The best WALK IN camping near
Brushton , NEW YORK

Most Recent Brushton Camping Reviews
Quite and really nice scenery

Located far out in nature, the views are breathtaking. Owner was really nice and helpful.

Giant waterfront sites!

Beautiful and roomy site at 19. Unfortunately it was too cold and stormy for us to get our boats out on the water but we are looking forward to getting back here for the easy water access! Bathrooms are clean. There’s a beautiful accessible site at this campground and also a nice pavilion if you need to take a break from the weather. We didn’t get to go but they were showing movies the weekend we stayed, which was a fun family touch! Overall, we were very happy with our stay and want to return.

Busy, but that lake and the loons!

Most of the campsites at Fish Creek Pond are along the waterfront, offering easy access to the pond. Some campers even build temporary docks that they leave behind for subsequent campers. Most of these sites are huge and provide areas that are relatively flat, even if some parts slope toward the pond. Sites in the low 130s tend to be narrower. The sites ring the pond; at night you can see the lights of campers on the opposite bank and listen to the call of the loons. At 10pm, Taps will ring out to mark the beginning of quiet hours. The firepits are deteriorating and do not have grates. Mine was half filled with debris, ash, and the previous campers discarded food.

Bathrooms throughout the campground provide toilets and running water in old CCC constructed buildings that have been renovated somewhat and are clean, but small with a single sink. They also come with a warning not to leave items plugged in because of risk of fire or theft. A newer, large, centrally located bathroom provides showers.

The day use area and beach were closed for the summer of’20 due to COVID-19 restrictions.

There are two entrances to the campground, but one of them is closed in the evening. Depending on the direction of your arrival, you may need to continue past the first entrance you reach. Signs will direct you even if Google doesn't!

There’s a trading post just over the bridge from the campground where you can buy gas, necessities, order a sandwich, pizza, or barbecue(daily menu posted in back by the deli). In the parking lot out front, there’s an ice cream truck that’s open in the afternoon. If you’re looking for paddling maps, check behind the counter at the trading post or at nearby Hickock Livery.

There's a bike trail in the campground and you'll see lots of kids on bikes. In addition to the numerous paddling opportunities in the area, several of the surrounding towns have created hiking challenges featuring 3-9 easy to moderate peaks in their vicinity. Tupper Lake offers not only a hiking triad, but a paddling triad. The reward for completing each series is a patch. Occasionally a single bar of coverage on Verizon, very spotty and random, so I left my phone on airplane mode most of the time.

On my last morning, I finally spotted through the mist the loons that had entertained me with their calls throughout my stay - 6 of them!

Nice location, could use some refreshment

This campground is just south of Lake Placid. Located near a main road, street noise is a problem, but it’s hard to beat the low cost proximity to Lake Placid and Saranac Lake if you want to explore the towns. The sites in the center of the loop are more open; if I had a larger rig, I’d stick to that area. Some areas get a little tight and the website doesn’t provide vehicle length information. I tried to take pictures of as many of the sites as possible. It needs an overhaul…the bathrooms were on the grungy and worn side.

There’s a trail to Scarface that leaves from the campground. Like many of the towns in the area, Saranac has a hiking challenge. Complete 6 hikes in the area and earn a patch; Scarface is one of the 6. The first part of the trail also takes you to a river for fishing. In addition to the Olympic sites in and around Lake Placid and Whiteface, I found some geocaches and discovered the John Brown Farm State Historic Site, which was open for exploration. It was interesting to learn a little more about the man behind the raid on Harper’s Ferry.

Hikes abound. There are numerous boating opportunities in the area. Next door is a barbecue place that seemed to be busy.

I’d probably limit myself to a day or two here and then head to some of the other campgrounds in the area that offer more direct access to the water or trails, but as I said, it’s a nice base for Lake Placid and Saranac Lake, just understand the trade-offs and you won't be disappointed.

separated sites, quiet, clean

My family has been camping at Rollins Pond for years.  With the coronavirus concerns, they have made changes to their cleaning schedules and social distancing rules.  While there this year, my site was right across from one of the bathrooms.  They were there at least twice a day to clean them and they did a great job with keeping the facilities clean, minus the usual bugs and spiders you find in them.

Adk paradise

Quiet, clean park. To get to this campground you enter Fish creek park campground. Sites are large, wooded, most on the water. I stayed in the “a” section which is the southern side. Very quiet. No cell service. Saw many dogs. Mine loved our own little beach at the back of our campsite. Perfect for paddleboards, canoes, kayaks (these can also be rented at the boat launch)Bathrooms are so clean! Have already booked a site next summer

Amazing campground

get one of the spots right on the lake!

I loved this place

If your looking for a good campground in the Adirondacks, look no further. This place is it ! You hear the word “pond” and you might think of a small body of water however this “pond” is massive. It’s more like a lake. There are many campsites along the water. One in which we had. It was nice splashing around in the water right at our campsite. Even better was watching the sun set over it. The campground offered canoe/kayak rentals. We rented one for an afternoon and paddled around. Again this pond is soooo large that we didn’t even make it as far out as we wanted. Not too far outside the campground is a little local store where you can find many necessities. While we were in the Adirondacks we visited White Face Mountain which had a lift to take you up the mountain. It was amazing. The very top though is significantly colder so maybe bring a sweater. We also visited several small towns and shops, played some putt-putt and went toured the Winter Olympic museum.

Great park!

We love coming to Higley. Always at least once a year. Really nice sites that are private and easy to back into. Great playground for the kids, hiking trails and more. I also cross country ski in the winter and the trails are fabulous!

Nice but not the nicest NY State Park

This is a HUGE state park campground with 355 sites (although a number of them were being restored when we were there). Most of the sites are on the lake; some have more of a direct view while others have a filtered view through the trees. The sites are very close together and some have trees to provide privacy, but many do not. We were fortunate to have an empty site on either side of us, otherwise it would have felt very crowded. Site 27 did not have an obvious “driveway” and it looks like the last rainfall caused the person in this site to get stuck in the mud as tire tracks remained. The sites are also littered with pinecones and tree roots, so you must be cautious not to trip on them. The bathrooms are clean but small and don’t have air dryers, hooks, or garbage receptacles. The showers had been shut down for the season, but we received a phone call in advance letting us know of this and the alternative available showers in a nearby park. There is one garbage/recycling area in the park. There is a paved roadway that goes all the way around Fish Creek Pond and Square Pond, making it good for bicycling or walking. Nice amphitheater. Also saw basketball and volleyball nets plus a very small swing set