Whitney, NEVADA

Most Recent Whitney Camping Reviews
Beautiful and ugly

We just finished up a five day stay over Thanksgiving weekend. The weather was cold and rainy the first couple of days but warmed up afterwards to a beautiful finish.

The views are just gorgeous, camping is available right even down to the beach. We camped about 100 yards from the beach. Lots of camping spaces available, it is primitive camping. Most of the area is fairly flat. It is a bit Sandy so be careful but we didn’t have a problem getting our fifth wheel toy hauler down there. Keep in mind if you’re going to be operating ATVs of any type they do need to be street legal and insured. There are tons of trails that take you all over. Super fun riding and lots of great views.

If you’re a lightweight camper you can take any of those trails and find yourself a super remote place to camp. I wouldn’t recommend pulling a larger trailer on them though. I would stick to the main road and camping areas if you’ve got a trailer that’s anything more than a single axle.

Park units and RV Sites

There are big double wide and park unit houses in addition to RV spots against the fence and facing the lake.

Some of the photos of the spread out sites and tents are actually of the campground next door.

Park units and RV Sites

Great trees and sites!

It didn’t have full hookups, but there was water, a dump site and fire pits. Some other campers ran there generators too late and too early, but it was a beautiful site with wonderful shade and eucalyptus trees.

Easy night at 6 mile

6 mile cove was pretty nice, it had plenty of layout to avoid immediate contact with people. It truly is about 6 miles from the road down the power line road to get there. Pretty washboardy. Jumbled up the pod a little ha. There was 3 bathrooms vault style. A huge dumpster that gets maintained. It was a Sunday night we stayed and it wasn’t crowded. 3-4 groups of people. Beach front, but WATCH FOR ALGAE. green floating stuff in the water. Stay away from it. You’ll thank me later.

New favorite place

This place is awesome! Great hiking, clean bathrooms and showers. $20 for camping

Stayed here for 4 nights Amazing good sized spaces w full hook up Friendly Pools are nice clean laundry and baths! Pet runs

Boondocking

Basically the whole road is campable. Wash, little trails, back in areas, little pull outs. All kinds of places. Quiet and dark. Few people travel the road. There is 5G service as long as you stay on the highway side of the hill.

No resources whatsoever. 100% off grid.

Viva Valley of Fire!

Incredible campsites tucked away among the rocks have shelters and an amazing place to watch the light of your campfire flicker across the nearby giant towering rocks that your campsite is nestled amongst.

Amazing lakeside spot

I really hate to do a review of this spot as it will bring in more people here, but this spot is absolutely beautiful, we are right on the lake, kiddos are swimming every day all day, the 80° temperature is cooled by the lake breezes. We have been visited by coyotes, a great egret, roadrunners and numerous other crawling creatures. I'm glad I took the chance driving the 2.5 mile washboard road to reach this little section of paradise.

Government warrrsh

I’d give it 2 1/2 stars. Here on Veterans Day which happens to be on a Monday…. packed full. I decided to take the R-pod down a hill to the waters edge to get away and there were still people. LOTS OF TRASH. And I can’t stand that. Picked up a full garbage bag in a very short distance. The stars are for the water, and free camping. Easy access too I guess. Photo from my bed window tho.

Beautiful place

Beautiful spot amazing views and cold clear water…such a relaxing place. Sprinter van made it in n out no issues.

Our Go To spot when around Las Vegas

I love the canyon and mountains here. There’s hiking nearby farther in the canyon and has never been an issue finding a spot for or Sprinter here.

One of the nicest parks I’ve camped in!

PROS: • Restrooms w/ flushing toilets • Showers w/ hot water • Parking within your site, loved the proximity • Faucet w/ running water on site • Fire pit w/ removable grill • BBQ grill • Covered picnic bench • Covered metal garbage cans walking distance from your site • Pet friendly • Visitor Center driving distance from site (within park) w/ items i.e. fire wood, fire starters, etc. • Lots of hiking trails to choose from! We drive to all of our trails

CONS: • You have to be very patient to score a site. The sites are first come, first served — no reservations and the signs have always said that the campgrounds are FULL when I go here, apparently they’re not. My gf had gone earlier to the park bc I had to work and she had to scout for a spot. Initially, she was not able to find anything so she went for a hike then returned and scored a spot. Patience is key! • RE sites 16 or any that are up against a boulder. These sights are like megaphones. Everything said and done in these sites could be heard from very far distances. Night 1; musicians graced our ear drums with guitars sounds and singing. Night 2; family tortured our eardrums with their screaming child (sound echoed!) and conversations that had TMI written all over them. This is me venting but just be aware if you’re staying in any of these spaces and don’t be a d*€% in general :)

Overall: love this place! Great for beginners in the world of camping. It eases you into it (w/ the access to toilets and showers) rather than straight roughing it off the bat.

Amazing lakeside spot

Great campground close to LV

Love this campground. Easy access from Las Vegas, but feels a world away. Lots of big trees and bushes make the campground feel like an oasis. I’ve come out here on holiday weekends and was always able to find a site. Many of them have great views. The sites over looking the wash allow you to hear a river while you sleep! At night I’ve always heard coyotes and owls. Access to Lake Mead is a 15 minute drive away. Restrooms are flush facilities and clean.

Family fun

This campground is run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is open to church members and their families. There are two large camping lawns you can rent out large enough for family gatherings. The cost is $100/night but you take the whole lawn, which is quite large. There are two swimming pools which are fed by the hot mineral springs. One of the pools has little fish that like to come kiss your feet as you sit. They have tubes you can use to float down the river. Bathrooms and changing rooms are available but I didn't see a shower. No bikinis are allowed or other swimming attire showing the females midriff. If you can't make it to camp, they have open swim on Thursdays for $3 /person. The facility burned down some time ago and the church has been working hard to get it up and running again. Great fun place to bring your family and have a reunion

Not dispersed, not open

We went here hoping to find free camping—it was the end off September and they were closed. It is now a private campground and we would have had to pay if they’d been open.

The staff and accommodations are fantastic!

The staff is always been helpful and amazing! The pool is always super clean as well as the bathrooms and the laundry room. You could not ask for a better place to stay!

Wow!

Beautiful campground in the midst of beautiful rock formations. The night sky is amazing from here, especially considering how close Vegas is with all its lights. A couple of bathrooms are shared while each site has a picnic table, shade structure and fire ring.

Clean and dispersed group sites

Little breezy so we flew a kite. We loved it

Okay for a few days

Honestly, we chose this RV park due to proximity to the Cummins facility. I don’t believe we will choose this park again.

Pros:

Gated. Full hookups.

Cons:

Proximity to Nellis AFB flyovers. Started at 7 am and were on/off all day. If you want a place to sleep in, this is not it. I love planes and jets, but this park is on the flight path.

Everything, except for convenience stores and gas stations, is at least 3-5 miles away: grocery stores, restaurants, etcetera.

Bad part of town, hence the need for security gates.

A severe tire damage spike strip is installed to keep vehicles from going the wrong way. And it is at the sharp left turn to exit (with an RV space across the way). There has to be a better way.

Speed bumps are throughout park. I hate this trend.

Not necessarily big rig friendly if you have a full side slideout. Could not use awning because tree butted right up to the slide.

Very Clean grounds and restrooms

Couldn't get a camp site at Red rock campground, or Valley of fire so we "settled" for this campground and glad we did. Even though the RV campgrounds are next door almost every one was in a trailer. But all was good because quiet time came and all the generators turned off. Park Rangers patrolled and we friendly and bathrooms were spotless!!!

Surrounded by Red Rock and Beautiful mountains!

This campground is located across the street from the beautiful Red Rock Conservation area. It is a semi flat desert area this many tent spots (single and group) and some walk in for late comers. Reservations are recommended because in our experience it fills up fast.

Beautiful, Camping for all types, great hiking and visitors center

We had always heard how wonderful this place was and we made a point of staying here after a trip to Utah and Arizona.  We stayed in late October, weather was very nice.  Both of the campgrounds are in the red rocks and most sites you get to park your rig or put of your tent right in them.  Some sites have electric service.  This was (in October 2018) all first come first served, and it is VERY POPULAR.  So, you have to wing it and show up and hope for a site, and this is after you pay to get into the park.  It was so worth the visit, the environment is picture perfect everywhere.  There are a ton of great hikes and if you take the road up past the visitors center you can hike “the wave” see photo below, and potentially see lots of big horn sheep, including males with the large head racks.  This was such a great visit, I hope to go again, and spend more time.

Second time camping at Macks

Had a great time both times I’ve camped here with friends. The dirt road takes you far out of the way and away from everything. Some of the sites are situated on the side of mountains so the views (especially at sunset) are breathtaking. Sites are spacious and set far away from each other. Very happy with these sites. Great place to disconnect. Very primitive. Make sure to take all your trash out with you. Gets windy at night so stuff can blow away.

Great low price

Stayed 4 days. Had a premium back in site near restrooms paid $25 nightly for full hookups. Some sites as low as $15 nightly. We found this downtown Vegas location to be a great close to the action RV site. Quite stay, super clean bathrooms and laundry room. Must register through the front desk inside the Main street station Casino. Staff very friendly, I would definitely stay here again.

Scenic, next to trails

We stayed in #7, out of 11. Nice, clean flush toilets. Power only. You cannot beat this for a staycation out of Vegas. 110 in town, 83 during the days here. Near road but barely noticed the traffic. It is next to the flat, interpretive trail Acastus Trail that lead to the Visitor Center and across from the Fletcher View trail. This spot had a raised picnic area with bbq and fire pit and place for a tent too. We loved it.

Wallace Canyon Rd

Started in Parump on Wheeler Pass Road and headed up Northeast until the Wallace Canyon Road turnoff. Beautiful desert drive that ends in pines. Saw close to ten mule deer off the road. Could probably make it was 2wd but better off having 4x4 with decent clearance.

Amazing experience

Sites were nicely spaced and al had water. There were walking sites available also. Shower/ restroom lights were very dim so bring a headlamp or flashlight at night. Also be careful of wasps nest on the rock formations.