Lake City, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Lake City Camping Reviews
Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Awesome

Great campground plenty of big spots but very busy in the heat of the summer

Family Friendly

Been to this Campground as a child and now visiting as an adult with my child. Family friendly and very helpful staff. Plenty to do for all ages. Only downfall is so many golf carts and the amount of young teens riding around in the evening 9-10 pm or later with music loud. Will definitely be going back for future beach visits

Great summer campground

My family has been camping here for many years. We always enjoy our time @ Ocean Lakes!

Great Value and Amenities

This is a great place to camp at the beach. Yes it is not beachfront and you do have about 300-400 yards to go to get to the beach, but is that really worth the extra $40-60 per night in fees. The sites were all well kept and shady. Some sites are tight for Big Rigs but ours was perfect for our 40' 5er. You will read others complain about the airline noise, yes the campground is on the flight path, but, so are another 2 campgrounds that charge about double what the state park does. The airlines never really bothered us during our stay as we were up and doing something from daylight to dark. I will definitely be coming back here.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Great little place

Nothing to do here but camp and enjoy the day. They will have a beautiful when it fills up. Good hiking trails

Huntington Beach State Park is beautiful and basically being across the road from Brookgreen Gardens just adds to the beauty.  Have had the opportunity to camp here twice.  Not much privacy between sites but the park is nice.  The birding and wildlife are amazing, especially when you consider how close you are to the rambunctiousness of Myrtle Beach.  Needs to be on your list.

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Myrtle Beach State Park

Campground Review:

Do you love people? Do you love the ocean? Do you love airplanes?

Then Myrtle Beach State Park is for you!

It's a great park--it's got lots of campsites, a beautiful beach, and amenities like a playground, a nature center with educational programs, and a fishing pier.

The campground is well-staffed with rangers, hosts, and volunteers.  The bathrooms are large and clean. (Hand soap is provided but there are no paper towels, just blowers). The campgrounds are well-maintained and tidy.  The trash and recycling stations are conveniently located.

The campground, particularly site 171, is directly under the flight path for planes departing from Myrtle Beach International Airport.  The flights start around 6 am and go until 11 pm or so.  The planes haven't gotten much altitude before they are roaring above your tent, hammock, or camper!

Sites are close together and there is little to no privacy.  Site 171, however, seemed to be the best one for tents, with a deep and wide site and a few trees--enough to hang our 4 hammocks.

Quiet hours were not enforced and traffic noise is easily heard, especially fire truck and police car sirens well into the night and early morning.  The park staff raced past our site frequently on tractors and golf carts once it was after 7 am.

Mosquitoes are in full force here.  The county had sprayed for them the night before we arrived.  Maybe they don't spray the tent sites, but the mosquitoes were insane.  Bring plenty of spray, wipes, and one of those bug zapper tennis rackets.  You will definitely need protection!  The camp store sells mosquito spray for twice as much as it costs across the street at Walmart.

Also, the raccoons were at our site both nights.  They are fearless and hungry.  Lock up your food, your coolers, and your trash.  They do know how to open up latches!!!

Bring a bike and/or a beach cart to get around and transport your stuff to the beach for the day.  The campground is about 300 yards from the beach and it's so nice, you'll want to spend the whole day there, then go out at night to look for creatures and enjoy the ocean breeze.

--------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the Morsel Spork (mini and XL).

I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of using the Sporks.  I was worried they'd be awkward and unwieldy, but the creators put thought into how they are being held by the eater.  My thumb rested nicely in a groove near the top of the utensil.  The rubbery edge worked as intended to completely scrape the sides of the bowl, but an added bonus was that the rubber made the spoon edges soft where it met the skin of my mouth.

The spoon holds much more (cereal and beans, in our case) than it looks like it would.  The fork works, but I'd like thinner tines to better stab food items.  The serrated edge?  Well, it crushes rather than cuts.

I love the different colors and unique shape of the Spork(s).  They will be going on every camping trip with us.  They are easy to tell which fork is whose, and won't be lost in the cutlery shuffle when we're camping with a group of friends.  They're good for kids and adults!

Wonderful

Beautiful campground. Lovely ocean beach, fishing pier, and playground. Very clean, wonderful staff.

Right near the beach

Very busy, crowded but inexpensive access to Myrtle Beach tourist attractions. Lots of restaurants, shopping and events nearby

One of my favs in South Csrolina

Literally by the beach. Clean, friendly staff, near great low country restaurants. The old Atalaya home site is there to tour.  Brookgreen Gardens is across the Highway.

Family camping

Stayed during off season, great price and not crowded

Great State Park

We stayed in the newer South campground, great for big rigs. Easy access to beach!

Pros and cons

Pros- Friendly and helpful staff everywhere. Our sand and grass lot was level. We had nice neighbors all around us. Our family loved the pool and the kiddos couldn’t get enough of the pirate themed water park and lazy river. They have a well stocked store. A restaurant and game room. A food truck was also available daily. Easy access to the beach. The bathhouse was clean, well stocked and climate controlled.

Cons- We were all packed in snug like sardines. Traffic is busy always.

Loved it

Very nice campground and park! Short walk to the beach. Big clean bathrooms with showers. Camp store employees were super nice. Camp sites were spacious and some on the outside ring were very secluded.

Great stay

Lots of amenities- once you’re set up you’d never need to leave. Beautiful pool, clean climate controlled bath houses, beautiful beach access!

Awesome

Our go to place! Have been there all seasons and it never disappoints. Right on the beach. If you stay 6 they have you 7th day free.

Great time!

We got there early, since no one was on the site we reserved they let us in. Nice size site. Clean restrooms. Short walk to the ocean. All staff and visitors were friendly. A must to put on o=your camping schedule

Great

Excellent staff and facility. Five stars

Very nice

The place is very nice. We go every summer for a week but it seems like each year it falls a little more and more. The security are very serious about their job and almost had to show proof to a security guard that we were in the right spot while trying to back in. Sites are close but to be expected on the beach. Nice pool features with the pirate ship and lazy river. The beach is full but never packed. Lots of extras to do.

Awesome family campground

We loved camping here. We rented a golf cart and never left the campground. Great lazy river, water splash zone, store and snack area. Really big shaded lot in the K area that was close to everything.

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Awesome beach campground

We had a great time here at the beach and fishing the lazy river was a plus!!!!

Quiet

I understand the point of this campground.

It is a very large area with no designated campsites. The vault toilet has grass growing around the entrance that is about knee high. There was a water spigot on site that worked. I would filter it first.

No one was there when we showed up for a mid-day lunch and nap!

If it isn’t hunting season this campground may be a good place to check if you need free.

Quick and Quiet

Went for a weekend ride in the forest and chose this campground. It has a vault toilet and 8 sites that are first come first serve. Both Friday and Saturday night there was only one other site spoken for.

It was nice hearing the bull frogs in the overnight as well as the owls. Ensure you have some type of insect repellent as the mosquito population is not lacking. Sites are open and have plenty of room.

The picnic tables are made of concrete and are starting to show signs of aging. I don’t recall seeing running water anywhere on site, doesn’t mean there isn’t.

If you are looking for a free place to camp close to the coast or right off a forest road, you found it!

Disappointed

This campground was ok. If you like crowded, un-level, brownish water, and just no sense of relaxation, then this is the place for you. The place is packed. Great for the kids, because there is a ton of stuff for them to do. There is no time for a parent to catch their breath. Fireworks are shot off until 11pm or later every night. My campsite was very un-level. I about couldn’t reach the first step getting into my camper. The water hookup produced a discolored water that had a brownish tint to it. The staff at check in were just trying to herd everyone through like cattle. Didn’t even fix an error on their part when they should have. All in all it was ok. We may or may not go back again.

Amazing

Friendly staff, clean and relaxed enviroment, easy beach access. Amazing trip, already booked out next trip.

Amazing! Everything is right here.

This place is like a small city! Could stay here  & never have to leave! Good level spots, old shade trees. Laundry & grocery store complete with fishing & souvenirs! Even a post office! Free fresh drinking water, lots of  immaculate showers & bathrooms. Trash pick up at your site! Its own water park & swimming pools. Truly a great vacation place for families . Beach is right there!