Aulander, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Aulander Camping Reviews
Great campground!

We spent one night here in April. It was great!

There are some pretty easy hiking trails, great for kids. Really beautiful wooded area. The campground was everything you could ask for! Large, level sites that are very secluded and far apart from each other. Bathrooms were clean and well situated. Very family-friendly!

We want to come back soon!

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Touristy but neat

So this campground is pretty buildt up and touristy because of all the things to do around it. It’s got a big water park, cabins, trips down the river you can book, things like that. I personally prefer a little more wilderness when I camp, but it’s a pretty nice place.

The allure here for me was all the things to do around it. There’s the natural bridge which is a cool sight to see, there’s a safari that you can go on to see lots of neat animals, some cool hikes like devils marble yard and ceder creek trail. This area is an awesome way to get out and enjoy a weekend.

Small but lots to do

This is probably our favorite thus far. We like the lake and it’s easily accessible. We’re weren’t right on the water but can see the lake from the camper. It contains putt putt, pool, store, 2 beaches, dock, fishing areas, playground, and tons of shade. We’ll be back!

Nice lake views

Limited sewer hook up. Some sites uneven. Pull through sites available. Staff was wonderful. Stocked camp store, small grill, but great food.

nice family campground

Nice place for families and rv's, stopped here for a night on the way to Colonial Williamsburg well kept nice facilities just a bit expensive for what i needed. Cool swimming area, this seems to be the only decent spot around.

Beautiful sites

First come first serve and we got a beautiful site overlooking the lake. The staff and manager are the friendliest ever. Would definitely come here again

Only been here one time

I have only visited this campground one time & I did not stay the night! There is lots of space to walk and play, ride bikes, etc. There is a really nice pool with a store up front and they have cabins from what I remember. I would go back again IF I didn’t already live in the surrounding area lol

Not the best I’ve been to

This campground is in an okay location. There is not much to do in the surrounding area and the only thing that I remember them really having to offer is a swimming pool. They had little paddle boats and stuff on the water but I’m not sure if they get used. You can’t swim in the water because it is just too nasty. The tent site we were given was awful. It is very stumpy and bumpy throughout the entire campground. Lots of roots and tree limbs. May have been the worst camping experience of my life.

Awesome campground!

I actually used to work at this campground and in my personal opinion, it is awesome! There is a little store where you can buy drinks and snacks & don’t forget ice cream!There is a game room, a swimming pool and lots of space for walking or riding bikes. There is RV sites, tent sites and cabins. This campground literally has just about anything and everything you could want in a camoground!

Good

It's not bad, the sites are spacious and level. The staff have been nice and we have had no issues. There is a cool barn and they have live music. They also have a lake, allow fishing and small boats, volleyball court, and some kind of golf course (might be frisbee). We stopped in to see some friends in the area and would return.

Fun for kids

Nice park. Kids friendly with lots of things for kids to do

Nice camp great for mountain bikes

Nice sites and great for mountain bikers

Meh

The list begins. Camp sites were alright but this place is more for RVs. Hiking was not bad but not very many miles. Outside the park was sketchy so make sure you have all you need.

Perfect overnight

All the amenities and friendly staff Got us in ASAP Easy access off 64

Beautiful Hidden Gem!!

This cypress pond is a great place for anyone! They have a family campsite loop with a nice bathhouse in the middle, they have group walk-in and canoe in campsite and well as family canoe in. They have a fishing area and a on site canoe rental. The Millpond itself is huge!! They use a buoy navigational system on the water. No swimming though due to the huge Alligators that live there. Overall this is an affordable and momentous getaway that I visit every chance I get.

Small but lots to do

Best camping trip

My wife and I booked for four days and the property they have is super nice. On our first day there one of the owners brought us honey from their home apiary! We will be back to camp here in the future!!

Campground with a Different Ecosystem--Woods and Swamp

Merchants Millpond is a great state park if you want to explore a different kind of ecosystem.  The heart of the park lies in its swamps filled with cypress trees and cypress stumps.  There are several camping areas of different kinds.  You can canoe in to one of their primitive campsites, which is on an island in the swamp.  There are other hike-in primitive sites, group camping sites, and there are also the family camping sites.   I stayed at the family camping site and decided to set up my hammock instead of a tent.  If you stay at Merchants Millpond, make sure you take and use insect repellent and lots of it.  I had the biggest problem with mosquitoes and ticks.  If you stay in a hammock, make sure it has mosquito netting.  The family camping sites have tent pads, lantern poles, and fire rings.  The bath house is centrally located within a short walking distance of all of the campsites.  The showers have hot water, but the bath house itself looks outdated.  The canoe-in site that I explored only has a pit toilet, but it did have fire rings and picnic tables.  You can hike to the island by way of a wooden bridge across the swamp, but it is mainly for those who want to canoe in.  If you can go off trail, you can see lots of wildlife.  I had the opportunity to do so since I was invited to participate in a search and rescue exercise.  I only saw one snake, which is unusual not to see more, but I also saw a deer and couple of turtles.  There is a bicycle trail, but the one I hiked on the most was the Lassiter Trail, which has a few wooden bridges and opportunities to experience the eastern woodlands and great views of the swampy millpond.  Fortunately, I did not run into any bears or alligators, which are common in this area.  The visitors center is large and modern, and there is a meeting facility.  The person that I talked to at the visitors center was pleasant and was able to answer my questions.  The staff is great to work with, and I know this because I volunteered to teach camping skills to 4H kids a couple of years ago at this state park.  Overall, it’s a great state park, but it lacks the amenities of modern RV parks.

Fishing Oriented

We stayed at Tranters Creek while we visited Greenville NC for a graduation. The campground was 20-30 minutes from the college so it was an ideal place to stay. There seems to be a lot of permanent type campers set up there and most of the campers seem to be there to fish. The campground itself was clean. The bathrooms were also clean and stocked. Since we were there in early May there wasn't a lot going on but we did stop by the campground yard sale. Overall there doesn't seem to be much to do unless you fish. There is a pier but they don't sell bait at the campground store and you must have a fishing license.

OH! Make sure you adhere to the speed limit!

Nice place for the family

I will start the review by saying KOA is not my favorite. That being said. This was nice for the kids. They liked the pool and other activities. It is in the middle of a bunch of farm fields though. Not much nature around if that is what you like.

Great Experience

We failed to call before closing! Took a chance and stopped anyway. No answer at the after hours phone number! A Huge Thank You To Paul & Linda who were out on their golf cart and stopped, made a call, let us in and showed us where to park. A very nice park, well maintained, all the sites were clean and had excellent shower facilities.

Amazing canpground/park

This was my first time hiking with my teen daughter by ourselves, setting up camp, tent, cooking, etc. Picnic table, fire pit w/grill, level gravel tent pad on site, water spigot and trash can right in front of camp site. Bath house had doors for shower stalls as opposed to curtains, with shelves and hooks for your things. We brought our furbabies with us and we enjoyed 2 or 3 wonderful trails with beautiful views, some rock climbing, just a wonderfully happy place. My girl rode her bike around the campground and it was perfectly safe. I've been waiting to get back for quite a while.

Lots of Great Hiking Trails!

This campground is beautiful for fall camping. There are over 10 miles of trails to hike. We also conoed down the creek. The creek is about 2.5 miles long and took us only 2 hours to paddle. The campground was also very clean!

Great campground!

No cell service! 😀 Clean restrooms, hot showers! Camp host and rangers are great!

Morden campsites, great setup

Updated campsites. Nice setup. Didn't stay long enough to comment more

Could not love this place more!

Went here with our camping and hiking group and also have been here for 2 different festivals with camping - looove it! You walk into the woods which is kept neat and pick a spot to set up your tent - I looove that! Fishing on the lake was a blast! Family owned and operated so they take great pride in making sure you are having a great tie and have all ya need! Camp store, pool, rvs, tents, lake and fishing - everything ya need for a great weekend! and CHEAP to boot! This place is fantastic and just can't be beat!

Great place to spend a week away from the hustle

This is a great location right on Lake Gaston. You can rent a cabin pitch a tent or park in RV

Quiet and easy to find. Staff friendly and helpful. Lots good size

Nice park. It’s not a park with a lot of amenities. No pool, or put put or anything like that.

Stayed here one weekend

Only stayed here one weekend, in the transient section. Nice enough place, just too far out of town for my needs at that time.