The best WALK IN camping near
Penn Place , NEW JERSEY

Most Recent Penn Place Camping Reviews
Expensive for the off season

We stayed here in the off season while there was snow on the ground. Arrived late (8pm) and only stayed the night. We pulled through, hooked up, slept and left early the next am. For what we utilized this place for it was over the top expensive at $72/night. Check in was easy and self-directed. We are not KOA members. Looked as though there were many monthly and/or seasonal renters here. We didn’t explore any facilities to comment. During the season when the amenities could be used I understand having to spend that kind of money for a site and obviously would’ve been more worth it had we arrived early. We called a few other places in the area but nothing was as convenient nor open with an availability so we just stopped here. It was quiet, couldn’t hear any cars from the highway and the other guests were all respectful. Just ok…

Excellent recreation, mediocre camping facilities, but we will be back!

Husband and I spent the weekend at Bass River SP with the Pop-up camper. Stayed in spot#35, on the South Side Campground. We have never camped here before, but wanted to hike the Batona trail nearby. Reviews I’d read said the North Shore Campground was densely packed- the online map when booking showed that, so we picked South Shore spot #35 because it was camper friendly and seemed furthest away from other people. When we arrived that proved to be true, and we would definitely pick that spot again. The Rangers drove through several times before dark, but after dark there was little to no State Park management presence. Fine for us, but if I’d been next to the partiers camped a ways over, I would have been annoyed because quiet times were not enforced. The bathrooms were not close to our spot, which was fine for us. Toilets were not too bad, and were cleaned regularly. An even cleaner private bathroom is attached to the park office- a drive or bike distance- open after 8am, if you fancy your privacy. The showers were not nice- think cramped, stained, buggy stalls. I think the park really should replace the bathroom/showers with whole new buildings. You can hear the Garden State Parkway from the campsites, if that’s a deal breaker for you.(Wasn’t for us, plus the partiers a ways over were much louder than the distant road noise.) There is lots of recreating to be had here. The lovely beach was closed when we were there, but looked like it would be fun. We had a great 5 mile hike on the Batona Trail, and put the canoe in the lake. Lake was beautiful-very clear and calm. The trail was well blazed and not crowded. Passed maybe 1 other person per mile. This would be a great campground for bicyclers too. We will come back for the recreation, but not for the facilities. And if it was booked up, this would be a pretty crowded campground. Recommend spot #35 for privacy, or spot #21 looked good as a backup option, for campers. Tenters could book #37. Highly recommend South Shore campground for distance between sites. You can take dogs if you pre register and bring paperwork.

Family camp out

This is a cool little area with trails and a lake. We walked and explored, kayaked, and sang by the fire. The camp sites have plenty of room for the kids to run around and set up there own areas. Great area for tent camping.

Nice camp sites in the pines

They have 300 camp sites spaced out nicely. All the hook ups you need. Many activities. Live music in the summer. Very nice wading river next to the camp grounds. You can tube down the river from one end of camp to the other.

Nice bike ride to the beach

Did a weekend bikepacking trip from New Brunswick to Allaire. Big sites that you can hear the highway from. A really nice bike ride to Ocean Grove and other beach towns. There are outlets in the bathroom and someone put a fullass drip coffee machine in one of the sinks. I did not refuse a fresh cup of brew.

Weekend getaway

Nice for a quiet weekend.

We are wintering here and it seems to be a great place so far. Most of the neighbors that have been here years are friendly as well as the staff that I have met so far. Owners live on site and didn't seem to mind me bothering them on a Sunday to ask about the propane procedures. I am a little concerned about moving to the site they want me to move to in the Spring the corners around the campground seem tight with trees.

Great location

Explore cape may and the boardwalk while in the area. Some sites are very tough and have some trees that occasionally make it so only a dead perfect backing could get you in.

Rustic