The best WALK IN camping near
Watha , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Watha Camping Reviews
Cozy & Woodsy Campground

We only stayed here for one night but from what we saw it was a great location to town and had its own marina. We hadn’t made a reservation ahead of time but the very friendly park ranger just had us make a reservation on the website as we found a spot close to the bath house that was available. Clean and friendly, would recommend!

Nice primitive type campground

This campground is located between the Cape Fear River and Atlantic Ocean. Nice primitive type of feel to this place. There is tent camping, RV sites, and even about 4 cabins (with more under construction) available at this site. Electrical hookups available for most of the RV sites. There are water pumps throughout the grounds and the bathroom facilities are new and clean with private showers. There are plenty of trash/recycling containers which the staff empty a few times a day, and a dump site for RV's.

There is a supermarket just a few miles away, and a brewery right outside of the campsite.

The staff is excellent and always available, and do a great job.

Christmas Week at Cedar Point

We could not have Christmas with our kids, so we went camping. Where? To our new favorite campground, of course!

Back to CP. We were in site 11 on this trip and we reserved it because it is close to the bath house.

The campground has only had about 12-15 campers in it this week. We love the quietness and the wind in the trees. It turned off really cold….I MEAN REALLY COLD, so I have spent a LOT of time inside the camper.

Here are some of our favorite things from this trip:

• Clam Chowder (yes, buy the BIG ONE) from Swansboro Food & Beverage in Swansboro

• Lazzara’s Pizza on Emerald Isle has some AMAZING thin crust pizza (save yourself and don’t settle for Michangelo’s pizza…. not even close to the deliciousness of Lazzara’s)

I did a silent video that show several sites and how big and well kept they are. I showed the end of the nice bath house and captured a few scattered campers and a brave tent camper……brrrrrrr too cold.

Still Like This Campground

We came back for Thanksgiving week and had a blast! We were in site 1 and it was awesome! It is bigger than site 17 and you only have a neighbor on one side.

We rode bikes on the marsh trail which is just down the road the campground is on and watched kayakers and fishermen launch from the pier.

All the items I touched on in my October review are still true. Bath house clean, grounds well kept and host friendly.

FOODIE TIP:

If you have the chance while in season and while camping….call Bekah Bay Oyster Company and order some of her farm raised oysters….so clean and such a sweet taste. We opened ours on the half shell and grilled them in the shell with butter and Bull Hot Sauce.

Amazing Little Campground

We camped here in October 2020 and stayed in site 17. It is a great site with lots of room between you and the next camper.

The bath facility is in a very nice building, is heated and has individual locking shower rooms so you have total privacy and security. The roads are paved and the paved pads accommodate up to a 70 ft camper/vehicle. Each site has a smooth, flat, gravel area equipped with 2 lantern poles, one large picnic table, and a fire ring with swing away cooking grate. Beyond the gravel areas are flat level areas of grass. The campsites are shaded by large, tall pines and other assorted trees.

The bath facility was very clean and well kept. The host was very friendly and helpful. The grounds throughout the park are extremely well kept.

Upon arrival, you check in with the host, drive to water fill area and fill up your fresh water tank. There are additional water fill faucets throughout the park. Your site is equipped for both 30 or 50 amp campers.

We really like this little campground and plan to come back again soon.

Enjoyed staying here for years, but this weekend was less than memorable...

I've had many good memories here, sad to see Ben Hardy not there anymore, he always went above and beyond to make your stay pleasant, most recently the mens bathroom was smelly, shower area very dirty, and no toilet tissue available, trash cans were over full there was paper towels all over the fioor, it just might be a while before i return there for a visit….  :(

Awesome campground

Loved the views of the water.

Great place, mosquitos are brutal

We camped here Wed through Sat for my son's fall break. We arrived on Wed afternoon around 4pm. I was wearing leggings and the mosquitos literally landed on my leggings and bit me through them. I didn't even know that could happen. I should have left the campsite then and gone to Walmart, 17 min away, and bought enough bug spray and candles for the weekend but we set up the campsite instead. We just got back so camped the first week in October, site 17. For the four days, I had two citronella candles, one on the picnic table and one near our camping chairs, a thermocell fogger in the tent (ran for about an hour before we went in to go to sleep)  and then two bottles of 40% deet spray…one for our car when we came back to the campsite and one on the picnic table. We brought our kayaks and launched from both the Carolina Beach State Park marina and also Trails End public access (intercoastal waterway). Both were great with plenty of parking while we were there. There are VERY large yachts in the trails end area which are cool to see, just be careful when paddling that area. We fished at both places and also at Carolina beach from the surf. I caught a HUGE drum there. Lots of dogs off of leashes (rules change Oct 1st) so that was cool to see. We mostly cooked at the campsite but ate dinner at Sea Witch Cafe one night. The place is dog friendly, which we needed, and the food was reasonably priced and so good. The park rangers lock the gates at 9pm and they don't open until 7am so you have to plan accordingly. This wasn't an issue for us, we just watched the clock and made sure we were back. Beach is about 6 min away, Walmart is about 17 min or so, several grocery stores nearby (Food Lion, Publix). Overall, it was a great trip, I just wasn't prepared initially for the mosquitos. I got 90 bites that first day. I even had to constantly spray down my dog to keep the mosquitos off of her. It was a bit much. Definitely put all of your food in your car or at a minimum in your tent. Raccoons come nightly. :) We lost a quesadilla, some dog food, etc.

Very clean and fun

Great sites, fishing pier, playground great for kids, close to shopping and other stuff

It’s a national forest...

This site is conveniently close to many beach attractions. To compare it to the local RV sites it so great in the aspect you are not on top of each other. The site itself for it being on “national park/forest land,” is “ok.” But in comparison to other national parks or federal land, it is barely a 3 star. It struggle in cleanliness and upkeep. The facilities are at best an “ehhh it’s food enough.” There are nice people here though that are making an honest effort, and who can argue with this places excellent location?