Kingstree, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Kingstree Camping Reviews
Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Huntington Beach State Park is beautiful and basically being across the road from Brookgreen Gardens just adds to the beauty.  Have had the opportunity to camp here twice.  Not much privacy between sites but the park is nice.  The birding and wildlife are amazing, especially when you consider how close you are to the rambunctiousness of Myrtle Beach.  Needs to be on your list.

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

One of my favs in South Csrolina

Literally by the beach. Clean, friendly staff, near great low country restaurants. The old Atalaya home site is there to tour.  Brookgreen Gardens is across the Highway.

Great State Park

We stayed in the newer South campground, great for big rigs. Easy access to beach!

Peaceful setting, great location

I’ve been to Buck Hall several times. Excellent place to trailer your boat, cook over a campfire, and have a shower to wash the salt off at the end of the day. Views of the Intracoastal waterway are nice, watching the variety of boats pass by. The majority of the area is cleared grass, cutting down on bugs. Don’t forget to bring the frisbee! Since this isn’t a state park, they are tolerant to crackin a couple of cold ones. Boat landing is deep enough to drop a large boat into the drink, and cruising up Bulls Bay or heading south towards Dewees. Hiking a section of the Palmetto Trail is a good option for a day out of the sun due to the heavy maritime forest canopy. Best time of the year is Fall, Spring, and Winter. Trailering your boat will force you to pay for an RV site.

Great

Excellent staff and facility. Five stars

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Quiet

I understand the point of this campground.

It is a very large area with no designated campsites. The vault toilet has grass growing around the entrance that is about knee high. There was a water spigot on site that worked. I would filter it first.

No one was there when we showed up for a mid-day lunch and nap!

If it isn’t hunting season this campground may be a good place to check if you need free.

Quick and Quiet

Went for a weekend ride in the forest and chose this campground. It has a vault toilet and 8 sites that are first come first serve. Both Friday and Saturday night there was only one other site spoken for.

It was nice hearing the bull frogs in the overnight as well as the owls. Ensure you have some type of insect repellent as the mosquito population is not lacking. Sites are open and have plenty of room.

The picnic tables are made of concrete and are starting to show signs of aging. I don’t recall seeing running water anywhere on site, doesn’t mean there isn’t.

If you are looking for a free place to camp close to the coast or right off a forest road, you found it!

Peaceful

For our first time camping in our RV the staff was very friendly and helpful. The crew escorted us to our campsite, made sure we where happy. This was done with anyone who came in to camp.

If you don’t feel like cooking, order their awesome pizza, wings and they will deliver it to you by golf cart.

Our trash was picked up every morning. Campsite, pool and laundry area was kept clean.

We had an awesome view from our campsite of Santee Lake. We definitely will be coming back!

We loved it!

Our family of five was able to do hiking, boating, and geocaching! We love this place so much :-)

Great state park

Had a great time hiking and fishing

Large campsite on the beach

We stayed in June it was very hot and humid in the campground and the trails to the beach were infested with huge mosquitos. But once it opened up to the beach it was awesome. It rained a lot and the north campground we stayed in flooded and pretty much stayed underwater that entire week. Next time we will stay in the smaller south campground with full hookups.

Great campground

They have 2 different campgrounds one which has been updated. We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed it every time. They have a few trails to hike. Both campgrounds are on Lake Marion. There is a little BBQ restaurant called Lone Star right outside the park that is pretty good. Bathhouses are in decent shape.

Lovely stay

Lovely campground, the office workers are very friendly. There are a few full timers there who are always friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this RV park.

Just OK.

Bathrooms nasty. Rough roads. Nice lake.

Great Group Camping

The primitive group campsites have been recently improved with a new access trail (crushed gravel), new posts dividing each campsite and new food boxes. The group camping is located near the boardwalk access to the beach. Camp in the shade of the woods while listening to the ocean waves.

WE love this place

You are a sand dune away from the ocean, you pass over a causeway to get to the SP and Campground.  There are alligators on both sides of the causeway, multiple birds lurking and flying in and out along the causeway with viewing places.  The campground is very nice, most sites have NO sewer sites but they have water and electric.  There are a few sites with sewer sites and there is, of course, a sewer dump station.  The beach is gorgeous and LONG!!!  You are not far from Myrtle Beach, from Georgetown and about 2 hours away from Charleston SC.  Great place.

Good Times

My buddies and drove our trucks off the normal road to find ultimate privacy. We didn’t stay on a set camp ground, with no cell service and no one bothering us we got to simply relax. We stayed in our trucks that night. The next morning after we made breakfast we explored for hours, in our trucks and by foot. It was absolutely amazing, I can’t wait to go again… hopefully sooner than later.

Crowded and Worn

A beautiful location on the lake. All campsites can probably see the lake a little.

Downside is that it's super crowded. Apparently all the fishermen drag their families in along with their boats. While they're fishing, Mom and the kids are left in the campground.

Amenities are standard for SC parks, but they're worn-out. Could definitely use a refresh.

Worth the money

5$ entry fee per adult, however it kinda guarantees you a great spot on the beach. Plenty of room for parking. Campsites close to the beach. Plenty of even sites and hookups.

Great little spot for everyone

Awesome park about ten minutes outside of Florence. Has an environmental learning center. A canopy boardwalk in the trees. Kayak loading dock. And small campground with archery course.

Awesome little spot

Great little park about 20 minute drive from Florence. Clean bathrooms. My dog was a bit confused by seeing horses for the first time. Super friendly staff.

Nice secluded campground near everything.

This is a nice campground on the Waterway in Myrtle Beach. The setting seems remote and quiet, but you are minutes from all the attractions.

It was packed

They pack you in this campground, but it was pretty nice, with some great views. They had a little shop and a pizza place coming soon. We’ll go back.