Yurts
Hike In
First Landing State Park is located in Virginia
52 Reviews of First Landing State Park
The peaceful side of Virginia Beach

We used to be VA Beach Oceanfront partners, but now with three small kids that side of the city has become really hard for us. We tried first landing this year with the camper and LOVED it. We were booked for four night but were evacuated today because of the hurricane, spent three nights total and we already plan on booking at least a week next year. The beach is CALM and uncrowded. Tons of wildlife, lots of hiking opportunities, but when you decide you want to have someone else cook you a meal, the strip is a 10 min drive and many places offer free valet parking if you dine there.

There is laundry on site, lots of space between sites (massive tent sites, RV sites are all separated by trees and shrubbery) and a store with ample supplies. Bring newspaper for campfires, they sell wood but no newspapers.

Labor Day Weekend🏕

We had a really nice time!! Our site was small for five people and two dogs (site 87) but it worked just fine! EXCEPT for the number of mosquitoes this time of year. Omg I’ve been bit SO many times. Take your itch cream if going in the swamp season of August lol.

Only complaint: I’ve never camped on a holiday weekend before, and while I did anticipate a lot of people and families utilizing the facilities, I wish the staff had staffed accordingly. All three times I went to the restroom in the bathhouse, my stall had no toilet paper on either spool. The showers were filthy with blobs of hair and baby wipes and foul smells, and the garage cans were overflowing with rancid trashbags. The recycling bin was full of garbage, due to the dumpster being full. People were constantly driving the wrong way on one-way streets, not staying on the paths. Ideally there should have been more patrolling and more mindfulness towards the influx of waste/need for cleanings and restocking of common areas. But I get it; it was BUSY. P.S. the bathhouse venting are brutal - get a site away from those! While it’s convenient, when there are that many people, it’s rough.

I was so happy to see so many people utilizing our state parks! So many families (LARGE groups, too) were definitely taking advantage of the swimming and large sites. So wonderful to see.

We also took the short drive into VA Beach and walked the boardwalk. We hopped on at the Neptune Statue and walked a few blocks, heard some live music, got ice cream.

FL is a lovely state park and has a cool location. We will definitely be back, just not on such a busy weekend and during such mosquito-awful weather ☀️

Girls trip!

No better park for a girl’s trip! We had SO MUCH room to ourselves and so much privacy. The private boardwalk to the beach and the beach itself was so quiet and isolated. Perfect for families, groups, or solo hikers alone. One of my girlfriends is a runner and she found the campground very relaxing to run a few miles through. Always a great time at FL!

Beautiful but noisy

The tent sites at this campground were gorgeous. Deep and private-feeling and well shaded. But so close to the road. I saw the map that clearly indicates Shore Drive running alongside the campground and I thought, “It can’t be that close!” But it is. Four lanes of 55mph traffic running within 25 yards of all the tent sites on the south side of the campground. We had such a fun time, despite the noise and lack of sleep, that we will almost certainly go back, but will definitely book one of the interior loop sites or maybe even one of the 20’ camper sites instead. Additional points: multiple daily nature programs for all ages in summer, really helpful staff, but the “camp store” doesn’t sell camp supplies or groceries except ice and firewood.

BACK TO NATURE

I stayed in one of their cottages during October. The cottage is furnished, has a queen size bed and 2 sets of bunk beds; nice living room/dining room combo, full kitchen with dishes, pots, etc.; TV; fireplace; outside deck with grill; and screen porch. There is also a firepit for enjoying the relaxing fire and evening quiet. You have to bring your own firewood. There is a grocery store about 6 minutes away for convenience. Trails, access to the Chesapeake Bay, Spanish moss. manned Visitor Center, privacy and security.

1st Landing has

Family friendly

Nice facility- but I have seen better “beach” access

Beautiful campground with beach access .

This is an excellent campground with large tent sites that you feel almost as if your the only one camping even when the campground is full. There are multiple points of entry to a beautiful well cared for beach. The park offers a trolley ride for 4.50 a day to the main beach front in Virginia Beach. Camp store is well stocked and is run by an outstanding staff. FT Story is very close so you will hear the Star Spangled Banner at 8am every morning and occasionally you will here helicopters doing night exercises.

Camping close to the beach

The sites were large enough and many were tucked under the canopies, allowing for some sun and rain protection. This helped give a little privacy. The sites were close to the beach, which was great. The bathhouse was above average in space, cleanliness, privacy, and light/noise minimization. There was a camp store with necessities as well as trinkets. What I didn't like was proximity to the military base which had traffic and some very bright security lights. Our site was just a few feet away which surprised me. There were loud low helicopter flights over us one night that didn't end until late at night.

The park is great for a walk, bike ride, or swim. I would definitely go here because there are more than just trails but maybe only for a day trip.

Great Weekend!

Our campsite looked super small at first, but then we moved the picnic table a bit to the side, and it was big enough for my 10 person tent. (Site 54)

Other than that, the water supply was right there on our site, and we had a lot of people come over to use it, but it was super convenient or us anyway. We left our tent alone ALL the time and nothing at all went wrong! I would definitely go here again, and plan on it next year for sure!

Packed in close!

Spent a hot & humid week here tent camping. Tent sites are packed in close among live oaks- lending towards a mystical experience, weather depending. RV/camper sites a tight as well. Beach is within walking distance and located near the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. Definitely recommend taking a short drive over to The Narrows, also part of First Landing State Park, for a change of scenery.