the dyrt
Berry, ALABAMA
Most Recent Berry Camping Reviews
One of my favorite places to camp

Warning: this place has no cell service, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. We don't seem to mind it. I do recommend downloading an offline version the area in Google Maps, just in case.

This is a really good place for weekend camping! Me and my family love to go camping here. The lake is great for canoeing and fishing. There is a primitive restroom in the camping area and a restroom with a shower and running water in the day area. There is a nice paved trail that goes from the campgrounds halfway around the lake to the dam.

It only cost $5 a night to camp here and the park is on the honor system.

This is a video I made on my last camping trip: https://youtu.be/MK391ssfNe8

Pristine and enjoyable

Stayed one night this week in my 16 ft camper. Campsites spread out so you have shaded privacy near magnificent Smith Lake. Downside is they close December to March. Large showers in very clean bathrooms. Very nice camp staff.

Great campground!

The park manager and workers are so nice and accommodating! I’ve stayed in the cabins and the primitive sites and both had wonderful views of the lake. The hiking trail that loops around the water is beautiful. My dog loves it too! It’s such a great place to go relax, have fun, grill out, and make memories.

Family friendly

This campground is nice, small but nice Bathrooms are clean kept, camp sites are shaded. The pool is big but wasn’t open when we were there. It has a cave on site with a guided tour.

Great Campground

My husband and I have traveled twice to this campground and we always look forward to going. The lake is beautiful and the facilities are good too. Great workers as well!!

Adequate

We were stopping in Cullman County to be with family. Since we were driving through with our RV, we stayed at Smith Lake for the evening. It was ok. The pool was nice. The lake is always nice, but the camping area itself feels like more of a trailer park than RV Park. It looked like the majority of the campers there were for the long haul.

This place is awesome! Lots to do and yummy ice cream.

Beautiful historic buildings and a very cold spring fed creek. Great for kids bikes and swimming in the creek. Bathhouses need attention but overall very nice camping place.

Quite Escape

This campground was unique as each site was set into the hills. We had lots of privacy and peaceful quite. They had two play areas with balls and other toys for the kids. It was very clean and friendly.

Beautiful location

Beautiful location but the bathrooms were dirty. It seems we went during a semi busy time. The have lots of spots and most are in the shade. There is a creek to splash in and lots of history to enjoy. There is a nice playground for the kids. Bring lots of bug spray.

Peaceful retreat

Easy water access

Right on the lake. No traffic to fight very peaceful

Family friendly

Park has cabins on site, places for rvs, and also areas for tents. There is a beach area and a boat launch. They have pavilions with grills and electrical outlets

Our favorite local campground

Private and secluded! All spots r shady. Great level campsites..all campsites r gated. Nice swimming area. Great hiking and waterfalls on the most beautiful lake in the US!

Camping for all!

This camp site has camping from primitive all the way to cabins. Bring your RV or camper and enjoy the views. Situated on a beautiful mountain side just minute from university of alabama. Camp beside a churning creek and listen to nature. Historical museum included with very reasonable camping fee or just a visitor charge. Very nice homestyle restaurant and creamery in site. Craft cabins to keep the kids entertained and plenty of trails for hiking. Visit the original forge site or go watch the blacksmith school and learn some tricks.

Great to be by the water!

Great location by the water. This extremely crowded on holidays and the bathrooms are a bit of a walk from the tent camping, but if you are up for the walk it’s not terrible. They have a small store which is nice as well and there is a gas station up the road.

Brushy Lake Camping with Family

Very family friendly. Has a fire pit and picnic table at each campground. There is a 2 stall bathroom in the middle of the campsite and another set of bathrooms with a shower a short walk away. Beautiful hiking, complete with a waterfall witching just a few minutes walk. Bring your canoe and fishing pole too! We go every year and cannot wait to go back.

AWESOME!

This is one of my favorite campgrounds in Alabama. So much for so many to enjoy. In the fall they have a Halloween decoration contest between campers and then after that comes the Christmas. There is many trails to enjoy. My favorite spot is the bubbling springs, no matter how hot the summer sun is the water is always ice cold and bubbling! They have an Ice cream/candy store on site, a church is located on the campground. There is a restaurant in the park. The third weekend of every month they have the trade days which is a huge sale of trades and other goodies. So many hidden treasures in this park! Be sure not to miss!

Nice Park

This is a really nice family park. RV spaces are a great size. Really nice swim area on Smith Lake. Some of the cleanest and clearest water around. Plenty of biking and hiking opportunities. Just a short drive to Natural Bridge park, restaurants, groceries and more.

unique spot

Expensive fees, but worth a visit. They protect the canyon habitat. Primitive sites, but bathroom access near the canyon entrance. Beautiful campsite at sleeping water. Great for a larger group.

Surprisingly awesome park! Loved the tent sites, the cave tour, and hiking!

This was a small campground, and while initially unimpressive, we had a really great time here and there was surprisingly a lot to do and keep you busy.

When we first drove in to the "regular" part of the campground, I found it unappealing as it seemed more like a parking lot with a bunch of RV sites, but we were able to stay in the primitive camping "loop" and had SO much space and woods to run in, hills to climb, and space to explore. It was absolutely perfect for kids. There are only a few of these sites and while you can see them from each other, there is so much space between them that it feels more private. The sites were bordered by woods and hills which gave the kids lots to explore.

The pool was closed when we were there in April, but I believe they said it was closed indefinitely.

The cave tour are a real highlight of the park. The cave is fascinating and fun to tour too - lots of tight spaces and interesting formations. There is a bit of climbing (stairs) so if that's not your thing, you may want to think twice. We saw lots of super cute tiny bats but none of them ever bothered us.

There is also a cute playground for the little ones and a great hiking trail that was absolutely gorgeous.

Overall a surprisingly awesome park!

Busy on events but quiet the rest of the time.

This campground is near to home so it's our most frequented camping spot. There is a nice little Creek that flows through for fishing. My family has caught small bass and bream and once a year in April they stock it with trout and hold a trout tournament. There is a natural spring called bubbling springs that all the kids love splashing in. It feeds right into the creek and often you find people swimming in the creek there. The creek snakes through park with walking trails alongside it so the walks are nice there. They have many trails that people ride bikes on as well. There is a museum to look at the historical aspects of the park. The old iron works still stands. All of the cabins are old site cabins that were brought in and you can rent those. My family from out of state have rented at least once a year for the last decade. If you look at the website for the park they list activities year round. All kinds of things for old and young alike. Tannehill will always hold a a special place due to the memories made with our family there!

Bankhead Forest

White sand aroundswimming area. Pavilion is rentable for gatherings. Very nice place. Usually crowded

Nice

Swimming area has shaded picnic areas but is down a steep hill a good way from your car. Also small pebbles in swim area are very painful. It's a nice place but definitely not so friendly on your feet.

Love

It mainly has single units some you can see the water from but can't so easily access the water from. Pavilions for rent are $35 and very well worth it for a family gathering. It is a wonderful and peaceful place just wish it was more waterfront camping/picnicking.

Great Campground

love going to Brushy Lake to camp only costs $5.00 a day and fishing is good I was there 2 weeks ago and the campground looked great going back soon. No phone service though.

So Good that it Suprises you.

I had another wonderful stay at Tannehill State Park but this time with family. This place is close enough to the interstate that it is very convenient yet so very secluded and peacful. The cabins are basic but efficent and hold historical values. Several activities such as the Museum, Frontier Farm and Minature ridable train will keep you engaged but the best is the trail system. The Mountain Bike trails are a blast and well maintained. Definately worth the trip for that alone as my previous trips have been for. I highly recomend this place regardless of your style of camping.

Easy hike with beautiful water

The hike in is not difficult. You do have to cross a stream, which was not as difficult for my 6’2 husband as it was for me at 5’2. The water was clear. The waterfall was beautiful and we found a quiet spot up the creek to camp.

PERFECTION

Have camped here twice now and absolutely love it. The lake is great and the area around it is great to explore.

More of a parking lot.

This campground was noisy.

The dump station had problems, the water was out for almost 24 hours in the camp ground.

Spaces were small, most had no trees, reminded me of a parking lot.

A great hiking trail.