The best GROUP camping near
Ingrams , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Ingrams Camping Reviews
Basic state campground.

Hiking trails. No sewer hook ups but water and electric which is standard for SC state parks. It is in the middle of town and nothing to really see.

Great outdoor fun!

Beautiful place to camp, hike, and kayak! I don’t live far from Cane Creek, so I take my two labs there almost every weekend for a good hike through the woods and they LOVE IT! A few of the trails are right on the lake and the dogs love to hop in and cool off. I load up my kayak once a month or so and paddle around the lake for hours. Trails, shelter areas, and bathrooms are always well taken care of.

Just Okay

Crowded. The camp ground is definitely crowded. We got lucky and had no one to our left and a very quiet and considerate neighbor to our right. You don't always get lucky like that though! We also didnt realize our site backed against an open field. It appeared to be maybe a gathering spot, had a giant fire pit. We were at site 45. All the sites on that side of the loop back against it, which wouldnt be so bad in the winter BUT makes for a super hot camp during the warmer weather.

Bathrooms were clean, a little older but clean. The camp host was no where to be found so you either show up betweeb 11-12 or 4-5 if you want to get wood. We always scrounge the ground for firewood but like to purchase as well because it goes back into the park. We were lucky in that everything was really dry but on a wet weekend or trip this would be beyond annoying and venture into frustrating and just plain angry.

The "road" up to the camp ground in one lane with nowhere to really pull off if someone is coming in the opposite direction. It was very tricky to navigate the couple of times we ended up coming up on other drivers.

The trails are okay but overall, the park was a little so so. Still had a good time with a lot of hammock swinging. Dont forget to go up to the lookout. That is really pretty and you dont want to miss it.

Site 37

We stayed here April 2-4. We mainly stayed here because it’s only an hour and a half from Charleston, and read some good reviews.

If you are coming from the south, be advised that once you are off I-95, you will see zero stores or gas stations, so plan accordingly.

The road going into the campground is pretty bad, but doable. We tent camp, but saw quite a few bigger rigs camped there. I did hear some of the other campers with trailers saying they had trouble backing into their sites do to the trees.

If you’re getting there after dark, I imagine that it would be difficult to find your site.

Site 37 was super small, but we did manage to get our tent set up as well as our screen for the picnic table. The water spigot was in a weird spot and got in the way.

There are many spots that are bigger and in better spots, so choose wisely. There was no privacy at 37 and it was way to close to the site next to us.

There seems to be many trails for hiking and/or mountain biking and we did see people with kayaks.

There are two bathrooms that were fairly clean, although one was closed Saturday afternoon for a plumbing issue.

We were surprised at the amount of people camping, because the first night we were there, it got down to 27 degrees.

If you are not bringing wood with you, the office will deliver to your site if you call between 4 and 5 pm.

Overall, a decent place, and we will go back, just into a different site.

4 Nights at Site 36

This camp site was a wonderful little base camp for our 4 night trip in the region to visit Congaree. Our site was clean and large. 36 was recommended and I can see why, good privacy while also some close to everything. Loved that every site had their own water pump but really wished they had a wash station. The lack of a wash station made doing dishes for 8 a nightmare at times. Bathrooms where C+ on our scale. They where not the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen but they where good enough. Park was quiet at night and the trails in the park where more plentiful than Congaree for us!

Beautiful scenery

I've been going to this place since I was a kid. It's grown tremendously over the years and it's lost it's campground appeal with all the fancy things they have put in place of the woods, still a beautiful place.

Great clean campground

We have stayed at Cane Creek 2x now and enjoy the park so much. Lake, hiking trails and nice wooded campsites with fire rings and close proximity to bath houses. Playground for kids, little store, friendly staff. Beach swimming area closed due to Covid but looks nice. Park on other side of lake has picnic shelters, more trails, frisbee golf and kayak rentals that will open after Covid. Only problem is that both times we visited there was a storm and power went out for hours. Can’t really do anything about that!

Pretty Park & Great Hiking but Poor Roads & Rude Camp Host

Poinsett State Park is absolutely beautiful and a true hidden gem. We recently visited South Carolina and after spending the weekend visiting nearby Congaree National Park, we opted to stay at Poinsett State Park for 4 nights in our Mercedes Sprinter campervan. As we had read online, the roads into and around the park are truly in desperate need of repair, but once in the campground, the sites are very nice. Site 24 was perfect as it is the last one with hookups and that allows RVs. The hiking is fantastic- I was able to easily hike several miles each day with my dogs and most of the hiking trails are very peaceful and pretty. Even though we were there in early February, we did encounter some gnats/mosquitos and we had to be incredibly vigilant about picking ticks off of our dogs. The only negative is that the park host was incredibly rude to us. We travel with our two well behaved dogs and ALWAYS keep them on a leash. I spent several hours a day hiking with them and walked through the campground with them on several occasions, which I know the host saw since we walked past him multiple times. On the third day of our stay, as I was bringing one of our dogs back and we were switching leashes and harnesses, our other dog jumped out and got away from us for a minute. We immediately ran after her, and after calling her name, she turned around and came back. She was out for less than a minute, and we were actively pursuing her with leash in hand the entire time. My husband was literally running after her without shoes on. The camp host came and yelled at us claiming that our dog"almost attacked his dog." She's a 9 year old Golden Retriever that is literally the most friendly dog on the planet. She was in our view the entire time and never barked or growled, only went up somewhat near them(several feet away) to say hello. It was clearly a mistake that she got out and something we rectified immediately. He kept yelling at us well after she was in our control. While I 100% understand and agree that all dogs should be on leash, it was clearly a mistake and absolutely nothing happened. It made us feel really awkward and uncomfortable. Then, on top of that, the next day, we couldn't even walk our dogs because there were 2 loose dogs running all over the campground with literal bells on- the camp host of course didn't address what was actually a flagrant violation of the rules by a neighboring camper. Other than that, our 4 day stay was perfect, but this really negatively impacted our stay.

Pleasant Surprise

Clean bathrooms. Nice setting. Great hiking and Mtn biking on site. It is kind of off the beaten path but we did stop at a gas station fairly close by with a little restaurant in the back that was all a retro backwoods trippy kind of place. The sites are semi private, we especially liked the ones that back up to a large field.

Remote and natural setting

Poinsett State Park near Wedgefield, SC. is a bit remote, but worth the effort. This is a good base to visit Congaree National Park which is a little less than an hour away. Most of the sites are dirt but are fairly level. As others have mentioned, the state road getting back to this Park is pretty rough, but nothing that will break your rig on the way in. We stayed two nights in December and enjoyed our stay while we visited Congaree. Everything seemed to be clean and maintained. The hiking trails are very nice. The main attractions here are relaxing, camping, and hiking.