Edenton, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Edenton Camping Reviews
Definitely a campground to visit at least once!

If you have a chance, definitely check out Goose Creek State Park. My husband, son, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and myself stayed at the park this past weekend, and we had a wonderful time. We stayed at campsite 11, and we had plenty of room for our two tents, two vehicles, a pup, a toddler, and the supplied picnic table, fire pit, and additional charcoal grill. The one negative about spot 11 is there’s a hiking trail that run directly behind the campsite, so it feels like people are constantly walking through your campsite. Spots 1-10 were definitely a bit smaller, and spots 11-14 are larger. If we were to stay again, I believe we’d try to stay at site 13.

The fishing dock is quite small, but it was fun to fish from with a few people. Be sure to bring bug spray! The worst for me was the biting flies. There is one outhouse-type bathroom near the dock with a spigot and dumpster nearby. There are about 10 steps leading up to the one-person, non-flushing bathroom.

There’s a wood station at the campground that uses the honor system. It’s $5 per bundle. We visited the visitors center in the hopes that they would have live bait for sell, but they sell nothing of the sort (no ice, bait, fishing rods, etc). So bring everything you need other than wood!

Overall, I’d give the campground 4.5/5, and I certainly recommend it! Try to stay in sites 11-14 if possible.

Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Love this campground!

Lots of things for kids to do! Pool, putt-putt, ice cream shop and so much more. The beach isn't great, you have to go out pretty far to really be in the water, but other then that it works great even has an outdoor shower right on the beach. They have fantastic bathhouses, they are each private. Nice large spots. Only negative is to watch out for snakes.

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Hometown fun

I have spent my childhood here and I am excited to share it with my kids. We hike here when visiting grandparents. Chesapeake Public Park’s does a great job with events and education at NWRP! Equestrian trails available, which is always a plus.

nice family campground

Nice place for families and rv's, stopped here for a night on the way to Colonial Williamsburg well kept nice facilities just a bit expensive for what i needed. Cool swimming area, this seems to be the only decent spot around.

Love it

I love this little place in Elizabeth City. There is a little tiny beach nearby & it provides a beautiful view in during sunrise/sunset. There is not much else to do in the area but it is about an hour drive to the OBX so not too bad. I would suggest visiting at least once.

Only been here one time

I have only visited this campground one time & I did not stay the night! There is lots of space to walk and play, ride bikes, etc. There is a really nice pool with a store up front and they have cabins from what I remember. I would go back again IF I didn’t already live in the surrounding area lol

Not the best I’ve been to

This campground is in an okay location. There is not much to do in the surrounding area and the only thing that I remember them really having to offer is a swimming pool. They had little paddle boats and stuff on the water but I’m not sure if they get used. You can’t swim in the water because it is just too nasty. The tent site we were given was awful. It is very stumpy and bumpy throughout the entire campground. Lots of roots and tree limbs. May have been the worst camping experience of my life.

Awesome campground!

I actually used to work at this campground and in my personal opinion, it is awesome! There is a little store where you can buy drinks and snacks & don’t forget ice cream!There is a game room, a swimming pool and lots of space for walking or riding bikes. There is RV sites, tent sites and cabins. This campground literally has just about anything and everything you could want in a camoground!

Great little park!

The whole park is awesome! Just be prepared to see stinky, brown water lol Definitely suggest showering after visiting here (if you go swimming)

Good

It's not bad, the sites are spacious and level. The staff have been nice and we have had no issues. There is a cool barn and they have live music. They also have a lake, allow fishing and small boats, volleyball court, and some kind of golf course (might be frisbee). We stopped in to see some friends in the area and would return.

Great!

We arrived not sure of where to camp and this lovely guy named Steve who wasn’t even an employee showed us a good place to camp and made us a fire. It’s a very typical southern campground with lots of people who stay there for long periods of time. Lots of southern hospitality! The sunset is beautiful!

Great!

Great sites on the water

Great sites right on the water . Will need bug spray.

Good for quick stays!

The facility is nothing special, but it’s great for quick stays.

Planes fly daily and at night which is cool. Limited amount of spacing. Beach access Boat ramp access Cabin lodging available

Perfect overnight

All the amenities and friendly staff Got us in ASAP Easy access off 64

Beautiful Hidden Gem!!

This cypress pond is a great place for anyone! They have a family campsite loop with a nice bathhouse in the middle, they have group walk-in and canoe in campsite and well as family canoe in. They have a fishing area and a on site canoe rental. The Millpond itself is huge!! They use a buoy navigational system on the water. No swimming though due to the huge Alligators that live there. Overall this is an affordable and momentous getaway that I visit every chance I get.

Cool place for families

There were a lot of child friendly activities to do here. It’s about 40 mins from the beach. We tent camped and had a blast. The showers were nice and the bathrooms were very clean. The camp store is great. It has ice cream, which my kids loved. Would definitely go again

Campground with a Different Ecosystem--Woods and Swamp

Merchants Millpond is a great state park if you want to explore a different kind of ecosystem.  The heart of the park lies in its swamps filled with cypress trees and cypress stumps.  There are several camping areas of different kinds.  You can canoe in to one of their primitive campsites, which is on an island in the swamp.  There are other hike-in primitive sites, group camping sites, and there are also the family camping sites.   I stayed at the family camping site and decided to set up my hammock instead of a tent.  If you stay at Merchants Millpond, make sure you take and use insect repellent and lots of it.  I had the biggest problem with mosquitoes and ticks.  If you stay in a hammock, make sure it has mosquito netting.  The family camping sites have tent pads, lantern poles, and fire rings.  The bath house is centrally located within a short walking distance of all of the campsites.  The showers have hot water, but the bath house itself looks outdated.  The canoe-in site that I explored only has a pit toilet, but it did have fire rings and picnic tables.  You can hike to the island by way of a wooden bridge across the swamp, but it is mainly for those who want to canoe in.  If you can go off trail, you can see lots of wildlife.  I had the opportunity to do so since I was invited to participate in a search and rescue exercise.  I only saw one snake, which is unusual not to see more, but I also saw a deer and couple of turtles.  There is a bicycle trail, but the one I hiked on the most was the Lassiter Trail, which has a few wooden bridges and opportunities to experience the eastern woodlands and great views of the swampy millpond.  Fortunately, I did not run into any bears or alligators, which are common in this area.  The visitors center is large and modern, and there is a meeting facility.  The person that I talked to at the visitors center was pleasant and was able to answer my questions.  The staff is great to work with, and I know this because I volunteered to teach camping skills to 4H kids a couple of years ago at this state park.  Overall, it’s a great state park, but it lacks the amenities of modern RV parks.

Amazing!

This place is amazing! The staff is so friendly. We have gone a handful of times and it is our families favorite place to camp. The view on the beach is breathtaking. They are always throwing special events , we cannot wait to get back here!

camandkate_cre8

Fishing Oriented

We stayed at Tranters Creek while we visited Greenville NC for a graduation. The campground was 20-30 minutes from the college so it was an ideal place to stay. There seems to be a lot of permanent type campers set up there and most of the campers seem to be there to fish. The campground itself was clean. The bathrooms were also clean and stocked. Since we were there in early May there wasn't a lot going on but we did stop by the campground yard sale. Overall there doesn't seem to be much to do unless you fish. There is a pier but they don't sell bait at the campground store and you must have a fishing license.

OH! Make sure you adhere to the speed limit!

Great little hidden spot

Situated on Lake Mattamuskeet, beautiful sunsets. Bath houses on site. There’s even a small boat ramp for small skiffs. Fire pits and wood was provided. There are also camper spots & campers available to rent. Enjoyed our stay. Great fishing in the area.

Great Experience

We failed to call before closing! Took a chance and stopped anyway. No answer at the after hours phone number! A Huge Thank You To Paul & Linda who were out on their golf cart and stopped, made a call, let us in and showed us where to park. A very nice park, well maintained, all the sites were clean and had excellent shower facilities.

Favorite place to camp!

Absolutely love this campsite! It’s clean, quiet, and the views are hard to beat!

Prone To Flooding

I visited well before the recent hurricanes when water was just typical of the season. Despite this, the lower area, more wooded and appealing to tent campers was partially boggy and marshy, leaving it unavailable for camping.

I looked further for another campsite for my evening of camping and ended up in the open area, which provided little to no overhead coverage and closer neighbors. It was ok, but the sites in the trees would have been much better because they were more spread out.

Ending up in the open clearing, I was very close to the parking lot, which was great for moving my camping materials, however late in the evening people pulling in nearly blinded me, because there was no break from their headlights.

I asked if there were other options the next morning and staff was not the most helpful or friendly. I had considered saying a second night in the area to see more of the awesome things in the Kitty Hawk area, but because this sites wasn't helpful in accommodating me in a less trafficked area and didn't even seem to want to speak to me in regard to this and because other camps in the are did not allow tents, I ended up moving on instead and missing out on the things which could have been.

Camping in this area is tough, it could have been completely different if it had not been so wet!!

Lots of options family oriented

I went tent camping and fishing in the sound they have much to offer. Enjoyed a nice night with a buddy. Polite people and not loud.

Peaceful Waterside Camping

Coming to North Carolina, coastal camping is something which has to be on your bucket list. I traveled down the highway looking to get closer to Kitty Hawk where I wanted to see some of the many first in flight stops and this place jumped out at me and welcomed me in from the highway.

I stopped and. a local store and they raved about its location and proximity to the water so I simply had to stop and see for myself. I was not disappointed.

If you are looking for waterfront camping and activities I cannot see any location being more serene especially around sunrise and sunset. The water front stretches for miles and is so peaceful. Despite being located near the town of Bells itself you feel removed from civilization and next to your new close friend at the campground, where everyone seemed very nice.

As a tent camper I found the only downfall to be that the facility only had one shower area for the entire camp, and on a busy weekend like when I was there on a holiday that could be a bit of a juggling act for everyone. The bathrooms themselves were nice, though a bit dated and the entire camp was quaint.

They had a dock and launch which made for perfect water activities and when I was there they had many outdoor activities for everyone to enjoy.

When you think of one of those cute communities nestled right on the east coast you see in your mind something that looks just like this place. It was ideal!

TIPS:

• When traveling in this area check out the slightly strange and interesting spot Diggers Dungeon, a monster truck Mecca that will bring up a few memories even if you aren't really a fan. This spot is really interesting and has a diner, petting zoo and even tours of the shop where they put together the most famous monster truck of all times "Gravedigger"
  • Bring your water toys. This place is the perfect site for getting out the jet ski or just floating in the amazing feeling waters.
This campground was very quiet an Economical an dog friendly an stuff for

They need to no that if you go on a rainy season bring boots.

Amazing view!

We stayed at North Landing Beach for a week during the 4th of July holiday and while it was very busy, it was quiet and very family oriented. The beach was quiet and relaxing with beautiful sunsets. We will go back!