The best camping in
New York

Camping New York

No matter what kind of camping you’re into; seaside, mountainside, lakeside, even city side, New York has it all. There’s a countless number of places where you can pitch a tent, park a car, or rent a cabin. Camping in New York also means you’ve always got a ton of activities nearby, like swimming, hiking, fishing, canoeing, even mountain biking.

Some of the best camping in New York can be found in the Finger Lakes. Here you’ll find places like the Hickory Hill Family Camping Resort that offers themed weekends, as well as spa services, mini golf, wagon rides, and swimming pools. One of the more popular Finger Lakes destinations is Watkins Glen State Park, which has 19 waterfalls within a two mile walk. The park also has an Olympic sized pool, hot showers, and restrooms.

Dreaming of city life? The Hudson Valley region offers many wonderful places to pitch your tent. Located near the Hudson River, the towns of Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Peekskill, West Point, White Plains, and Suffern (to name a few) all have great areas for camping in New York. And, they’re all accessible by train to and from the city.

If you’re into small maritime villages on the other side of the Hudson River and the East River, Long Island boasts some of the best camping in New York. On the island, surf-casting, fresh seafood, and sandy beaches are plentiful. If you make it all the way out to the end of the island, a visit to the Montauk Lighthouse, which was commissioned by George Washington, is a must see.

And, if mountains are your thing, head to the Catskills, the Adirondacks, or even Bear Mountain State Park where you’ll find forests, hidden streams, hiking trails, and mountains galore. Whatever your style, you’ll find camping in New York to compliment it. With the Dyrt, you’ll be able to discover just the right place to lay your head for a night, a weekend, a week, or even a month.

Recent Reviews in New York
Beautiful place

Nice and clean restrooms very friendly staff I would come back here again and recommended.

Nice

It was kinda close to other campers. Geared toward more seasonal campers. Covid only allows private campgrounds open so this was nice.

Beautiful Place

I wish I had know the more wooded sites were water and electric.

I had full hookup so it was kinda open for my liking. Enjoyed it tho!

Great River Access

This campground sits on the Schroon River just a few miles north of downtown Lake George and is very easy to access from I-87. They can accommodate any size camper from the 45’ motorhome with 50 amp service to a tent just wanting electric and water. All sites have cable TV hookup and free WiFi at their site along with a picnic table and fire rings. The park is not huge and it was pretty full so it felt a little cramped for us. There were quite a few seasonal people. Some sites back up to the river so you have a nice view. When the park if full, it can be a little cramped for big-rigs to back into some sites, especially the river ones. There are trees to navigate and some of the spots are tight.

Apparently, it is under new management and there are lots of changes that the new owners are proud of. But that also means there is a lot of on-going construction happening in the campground which was pretty annoying. Lots of dust and loud equipment certainly interrupted the thought of a peaceful afternoon outside. Many of the sites in the older section have sand/dirt patios and sandy roads which makes it very dusty. The new area has crushed gravel and lots more room and some pull-thru sites. They have the typical campground amenities like horseshoe pit, pavilion, playground, pool, and camp store. We typically don’t use any of those and they were closed anyway due to Covid-19 safety precautions. Had we stayed longer, we would have taken advantage of the river access and paddled. There is a little beach area and launching paddleboards, canoes, or kayaks would be very easy.  (They also have watercraft available to rent.)  We were more focused on hiking and enjoying the woods.(Recommend the short hike to the“Bear Slide.”)

Some of the things we didn’t like was the sandy/dirt which was a mess when it rained. You are supposed to leave your trash at the front of your site but sometimes it was not picked up until late in the day.  We found the bugs to be very pesky in the evening and didn't want to sit outside. Things we liked it the surrounding location and access to hiking trails and the river. Once the construction is complete and grass takes hold in some areas it will be really nice. Downtown Lake George is only about 4-5 miles away.

Very nice people

This was a great campground and I am sure they do even more when social distancing is not required. I was very impressed that even though our neighbors were loud, they all respected quiet time at 11pm (because it was a holiday).

Come Together with Nature at Cherry Hills

Cherry Hills campground lives up to it's claim to bring you as close to nature as possible. The grounds are well manicured without looking unnatural, the sites are very spacious, and with a number of wildlife feeders throughout, it was a great place to do a little bird watching/photography. As things re-open following the pandemic, I found comfort in the observation that the restrooms were single toilet rather than a large restroom of stalls(even though restrictions denote that I could not use them yet), that the online reservation process was easily navigable, and rates were fairly priced. As an added bonus, the owners waited for me to get in even though it was a little late in the evening, to update me on all the precautions Cherry Hills has taken, not only on their own behalf, but as directed by the state of NY. I highly recommend Cherry Hills and will be back again. Safe Travels!

Beautiful Fall Camping

This park was such a great find. We were traveling I-86 through the area and wanted to spend a few days in the woods admiring the beautiful fall colors and this turned out to be the perfect place to do that. There was just one other camper in our loop (Quaker Section) because we were there the three days prior to the park closing for the season. Even the other loops had just a few campers. It took us three sites to find one that was level enough for our RV but our motorhome is pretty sensitive to degrees of unevenness so it may not be a problem for most others. Our site had 50 amp electric but the hook-ups were at the far back of the site at barely reached. The parking pad was gravel and the patio was grass.

The solitude of this park was great but we can imagine there is lots to do and plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities in the summer. There office/store is not located in the loop we parked in but it was an easy in and out with our 45’ motorhome and tow car. We loved the old CCC building that it was in and the others that exist in the park. Bears are present in the area and bear-proof containers for food and garbage in the campground. Plenty of hiking trails and walking opportunities exist from rustic dirt trails to nice paved paths. We enjoyed the paved areas because rain made the rustic trails very slippery.

There is a nice paved trail around Red House Lake that makes for a pleasant walk(we did have to drive from our campsite to this area). During the summer they rent rowboats, paddleboats, paddleboards, canoes and kayaks for lake enjoyment and there are two sandy beaches where you can soak up the sun after a swim. We would definitely stop here again and spend more time.

Large, semi private sites

Is there anything nicer than the Adirondacks in late summer?  Buck Pond is a quiet, sublime campground about 20 minutes from Paul Smiths College.  The sites are sandy and our site was mostly flat.  Some sites do have an uphill driveway lined with trees.  If you have an RV, looking at the site on ReserveAmerica.com might be the way to go.  We didn't see any sites with electricity and there is one outlet in the bathroom area (I plugged my coffee percolator into this outlet every morning).  The shower could use an update and definitely bring some shoes to shower in and a mat/towel for the floor as it gets slippery when wet.  The bathroom area has one sink with no shelving so carrying your necessities in a shower caddy especially when you have kids that need to brush their teeth.  Sites are large enough to have an RV, a canopy, and a small tent, or several tents.  There is a canoe/kayak rental at the campground as well as a beach.  A place to buy wood on the honor system is a 5-minute drive from the campground, and there is a Walmart about 35 minutes away.  If you eat dairy, you can't miss a drive to Donnelly's Soft Ice Cream where only one flavor is served each day and standing line is worth the wait.  We're looking forward to staying here again, even without electricity!

Maybe a little out of the way from SPAC but worth it

I stay here everytime I go to SPAC for a show. It may be a little further away then the more popular campground but I think it's worth it. Nice and quiet and secluded. The gentleman that runs the campground couldn't be nicer. One time we weren't getting in until 11 pm and he stayed up to make sure we were all set setting up our camp in the dark he couldn't have been nicer. I would highly recommend and am upset that due to the pandemic we won't be staying there this year.

Huge Sites!

The sites at this park are huge. You could have parked three RVs in our site. Added bonus is that there is nice separation between sites with trees and shrubs that block out your neighbors and provide lots of privacy. Pretty much all the sites are the same except that a dozen or so don’t have as many large trees around them and are pretty open. The angled sites and wide roads make backing in very easy.

There are closer campgrounds to the town of Lake George but none of them are as nice and the sites are so much closer together you feel like you are camping with your neighbor. The large pool(a.k.a.“Aloha Beach Tropical Swimming Pool”) is the major attraction for this park. It is touted as the largest heated campground swimming pool in the northeast and features caves, waterfalls, waterslides, led lights, swim-in theater for nighttime movies, and cabana rentals. It was closed while we visited due to the Corona Virus but I’m sure it can get quite busy in the summer. Attached to the pool is also a café serving lunch and dinner which is convenient for being at the pool all day(but it was also closed during our stay). If you want internet, bring your own because there in none at campsites. I was able to use my Verizon hotspot which worked fine. There is a cable hook-up at each site. I was able to use my roof-mounted satellite dish and get reception but that would not be true for all sites. The bathrooms and laundry were clean but laundry costs were high at $3.50 for a wash and $3.00 for a dry. The park is very large so if you want to be near the pool/entertainment area or nearby bathrooms, pick your site accordingly. The park has a nice camp store with everything from t-shirts to RV supplies to food. You are allowed to bring a golf cart or rent one from the campground so watch out for the flurry of golf carts driving around(especially those operated by teenagers). If you need propane, there is a very convenient fill-up as you enter the campground.

Nearby is good hiking in Adirondack Park where trails range from easy to difficult and have some great views of the lake and surrounding area. The Inman Pond Trail(about 15 minutes north of the campground) is a nice easy walk in the woods which takes you to a pretty pond good for fishing and a great place for my dog to swim. Others like Pinnacle Trail and Buck Mountain have great views of the lake and surrounding area. This campground does come with a high price tag. It was $66/night during the first part of our stay but them jumped up to in-season rates that were $99/night plus $20/night because it was a holiday weekend(and they consider the Thursday before Memorial Day part of the holiday). We did get a 20% Covid-19 discount because many activities were cancelled and the pool was closed but that is still pretty steep.  Their price for firewood is $9 for an average size bundle but there are plenty of places along Route 149 with better prices.