The best BOAT IN camping near
High Shoals , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent High Shoals Camping Reviews
Happy camper

It was our first time camping as a family and now we wish we could camp every weekend!

Pretty & Pleasant

We stayed in Long Arm paddle-in area 2. Park staff was not very helpful at all when we first arrived, but despite the attitude and the terrible rainy weather, we found our site fairly easily. As other reviews here and elsewhere mention, the tent pads don’t drain well and huge puddles develop- some sites were completely overtaken by a full inch of water. Thankfully the rain stopped on our first night, but it could definitely ruin a trip. The privy was nice to have, but I could smell it at every campsite and that definitely bothered me. Overall a decent weekend, but my suspicions that I am just not a Lake Person were confirmed.

Great trip

This was a great weekend trip. Camp sites were large and had enough privacy! Very clean bathrooms and showers! Would highly recommend.

We have been pretty happy with our stay

Great little spot for a family get away. We came in late after leaving another place down the road that was just awful. They waited until we arrived even though it was after the office closed.

They have a lot of little activities during the day and even for the family. We would stay here again, I just wish it was a little cheaper ($57 a night full hook ups)and it would be nice if cell phone service was better as there is pretty much one bar everywhere you go in the camp ground for Verizon.

Great hiking and awesome views.

Lots of trails to choose from. Beautiful views. Lots of history. Visit here often.

Love this place.

Very close to my home. I hike in to the remote campsite on the lake. Lots of fishermen and trash since the scum can’t seem to pick up after themselves. The cabins here are also great. Clean and nice location. I would suggest the overlook cabin. I generally tent camp and the Point, not many know of this location as it’s a decent hike in. Great place.

Not for the weak of heart

Took 3 boys camping here. The 1.5 mile hike to the campsite was very much an uphill climb. The primitive outhouse scared them. It was extremely seclusive. Went on up another .5 miles the following morning and looked out over the clouds. Quite a sight! It was an experience they won't forget!

Campground close to home

Nice campground close to home!! We’ve stayed here twice now and had a great time both times. Small campground but so nice!

Clearest lake in North Carolina

Lake James is by far the clearest body of water I have been on in NC. Kayaked to the Long Arm camping are #1 and stayed at campsite #6. Great site along with site #5–both are premo paddle-in-only camping spots on the water and have a small beach front to tie up your vessels. Picnic table, fire ring and a very large metal storage cabinet to keep any would-be vermin out of your food. Very peaceful area for relaxing, fishing and enjoying the lake. Firewood for sale at $5 a bundle from the camp host if you need it. Communal privy. No running water. Must pack all trash out. 10/10, would do again.

Nice walk

Nice walk through Boy Scout camp. Trails are in good shape. Very close to Rivergate area. Great Lake access and nice kayaking.