About Atlatl Rock Campgrounds - Valley of Fire State Park

World-renowned for its 40,000 acres of bright red Aztec sandstone outcrops nestled in gray and tan limestone, Valley of Fire State Park contains ancient, petrified trees and petroglyphs dating back more than 2,000 years. A Visitor Center provides exhibits on the geology, ecology, prehistory and history of the park and nearby region. The park also hosts an Annual Atlatl Competition in which participants test their skills with replicas of ancient spears. Open year round, the park has numerous campsites equipped with shaded tables, grills and water, as well as many intriguing trails to tempt hikers.

Valley of Fire Camping: There are two campgrounds with a combined total of 72 units. Campsites are equipped with shaded tables, grills, water and restrooms. A dump station and showers are available. All campsites are first-come, first-served. A camping limit of 14 days in a 30-day period is enforced.

RV Camping: RV sites with power and water hookups are available.

Group Area: There are three group areas, each accommodating up to 45 people, though parking is limited. These sites are available for overnight camping and picnicking by reservation only. Call the park for reservations.

Fee Info
First come, first served except for group area which must be reserved.
Atlatl Rock Campgrounds - Valley of Fire State Park is located in Nevada
44 Reviews of Atlatl Rock Campgrounds - Valley of Fire State Park
Quick Getaway from Vegas City

I live in Vegas so this campground is super convenient. The only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because there is no natural water source and cell reception (for Verizon) is very spotty. I do like how they offer WiFi for around $8 a day. I know I know, camping is to get away from social media meh - well I often camp alone so it’s nice to kill a few hours surfing the internet after the day’s adventure is done. I also find myself researching things I discovered throughout the day of exploring the area. Anyway, the individual campsites are amazing and clean - great fire pits, and each site has its own water spigot too. Last thing I’ll leave you with is it is often “FULL” so if there isn’t anything available just head to Stewart’s Point on Lake Mead.

Beautiful but loud during weekends

This campground has plenty of sites but it fills up fast on weekends and holidays. It can also get pretty loud before quiet hours hit.

It’s the only campgrounds within the park, so call the rangers ahead of time to check.

Stunning Campground

We got our first travel trailer last Friday and that same day we hit the road!

Atlatl Rock does not take reservations, so we took a gamble by making the trek out to find a spot. All of the signs leading to the campground said full but lo and behold there was a single spot just waiting for us to arrive. We hooked up and were climbing surrounding rocks within 30 minutes of arrival. Sites include a covered picnic table, bbq and fire ring. Restrooms with showers are close by no matter where your site is.

Our first morning at the site we loaded up and headed into the Valley of Fire. Epic views, great trails and amazing petroglyphs. The kids thoroughly enjoyed all of the sites and had a great time poking around at the visitors center.

I highly recommend Atlatl Rock - especially in the spring and fall months as it gets blazing hot in the summer.

One of the nicest parks I’ve camped in!

PROS: • Restrooms w/ flushing toilets • Showers w/ hot water • Parking within your site, loved the proximity • Faucet w/ running water on site • Fire pit w/ removable grill • BBQ grill • Covered picnic bench • Covered metal garbage cans walking distance from your site • Pet friendly • Visitor Center driving distance from site (within park) w/ items i.e. fire wood, fire starters, etc. • Lots of hiking trails to choose from! We drive to all of our trails

CONS: • You have to be very patient to score a site. The sites are first come, first served — no reservations and the signs have always said that the campgrounds are FULL when I go here, apparently they’re not. My gf had gone earlier to the park bc I had to work and she had to scout for a spot. Initially, she was not able to find anything so she went for a hike then returned and scored a spot. Patience is key! • RE sites 16 or any that are up against a boulder. These sights are like megaphones. Everything said and done in these sites could be heard from very far distances. Night 1; musicians graced our ear drums with guitars sounds and singing. Night 2; family tortured our eardrums with their screaming child (sound echoed!) and conversations that had TMI written all over them. This is me venting but just be aware if you’re staying in any of these spaces and don’t be a d*€% in general :)

Overall: love this place! Great for beginners in the world of camping. It eases you into it (w/ the access to toilets and showers) rather than straight roughing it off the bat.

Wow!

Beautiful campground in the midst of beautiful rock formations. The night sky is amazing from here, especially considering how close Vegas is with all its lights. A couple of bathrooms are shared while each site has a picnic table, shade structure and fire ring.

Beautiful, Camping for all types, great hiking and visitors center

We had always heard how wonderful this place was and we made a point of staying here after a trip to Utah and Arizona.  We stayed in late October, weather was very nice.  Both of the campgrounds are in the red rocks and most sites you get to park your rig or put of your tent right in them.  Some sites have electric service.  This was (in October 2018) all first come first served, and it is VERY POPULAR.  So, you have to wing it and show up and hope for a site, and this is after you pay to get into the park.  It was so worth the visit, the environment is picture perfect everywhere.  There are a ton of great hikes and if you take the road up past the visitors center you can hike “the wave” see photo below, and potentially see lots of big horn sheep, including males with the large head racks.  This was such a great visit, I hope to go again, and spend more time.

Amazing experience

Sites were nicely spaced and al had water. There were walking sites available also. Shower/ restroom lights were very dim so bring a headlamp or flashlight at night. Also be careful of wasps nest on the rock formations.

Gem

This one fills up fairly quickly I went the first week of May 2019 I showed up around 10am and about 7 spot were open I set up a chair and payed for my spot. When I came back in the afternoon all were filled with many late comers making the rounds. The campground setting is neat with beautiful red rocks surrounding you. Bathrooms were clean and showers were available. Great state park with lots of fun hikes.

Hidden gem

This is a tiny State Park that you can spend a couple hours, a day or a week exploring. Scenic drive is spectacular. Endless red rock formations and slot canyons to explore. I was here end of December, which is considered a popular time to camp here. It was busy. Comfortable camping. One of the campgrounds even has showers. Some really cool spots tucked deep in the rocks. My spot had a level gravel camping pad and a covered picnic table. Evidence of big horn sheep all through camp. Great hiking, views, petroglyphs, dog friendly. Hard to believe it's an hour from Vegas!

Very clean, well kept. Get there early before 9. They fill up very fast!

Beautiful views all around the campgrounds. Get there early, they fill up very very fast. I showed up at 9:30 and barely got a spot!  Completely worth the early showing though! And good price at $10 to get in the park and $10 to camp per night!