The best WALK IN camping near
Wilmington Island , GEORGIA

Most Recent Wilmington Island Camping Reviews
Lighthouse and beach

Great hidden gem away from the busy beaches

Beautiful scenery, lovely forested campground

Nice pine forested campground in gorgeous state park. Excellent trails for walking through spectacular marshes, pine/palm/oak forests. Near Savannah but on Skidaway Island you have very nice remote, scenic feel. Campsites all nice. We stayed in January 2021 and are returning again in February 2021! Love it.

breezy bike ride to Savannah

Stayed for a night on my drive from New Jersey to Florida. Easy access, great facilities, and a nice bike ride to Savannah (bridge is a bit dicey, but drivers gave good clearance).

Near but not too near

We really enjoyed our stay at River’s End Campground. Staying in Tybee was pleasant. Being the off-season was helpful. My children and I loved playing and learning outside. We also loved riding our bikes around the island and to the beach.

A staff member tipped us off to the Turtle Pond which was the most memoir experience! We were close to Tybee without feeling like we were in the thick of it.

We would definitely stay there again in the off season like we did this November.

Great Park

We stayed over Christmas and had a great time. Beautiful facility. There was lots to do and they kept us well informed of activities. Would definitely stay here again!

Beautiful and Quiet

Fort McAllister has a little bit of everything. You get the history, 4 miles of hiking trails, the river, and camping! The campground is quiet and the campsites are nicely spaced. Water and electric is available as well as restrooms and showers. You can purchase firewood on site for your campfires. There’s pull through sites for trailers/RV’s as well as tent only sites. You can rent kayaks at the boat dock if you’d like. I had plenty of cell reception (Verizon) and the staff in the office were very nice. Site 16 was huge with water and electric. Plenty of trees for hammocks which I love :) The trail to the lookout tower was closed when i visited in Dec 2020 but it was still a nice experience and that just means I have to come back and visit again!

Lots to do onsite and close to downtown Savannah

We wanted to stay at Creekfire for a couple reasons: (1) wanted somewhere we haven't been before but not too far from home and (2) I wanted to visit downtown Savannah…Creekfire met both those. It was an easy 4.5 hour drive, right off the highway and about 15 minutes from diwntown Savannah. The RV resort has lots of activities: heated pool, hot tub, lazy river (closed while we were there due to the cold), pool tables, ladder ball, ping pong table, outdoor chess, fishing (lake front sites are definitely our favorites), golf cart rental, picnic table and firepit at site and a shuttle to downtown Savannah on certain days. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Only a couple cons, but for us not worth taking a star away: very few trees (I would imagine in summer the heat and bugs would not make for ideal camping), restaurant is only opened Wednesday-Saturday (we were there Saturday to Wednesday). We will most definitely be back with friends that will be staying in their cabins!

Nice Time

Great stop at skidaway. They accommodate late arrivals. Beautiful campgrounds. Big Ferry Trail is great at dusk/sunset. Hot showers.

Lush and charming

The Spanish Moss and dreamy trails make this spot spectacular. We were assigned site 87, which was a little too close to bathrooms but did have all the amenities, plus seemed to be a brunch spot for a family of deer (saw them twice). Sites are somewhat private, even in winter. Hot shower. Would definitely return.

Tight squeeze

The campsite is very clean, and has really friendly employees. Why I gave it three stars: The spots are stacked on top of each other, and it’s all gravel. We had to walk pretty far to get to a grassy spot so my dog could pee. There’s a lot of construction going on around the park and people let their rigs run and it sounds like a semi truck rest area. I wouldn’t stay here again. I’ve never felt more sardined before.