Great Basin National Park, NEVADA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Great Basin National Park Camping Reviews
Cave Lake

Despite the name, there is are no caves that one can see at the lake. This lake is a very small hidden desert treasure. There is a lakeside campground with few campsites that fill up very quickly. There is also BLM land 20 minutes from the lake where you camp disperse camp for free.

There are toilets, and showers available at the campsite. Dogs, fishing, and boats are allowed. Along the backside of the lake are the best spots if your looking to let your dog off of the leash to play in the water, or be secluded in the soft grass and shade of the bushes.

This is a nice family spot to spend the weekend. It gets very crowded very fast so be sure to leave early if you want to stay at one of the lakeside campgrounds. All roads are paved.

Great Secluded Spot out in the Boonies!

This is one of my favorite spots to camp out in the west desert!  Marjum Canyon lies just north of Sawtooth Mountain and the enormous cliff of Notch Peak which rises out of the valley floor 2000' feet!  Within Marjum Canyon itself there are also numerous single and multi-pitch climbing routes There are a couple of small pull-offs of the main canyon road that leads to very primitive campsites and even a hobbit hole that was walled in by a hermit that lived in the area for 20 years!  There are no amenities here so bring all the water you need and haul out all of your trash.  There is also no cell service out here so bring a spare tire, let someone know where you're going, and have an emergency beacon just in case!

Spacious

As the connotation infers these sites are large and clean. Paved parking, dedicated tent sites, picnic tables, fire rings and bbq. Clean, well maintained pit toilets. Set in a well treed area with a creek on either side of the loop. A few pull through spots and a few tent only spots makes a well rounded campground. The stars are amazing!Lehman Cave as well as Wheeler Peak are just minutes away. Hikers rejoice. We volunteered for a project on Public Lands Day and also squeezed in some pine nut harvesting. At $23 a pound who wouldn’t? The weather was iffy for our first time here. Rain, wind and snow with a few sunny breaks. We would definitely come back, but maybe a little earlier in the year next time. FYI, this park seems to always be needing camp hosts. Hint, hint.

Amazing Facility

Sites are situated near the creek and no matter which one your at the bathroom is just a short walk away. Even though it’s a pit toilet the bathrooms are cleaner and smell better than some of the flushable toilet bathrooms in other National Park Campgrounds. This is my fourth time staying at Great Basin and I have loved all the times. Highly recommend site 3.

Spacious, clean, quiet by a creek.

All sites are first come-first served (no reservations). But given the remoteness of the park, there were open sites all week.  Most sites are separated by trees, creating a back-country feel (as opposed to a crowded Nat'l Park).  There is a nice creek along one side, enhancing the camping experience.  The whole site is spacious.  The picnic tables are smooth concrete, not splintered wood.  The tent area is flat and level.  The bathroom vaults are the cleanest I've ever encountered.  Overall, the perfect setting for a great week.

Nice but still hot

First off, all the facilities were super clean. Showers were cold and the area doesn't have much shade. They also no longer have a firewood pile to take from so make sure you bring your own. It's a nice distance between Comins Lake and Cave Lake. Handicap spot was concrete and helped my son traverse around the campsite.

Baker creek, June, 2019

We loved this park, Great Basin National Park and all the hikes were amazing. The campground was beautiful but our particular campsite #5 was not the best. The place to set up our tent was very small and sloping down. It was so windy that our tent would have blown away had we not tied it to the tree. No showers, no flush toilets, but clean. Picnic table and fire ring were good.

Who knew...

Beautiful National Park that I’m glad I finally took the time to stay at. Got the last spot on a Tuesday, perfect pull through next to the creek. Which by the way was awesome to sleep and listen to. The stars are amazing. Nice peaceful Camp ground plenty of privacy. Clean vault toilets and water that had a boil warning. Unfortunately snow prevented us from seeing the Bristlecone Pines-they asked us not to hike without proper footing. Just another reason to return. Out of the way destination but well worth it.

Great free spot.

Was passing through planning on camping at Great Basin but I wasn’t to hip on spending the $15. Got a recommendation from the local store clerk to check out the Sac Pass Rec area and I’m glad I did!

Pulled in around 9pm so it was dark but looking around in the car wasn’t bad. Their are around 7-8 camp sites around the pond with covered patio, table fire pit and grill. You can follow the road back into the BLM land even further for camping and lots of activities.

I have Verizon and their was No service, also I didn’t use the bathroom there st the park but their is one near the entrance and lots of trash sites. The place was very clean and felt safe and kept up.

Better than expected

I was apprehensive after reading reviews for this campground about how unlevel the sites were. We travel and sleep in our 17 foot van without leveling blocks so we need a level site. Yes, some were not level (but many of those were tent sites) but we found many that were just fine! Site 1 was very level (and could accommodate a large RV). Probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen! Many sites had lots of privacy between them. We were there at the end of April so many roads and hiking trails were not yet open so we toured Lehman Caves which I highly recommend (reserve ahead of time at Recreation.gov). All tours were booked for a Monday in April (when we booked day before, there were still plenty of openings). Limited or no cell service.