The best GROUP camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Kingtown Camping Reviews
Leave no trace

I really enjoy backpacking Bankhead National Forest. We camped about 1 mile in at an existing fire ring. Beautiful water color!! Cool trees and rock formations.

Horse Camp with cell Service

This is off the beaten path a bit, but it has its perks. Here you can find potable water from the spickets all year long. It is essentially a large field with some very large loblolly pines. The nights sky is wonderful. Also, from here you can link together 22 miles worth of trail. We rode our bikes, the trails are more geared for the equestrian rider, but was friendly enough for bikes. We enjoyed staying here after being out of cell service for a few days at brushy lake, so we were able to catch up and coordinate our next destination.  As far as campground amenties outside of whats already been covered there are a had full of picnic tables and a pit toilet.

Cost is $5 a night or $3 for day use. 2 bars of Verizon 4G LTE.

$5 Waterfront Camping

Brushy Lake is a lovely spot in the beautiful Bankhead National Forest. The 33 acre lake is perfect for canoeing or kayaking. The fishing is excellent. There is a nice trail that goes from the campground along the lake that is paved. If pavements not your thing you can adventure a little farther off the beating path and traverse below the beautiful bluff trail. We visited in late January and experienced the beautiful songs of the birds. They were large and loud. That made not having cell service all the better. The water spickets are not operational at brushy lake during the winter. But, just a short 3.5 miles down the dirt road water can be obtained from the Owl Creek Horse Camp area. The horse camp also has 2 bars of Verizon 4G if you need to call out to check in, but still want to stay by the lake. Bike riding down the dirt roads was also an activity that we enjoyed while staying at Brushy Lake. Specifically we stay at site four which worked great for launching the canoe. Also, site 4 was prime because outside of the pad for the camper there was a great tent pad setup for our friends who visited during the weekend. Outside of all that, there were pit toilets, nice large metal picnic tables, metal fire rings and lantern post at each site.

Great family place to camp

Spent 3 nights here in December, 9-12th. Only half the camp sights were open, loop 1 was closed, but that's normal for the season. There's plenty to do here, trails to hike, sights to see. Good restaurant, an old mill, waterfalls, and playgrounds for the kids. Has 50, 30, and 20 amp electric hookups and water at all sights, plus fire ring and table. Dump station in loop 2. Clean restrooms and showers are available. Sites are all paved and level, decent separation. Nice rolling hills all around, and lots of wildlife.

Decent spot on the lake

Camped here on Christmas Day 2020. It was very quiet and a little windy. I was the only camper but it’s on a disc golf course so I saw a couple of those guys. I went down to the parking lot so I could sleep in my car and have a fire by the water. It was great and quiet except there are parking lot lights which I didn’t see until they turned on. There are picnic tables, trash cans, and portable toilets. All in all a nice spot. I had Verizon and I think I had two bars of service. There’s also a spot a little east off an unmarked dirt road which was ok and had a fire pit. I checked it out but there was just too much litter and a half eaten deer carcass which I wasn’t vibing with.

Great Park and Campground!

We visited this park in late June. The campground and park was immaculate! Sites were level and easy to back in. Bathrooms and showers were wonderful.  The staff was super friendly, and the area was wonderful! Make sure to go visit the Amish. We had a great outdoor class to learn about snakes, hiked the trails, and enjoyed the falls. We look forward to going back to this gem again!

Couldn’t connect to WiFi.

It is said that their is WiFi, and it does appear as an option, but it only shows “unable to connect to Joe Wheeler”.

Awesome park

Awesome spacious lots with lots of outdoor activities.

Not a bad place to go for the weekend!

This campground is a nice quiet campground. They have about 90 spots for you to camp which includes primitive spots. The campground is very shaded with tall pine trees, for most of the day depending on what site you are on. Most sites have very nice views of the water also. Most sites a spacious and have plenty of room behind them. There’s several RV sites right on the water and all tent sites are on the water. The tent sites didn’t look to level to me but there were some places that I saw that wasn’t bad. All the approved sites had water and electric hook ups, concrete picnic tables that were on a slab so that didn’t move. One downside was no grills or fire rings at the sites. However previous campers had makeshift rings out of rocks that were at several sites and you can make your own so fires are permitted. They did have a couple of bathhouses which had only one shower for each gender. They did not have doors going into them. Water was hot but no pressure. There was a huge open grass area were all the kids would gather and play. To use the lake or go to the beach area that was down the road you had to purchase a BCDA permit for ages 16-65. $3 a day or $10 for 3 day for each individual. There is a play ground at the entrance that has a pavilion, and a basketball court. There’s a boat ramp at the entrance as well. The dump station and garbage dumpsters are at least a 1/4 mile from any of the sites. There is no store to purchase things but there is a Dollar General about a mile from the campground if you need something. This campground is a first come first serve and do not take reservations, but if you call the day of you can pay over the phone to ensure you have a spot. The attendant was very friendly and helpful. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back.

Lakefront

We stayed in spot 12. Beautiful lakefront location! Electric/water hookup only. Workers were wonderful and place all together is clean and well maintained. I drive through and to be honest there not a bad spot in this KOA! We will visit again.