About Oregon Inlet Campground

Oregon Inlet Campground is the northernmost campground on Cape Hatteras National Seashore. When camping here, you are within a short distance of the full service town of Nags Head to the north, and the world class fishing at Oregon Inlet to the south.

Recreation

The beach adjacent to the campground can be reached by foot from your campsite as well as by vehicle with a Cape Hatteras Off-Road Vehicle Permit. Popular activities include fishing, swimming, surfing, birding, and shell hunting. The calmer waters of the sound to the west of the campground can be accessed at the public boat launch at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Popular sound side opportunities include crabbing, clamming, paddle-boarding, boating, and fishing.

Facilities

Each of the three loops in the campground have a bath house with flush toilets, potable water, and heated outdoor showers. Each campsite has a paved parking pad, picnic table, and charcoal grill. There are limited sites with RV hook-ups. A dump and water fill station are located directly across Highway 12 at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, and are free of charge for campers.

Natural Features

The campground is located on the east side of the barrier island, just a short walk through the dunes to the expansive waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Sea Oats and other native flowering plants blanket the dunes providing a picturesque backdrop for your camping experience.

Nearby Attractions

The historic Bodie Island Lighthouse is approximately four miles north of Oregon Inlet Campground on NC Highway 12. From the third Friday in April until Columbus Day visitors can climb the lighthouse with a ticket that can be purchased in the lighthouse visitor center. Coquina Beach Day Use Area is located directly across HWY 12 from the Bodie Island Lighthouse access road. The day use area provides a vehicle free beach perfect for families. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Coquina Beach is staffed with lifeguards to ensure the safety of visitors. Other amenities at Coquina Beach include a bathhouse with outdoor cold showers, flush toilet restrooms, water fountains, and a boardwalk to the beach.

ADA Access: N

Sites
130
Price
$28.00 - $35.00
National Park Service
Oregon Inlet Campground is located in North Carolina
Directions
North (From Richmond, VA) Follow I-95 South to Richmond, VA. Take I-64 East toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. Take I-64 or I-664 to Chesapeake, VA. From I-64, take Exit 291B to Route 168, the Chesapeake Expressway (a toll-road costing $3.00- $6.00 each way). Once in North Carolina, Route 168 turns into US-158 East. Follow US-158 East through Nags Head, NC to the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. West (From Rocky Mount, NC) Follow US-64 East through Tarboro, Williamston, Plymouth, Columbia, and Manteo, crossing the Alligator River Bridge and the Virginia Dare Bridge. Keep going on US-64 East to Nags Head, NC, going over the Washington Baum Bridge, to the junction of NC-12 South. Turn right onto NC-12 South and you will be at the north entrance. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet. South (From Florence, SC) Take I-95 North to Wilson, NC. Take US-264 East through Greenville, NC and Washington, NC. From Washington, NC, take US-17 to Williamston and follow US-64 East to Nags Head, NC and the junction of NC-12 South. Continue on NC-12 South, and the campground will be on your left just before you reach Bonner Bridge over Oregon Inlet.
23 Reviews of Oregon Inlet Campground
I love it here

This campground is part of the National Parks so the price is great. Its close to the beach, just a short walk over a sand dune and close to the harbor as well…walk or less than a mile drive. The ranger is very nice and the park is kept perfect. Restrooms and showers are clean and work great. Electricity and water were added in the past few years. It just doesn't get better for beach camping.

Pleasant get away

An enjoyable site near the unincorporated portions of the Outer Banks. We ran late on arrival due to a serious comedy of errors. The campground office reserved and assigned an electric site with water for us since we had paid months in advance. Unfortunately, a self centered traveler had taken our site before we arrived! We spent the night sleeping in front of the office upon our very late arrival. The office got everything straightened out and the rest of our stay was pleasant.

Right on The Beach

Just over the sand dunes is the Atlantic Ocean. They have tent sites, non-electric sites and full hook up sites. There are bathroom facilities and showers. Bring your bug, probably gonna need it.

Great little campground with easy beach access

We loved our time here and we plan to stay longer next year. I caught a 30” Red Drum our first night. Night fishing is incredible. We were in an RV electric site. Water and electric hookups are state of the art and the nicest I’ve ever seen. They light up at night to make a pleasant glow all throughout the area. Just enough to walk to the bathroom. A couple things I wish we’d known:

-don’t walk anywhere but on the sand and the grass. There are prickly pear cactus and some kind of horrible terror thorn on the areas of the dunes that have tall flowers and grasses that are the bane of my 2 year old’s existence.

-get there earlier to get the best sites. Sites are assigned at check in, first come first serve, although you can reserve hookup sites so you’re guaranteed one of those. The rangers will let you drive around, look at sites, park in the one you want, then come back to finish your check in.

-there are some bugs at night. Not bad but they do exist

-there is no shade. Zero. We would have roasted in a tent.

Awesome place with lots of freedom, no one bothered us at all. Swimming is at your own risk so there aren’t power hungry lifeguards blowing whistles every 5 seconds. Beach wasn’t crowded, even on Labor Day weekend.

Excellent Location

Let's cover the negatives first- The "tent pads" are small. The sites are exposed. The bugs are vicious.

Now, the good stuff- This place is right in Nags Head, which is a gorgeous little town. It's basically on the beach (short walk through the dunes). Nice, hot showers. Not far from Bodie Island lighthouse. Near some great fishing. Close to the pier. Probably 20 minutes from the Write Brothers Memorial. I could go on and on.

If you stay here, do yourself a favor and bring a big beach umbrella. There are no trees. Also, be aware, you'll need bug spray especially right when you get out of the shower. The mosquitoes can be horrific.

Perfect location

Husband and I and 2 dogs stayed July 14-20th. The campsites are well maintained. They have bathrooms and outside showers with warmish water. The ocean is just a few minutes walk over the dunes. Campground was quiet even though it was full. We did have to be careful of sand burrs/prickles. And bugs/mosquitoes.  We were prepared for this so we had no issues. We had a fantastic time.

The beauty of the camping area is outweighed by the incompetence of the park staff

Its like running a hotel, on the website it says if your going to be later than 7 call, we were so we did they knew we were staying two days, they told us to pick any spot, don’t tell people to pick spots if other people have reserved spots. We were told to pick any spot we did then the next day they told us that people had reserves the spot we were in, (thats why we called to make sure) now I’m here moving all of my stuff i had set up because the ranger staff is incompetent. The spot is beautiful the ocean is amazing but I’m here in this amazing place in a pissy mood because of the staff. Get your stuff together please.

Great beach camping

Absolutely loved this campground. The facilities were great, the lots were of good size, not too close together and well groomed. It isn’t right on the beach, but the dunes are gorgeous and the walk over them is just a hop and a skip. I loved the breeze and the ocean waves at night, absolutely perfect. Will be back again soon!

One on my favorites in the Carolina’s

I have been here many times. The cold water showers sound horrible, but after a hot day on the beach they are fantastic. You are allowed to drive on the beach here. That is nice. Dogs are allowed. Last time I went my son caught a sea horse!! Amazing.

Great campground just steps from the ocean - with views of the Lighthouse!

Oregon Inlet Campground is located on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. It is the first campground found on the island, very close to Nags Head, on the beach side of route 12.

We prefer campgrounds like Oregon Inlet, because they are natural and have beautiful scenery. We love being within steps of the ocean and being able to stare at the tip of the lighthouse (Bodie Island - you can tell by the direction of the stripes!) through the dunes. The Outer Banks also has some amazing stars - we watched a meteor shower which was incredible!!

Oregon Inlet Campground has a loop (Loop A) which only allows tent camping. Most of the sites are pretty close together (many too close for our comfort) but there are a couple that are tucked back in the dunes and a bit further away from the rest.

This campground has free hot showers - just pull the ring and nice warm water runs for about 20 seconds before shutting off. Outside the bathhouse there is a water fountain that has a water bottle fill up station - which is SO nice at the beach!!! We were able to refill waterbottles easily - with water we felt good about drinking! It also did not have the salty taste that many beach water fountains do!