Belhaven, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Belhaven Camping Reviews
Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Great location

Clean camp grounds, could use additional shower. Overall great experience.

Awesome beach camping!

A great National Park Service Campground! If you are lucky you can get a site with private access to the beach. You can't reserve a specific site online so you have to choose it when you get there. We camped here in October, so we had tons to choose from!

The campsite was multi-tiered with a flat grassy area with a picnic table at the bottom, a path to another flat sandy area where we put our tent, and then a path over the dune to the beach. The bathrooms have cold showers and are pretty basic. No fires at this campground but you can have a fire in the grill.

Ocracoke is such a special place with lots of fun things to do and see in town or just spend the whole time at the beach!

Definitely a campground to visit at least once!

If you have a chance, definitely check out Goose Creek State Park. My husband, son, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and myself stayed at the park this past weekend, and we had a wonderful time. We stayed at campsite 11, and we had plenty of room for our two tents, two vehicles, a pup, a toddler, and the supplied picnic table, fire pit, and additional charcoal grill. The one negative about spot 11 is there’s a hiking trail that run directly behind the campsite, so it feels like people are constantly walking through your campsite. Spots 1-10 were definitely a bit smaller, and spots 11-14 are larger. If we were to stay again, I believe we’d try to stay at site 13.

The fishing dock is quite small, but it was fun to fish from with a few people. Be sure to bring bug spray! The worst for me was the biting flies. There is one outhouse-type bathroom near the dock with a spigot and dumpster nearby. There are about 10 steps leading up to the one-person, non-flushing bathroom.

There’s a wood station at the campground that uses the honor system. It’s $5 per bundle. We visited the visitors center in the hopes that they would have live bait for sell, but they sell nothing of the sort (no ice, bait, fishing rods, etc). So bring everything you need other than wood!

Overall, I’d give the campground 4.5/5, and I certainly recommend it! Try to stay in sites 11-14 if possible.

Best Campground on Ocracoke

I absolutely love Ocracoke and Teeter’s is the only campground with power and hot showers. The owner is super nice and prices are reasonable. You can walk everywhere you need to go. Take bug spray! Ocracoke mosquitoes are on steroids. My pup loved golf cart rides around the village

Great Campground Close to Historic New Bern and Tryon Palace

I think this is only the third time I have stayed at a cabin at a campground, and it was all right but I like tent camping better. Because of the intense heat and health concerns, we chose to stay in a cabin here. I wish I had taken more pictures of the campground, but my buddy(seen in the photos) and I are photographers who look for scenes of beauty. It’s not that the campground was not“pretty,” but when you are this close to New Bern, there are better things to photograph. There’s Tryon Palace, Union Point Park, the historic Confederate cemetery, the fireman’s museum, the Pepsi Cola museum(New Bern is where Pepsi was born), etc. The New Bern KOA is perfect in every way. The sites are large with full hookups, Wi-Fi, cable TV, etc. It has all the amenities of a top notch campground that you would expect from KOA. I have stayed at several KOA campgrounds, and they all seem to have the oversized chess; and I have never seen anyone playing it with seriousness. They have two pools, a pavilion, a bouncer… and I could go on and on. IF you want to spend your time at the campground, there is so much to do that you don’t need to go anywhere else… HOWEVER… Did I mention New Bern and Tryon Palace? You can’t come this close to New Bern and not go to Tryon Palace. The campground is located on the shores of the confluence of the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Since they join here, you seem as if you are closer to the ocean. It looks more like a bay. There is a really nice pier at the campground beach for fishing, and the KOA here has outdoor boat rentals. There is also horseshoes, pedal bike rentals… Did I mention there is also New Bern and Tryon Palace? Seriously, the New Bern KOA is about the best campground at which I have stayed, but my buddy had never been to New Bern. There was more to see. If you go, make sure to make reservations. New Bern is a historic town with lots of vacationers during the summer. Looking for something to eat? My favorite place to eat in New Bern was Captain Ratty’s, which has great clam chowder. However, New Bern has lots of other great places to eat as well. The downtown area is also a great area for shopping. Back to the campground… the first time I stayed at the New Bern KOA was over thirty years ago, but it has grown in size and amenities. Now, it is more like a resort than a simple campground.

Only been here one time

I have only visited this campground one time & I did not stay the night! There is lots of space to walk and play, ride bikes, etc. There is a really nice pool with a store up front and they have cabins from what I remember. I would go back again IF I didn’t already live in the surrounding area lol

Not the best I’ve been to

This campground is in an okay location. There is not much to do in the surrounding area and the only thing that I remember them really having to offer is a swimming pool. They had little paddle boats and stuff on the water but I’m not sure if they get used. You can’t swim in the water because it is just too nasty. The tent site we were given was awful. It is very stumpy and bumpy throughout the entire campground. Lots of roots and tree limbs. May have been the worst camping experience of my life.

Awesome campground!

I actually used to work at this campground and in my personal opinion, it is awesome! There is a little store where you can buy drinks and snacks & don’t forget ice cream!There is a game room, a swimming pool and lots of space for walking or riding bikes. There is RV sites, tent sites and cabins. This campground literally has just about anything and everything you could want in a camoground!

Great little park!

The whole park is awesome! Just be prepared to see stinky, brown water lol Definitely suggest showering after visiting here (if you go swimming)

Good

It's not bad, the sites are spacious and level. The staff have been nice and we have had no issues. There is a cool barn and they have live music. They also have a lake, allow fishing and small boats, volleyball court, and some kind of golf course (might be frisbee). We stopped in to see some friends in the area and would return.

See it before it’s underwater

You sleep to the sound of the waves crashing

Great sites on the water

Great sites right on the water . Will need bug spray.

Great first experience

We used New Bern KOA for our shakedown trip with our new RV. Easy in, full service, lots to do. A great first experience with KOA

Great RV camp near the beach.

Great little spot here near the beach. About a mile down the road. Great pool, showers, clean restrooms, secure gated location. Good value.

Great Beach Camping

Drove down from our 4 night stay in Kitty Hawk, took the ferry over to Ocracoke. Tent camped for the night. Our little spot (D25) had a paved drive that I could back into, a grill and a picnic table. So everything you need really. It dog legged off to the right into to smaller trees witch we took advantage of as a wind break.

We walked over the dunes to the beach, water was warm but the surf was a bit rough so I only went out about waste deep (Rip current). Wind was up that day too, a lot of sea shells on the beach if your into that.

Grounds had shower stalls with cold water, no problem for us and they had men's and women's restrooms that were clean and well lit.

We would defiantly recommend this campground and I hope to stay there again some day!

Perfect overnight

All the amenities and friendly staff Got us in ASAP Easy access off 64

I almost don’t want to review

So that it can be a secret. What a magical place. A few great nights at the end of May. Clean bathrooms, refreshing (cold) showers, we were early enough in the year that bugs weren’t a problem (apparently they get wicked in the late summer). Bring a sun shade - even as we were in a more secluded area surrounded by trees we still had a LOT of sun exposure.

Peaceful getaway

The campground is wonderful. There were plenty of spaces available during my stay (6/6-6/9), especially the field lots. If you would like a dunes site, get there just before or at checkout. Also, check the winds before setting up a tent (15mph winds added an hour to set up).

The campsite is very dark and quiet after 10p, which makes it very peaceful. Make sure you have a small flashlight ready for the late night run to the restroom, otherwise you may run into one of the grills.

The park ranger I checked in with was very friendly and informative, letting me know all the rules, including the wood fire ban during my stay. You will be asked to choose a few spots before you set up, so I would suggest looking at the map posted in the photos for possible locations.

The village of Ocracoke is two miles from the campground, about seven from the Hatteras ferry. If you forgot or don’t have room to bring your bike, many places in town have bikes for rent by the day, and many told me I could ride and keep the bike out at the campground.

If you are looking for a getaway from everyday chaos, definitely stay on the island and at this campground.

Best Place Ever

Beautiful and clean. Primitive showers, but hey…You're on an island. Bathrooms, clean drinking water. Can hear the ocean from your site. Markets close by. Delicious fresh caught seafood.

A very peaceful adventure

An independent camping experience. When arriving, drive through the sites to choose a spot not taken. Go ahead and set up so you don't lose your chosen camp appt. Go back to the entrance and fill out the 'responsibility' slip. The camp info is under the covered porch. There is ONLY cool water for showers. It's not so bad considering the heat of the day. We did not use the grill much because it was too hot. There are NO trees so be prepared with an awning or an umbrella or some type of coverage. There were joggers and bikers every day. The bathroom is very simple - A toilet. There is nothing bad to write; however, I was aware of my experience too. Camp web site said walking distance to just things. True but it was to hot Memorial Day weekend.

Fishing Oriented

We stayed at Tranters Creek while we visited Greenville NC for a graduation. The campground was 20-30 minutes from the college so it was an ideal place to stay. There seems to be a lot of permanent type campers set up there and most of the campers seem to be there to fish. The campground itself was clean. The bathrooms were also clean and stocked. Since we were there in early May there wasn't a lot going on but we did stop by the campground yard sale. Overall there doesn't seem to be much to do unless you fish. There is a pier but they don't sell bait at the campground store and you must have a fishing license.

OH! Make sure you adhere to the speed limit!

Can I live there?

Ocracoke was wonderful in so many ways. Huge sites, only sand dunes separating you from the beach. Each night, the crashing surf lulled us to sleep.

The toilets and sinks are in nice, new buildings. Great facilities. The shower stalls, on the other hand, were by themselves, in the middle of each loop. The stalls are not housed in a building, just open in the middle of the field. (Felt like Petticoat Junction, if anyone else is an old time like us.) Water is only cold, we knew that ahead of time. Doors on shower stalls would not lock, and there's nowhere to put your dry clothes, etc.

No shade in the campground,  so prepare to create your own.

We loved it and look forward to returning.

Several ferries service the island. On the south side, two paid ones, on the north side, the ferry is free.

Great family owned campground.

Nice laid back atmosphere. Great amenities such as swimming pool, basketball court, boat ramp and docks. Great fishing at Ophelia Inlet.

Great little hidden spot

Situated on Lake Mattamuskeet, beautiful sunsets. Bath houses on site. There’s even a small boat ramp for small skiffs. Fire pits and wood was provided. There are also camper spots & campers available to rent. Enjoyed our stay. Great fishing in the area.

Great spot to enjoy the island

I camped here for almost a week with a friend and our dogs. The location is fantastic. Everything is walking distance… restaurants, shops and the marina. The owner was very nice and helpful. Be aware the campsites are very close together. The only negative point is that there are just 2 bathroom stalls for the entire campground but they were very clean and the shower has hot water. The campsites on the edges have shade for tents. Each site has a picnic table and a charcoal grill but campfires are prohibited. The RV's are parked mainly in the middle.

Great Experience

We failed to call before closing! Took a chance and stopped anyway. No answer at the after hours phone number! A Huge Thank You To Paul & Linda who were out on their golf cart and stopped, made a call, let us in and showed us where to park. A very nice park, well maintained, all the sites were clean and had excellent shower facilities.

Favorite place to camp!

Absolutely love this campsite! It’s clean, quiet, and the views are hard to beat!