

This campground is lovely! The tent sites are spacious and feel somewhat private considering how large the campground is. The bathrooms are well maintained and kept clean. The showers don’t run out of hot water, which is an issue common to many other campgrounds I’ve stayed at. The staff are responsive and accommodating. There is a small restaurant on-site in the lodge and while their menu is simple they take care to accommodate guests. I have a severe food allergy and they made sure my food was made safely. The only downsides I’d give are the price and the size of the campground - just because it’s so large it does feel a little less private than staying at one of the smaller family owned places around. It’s still wonderful though and I would book again without hesitation.

Great campground

Amazing views and great hospitality

Golf Cart Central

Showers ✅ Tent/Van/RV ✅ Pool ✅ Mini convenient store ✅ Access to the lake ✅

There are a number of people that look to be living on site in their RVS with deck platforms. Quite a few people speed around on their golf carts and make laps around the one or two nighter camper area. It is right up against the road with a quick walk to the boat dock and put in for paddle boards.

It was definitely “MEH” for camping but it did the trick for a good night of sleep and a hot shower.

Excellent Place

I’ve been to this place about 6 times, I usually go with friends that have been going for upwards of 30 years. It’s always a great time, cabins are clean, neat & very close to the water. Everything is clean, no litter on grounds or in water. Boat access is very easy, docks can be a bit shakey lol. Just gotta get your sea legs ready. Prices are extremely reasonable. 14th Star Brewery is about 20 minutes away in St Albens. The beer is outstanding. There are also restaurants, a grocery store etc to get pretty much whatever you need. There is also a little general store on the grounds, for ice, cigs, suds, lures, snacks etc. I highly recommend this place to anyone.

Great for the price.

Amazing views and great hospitality.

Something For All Camping Styles

The West side of the campground is reserved for primitive tent campers with a few choice sites right on the water. These sites generally have tent platforms which is a good thing. On my recent trip there the ground was saturated and boggy. Not sure if that is normal or was just due to wet weather this spring. These platform sites are all hike-in, with a few of them located a good distance from the camp road. Each of these sites has its own outhouse. The one on my site was cleaned once or twice over the course of five days. There are other sites on the west side, not located on the water, but closer to your vehicle so you don't have to carry gear in and out. These sites are also close to water spigots. On the more developed side of the campground things are much as you would expect at a NYS campground. The sites are not especially private, but they come in all sizes. There is a beach with canoe rentals and swimming, an amphitheater, showers, a recycling center and a dump station. Wood and ice are also offered for sale. I'll take the quiet privacy of the west side, but there is plenty on offer for all different camping styles at Meacham Lake.

100 Acre: Quiet & Peaceful

We reserved a full hook up 50a pull through for 3 nights as we toured the northeast. Check in was a little tricky, as we missed the “REGISTRATION” sign at the Lodge and had to drive around again. We were directed to our site across the street in the 100 Acre Wood and set up rather easily. Water pressure was good, road noise was minimal, sites are spaced apart well, enough mature tree growth for shade and hammock! Used the pool at the resort once (a little chilly), and purchased some beer in the camp store. Service was always polite and helpful. Would definitely stay here again!!!

Beautiful large park

We stayed for a weekend and were lucky enough to get a premium site on the water. We stated in site 206 which was very large and had a private little beach area.  There are two totally different areas to camp so I would look closely at the campground maps. Many of the sites deeper in the woods looked damp and buggy to me but we have had a very cool wet spring. The park is kept up beautifully, the bathrooms were very clean and the staff very friendly. Large beach and playground. The cabins looked very nice also although we only saw them from the outside.  Be sure to visit the nearby Eisenhower Locks and see the ships go through. Really fascinating! I have read that Verizon has good service there but my AT&T service was not good and kept bouncing  off Canadian towers so be careful!

Family with kids get away location

This campground has the best staff you can find in northern New York. The whole time they are open they have activities planned for the kids all summer long. The staff is always smiling and welcoming you into the campground. Quiet and comfortable place to stay. If your kids like to read. There is place they can find a book and read a book.

Seasonal

Been seasonal campers for awhile. Great place to camp if you want to have fun and meet great people.  The owners are amazing as nd great with kids. Highly recommend this campground.

Great family campground!

My mom and dad camped here and I visited as an adult.  Now I am carrying on the tradition with my own kids.  Been camping here for several years.  If your looking for a fun and friendly place to relax then Pine Ridge Park Campsite is the place to be.

Very relaxing..

This Campground is very relaxing, the folks here are friendly the staff is great too.

Pine Ridge Park Campgrounds is the best place to go.

The camp grounds is the best family owned place to camp. They do alot with the children. They celebrate all the holidays. They also, want the campers option on ideas to improve the camp grounds. They listen to the campers ideas and do their best to make it happen. They keep the camp grounds clean and safe.

Amazing! So happy we picked Pine ridge:)

My family started camping at Pine ridge in 2018 as seasonal campers because we had heard all the great reviews. So if anyone has been thinking about it stop thinking and just do it! It's an amazing family oriented campground. So glad we made the right choice :)