The best GROUP camping near
Aulander , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Aulander Camping Reviews
Don’t consider going if your going to use a trolling motor

After seeing some of the pictures I decided to call them ask how bad all the algae and overgrowth was and was told it was pretty clear. That was not the case, if you don’t plan on paddling with a kayak or maybe a canoe don’t risk it. I was going to take a Jon boat with a trolling motor and there are countless limbs and the overgrowth is terrible you will not make it through. Not the place to consider going if you want to camp out and fish

A decent place to stay

I found this to be a decent campground . I stayed at tent site 12. The site was slightly uneven but it had a fire ring with grate, lantern pole and table. The tent pad was gravel. Water pump, trash and bathroom all in very close proximity. The bathroom was clean and hot showers. Lots of families with children. There are many hiking trails but many were unavailable due to flooding. Trail from campground to picnic area and large grassy field used for relaxing, frisbee and picnics. Phone service spotty at times but not totally unavailable. Overall a decent place to stay.

Get place to get away

Not far from the Roanoke River and right around the corner from Halifax, this spot is perfect for getting away from it all. Walking trails along the mountainside with small bridges over a creek offer a scenic view. Gazebo with grills and bathrooms are located a small walk from the tent sites.

Beautiful! Scenic, Fun and Perfect!

Beautiful location with lots of varied sites. Some are more wooded, some have beautiful water views, all have water and electric, and some have sewage, pump out service is available. Fire wood delivery from Thumper is incredible. People are extremely nice, and we made lots of friends. A beautiful lake, perfect for fishing, tubing, wakeboarding… Has laundry, but machines weren’t great. I was a little worried about the first come/first serve site assignments, but it works out really well being able to choose your site. Highly recommend for singles, couples, and families with children. We brought our boat and the ramp is a bit steep, but the slips were great. Such a fun lake to explore.

Better the second time

We camped here in the winter a few years ago and finally got back out there this last weekend. We brought a kayak and fishing gear this time and stayed 3 days.

The water is amazing! The deepest part of the lake is 9’ so you are able to walk around most of the lake. My kids loved this. The lake is the second largest in NC, so we spent about 6 hours just swimming, fishing and kayaking within eyesight of the dock. If you want to explore more, you need a boat.

I caught 7 large mouth bass and saw a lot of perch. 2 of them were keepers so I want to come back out again just to fish.

The campsite was pretty empty probably because of the heat, but site number 3 was large and had plenty of shade the whole day. The bath house was decent. Very clean and warm showers. The have a sink outside to wash dishes. Fires were allowed and the have cheap firewood on site. The office isn’t far and I had the kids take a wagon to grab ice twice.

Columbia is the closest town that has groceries or anything to eat. There is a back route to the campground from there along the refuge called Newlands Road. We traveled through there on the way back from a grocery run and saw a lot of wildlife including a baby black bear.

There are lots of trails and a boardwalk that is fun. Bring bikes and boats for the real experience. Also, bring bug spray. We had some citronella and mosquito coils but we still had to spray some off.

One of the cleanest pools I have ever laid eyes on.

Tent sites with electrical hook ups right beside the river. There is a fish cleaning sink and a pier to fish from also. Small cabins are for rent here as well. This facility has one of the cleanest pools I have ever been in. Very well kept bathroom facilities with a laundromat as well. Very friendly staff and guests here as well.

Haunted strip of forest

My kids and I had a blast here for three days. It is a very old site that surrounds an amazing lake.

The history being preserved is spectacular. Lots of hiking biking and only about 12 sites. There are boardwalks that meander through the swampy forest.

The water in Lake Phelps is perfectly clear. We didn’t get to explore it much without a boat but there are fish. Also, this lake is close to the outer banks so you can plan to go there as well.

We will definitely go here again and bring kayaks next time.

Lakeside Fun!

Great spot right on Lake Gaston. The little marina is awesome. Everyone is super helpful. There is a great snack bar & store.

We rented a cabin & although it was small, the kids had a blast.

I highly recommend this spot.

Lake Front or Quiet Woods

This was a fun and simple outing. Nestled in the countryside, a very small "Americana" vibing town down the road, boating on the lake, no frills or gimmicky glamping here. This is an RV park for nature lovers or just wanting to be away from hustle and bustle. Young kids may be bored if they do not like to ride their bikes or walk up and down steep streets but it is a nice place, overall. Take everything with you that you may need though. Not a lot of options for food and such to arrive and stock up. I would not be surprised if we go back at some point.

Cute

Cute park with beautiful views