Fires Unknown
No Water Hookups
Sand Mountain is located in Nevada
2 Reviews of Sand Mountain
Noisy but beautiful

Sand Mountain is an awesome experience… however- this is not a quiet and peaceful desert camping trip. 90% of the folks visiting Sand Mountain are OHVs… all of whom like to drive their buggies up and down the dunes ALL night.

We hiked the dunes in the evening when it was cooler, and had to make sure we flashed our headlights so that buggy drivers could see us. DO NOT HIKE without a light. It would be very dangerous.

The campsites are scattered, don't drive too far off into the sand or you will get stuck. Stay close to the main road/compacted areas. The sand is decently flat to set up a tent. No hookups.

Free entrance on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Fees apply at all other times.

Sand between my toes

Playing on the go karts dirt bikes four wheelers and dune buggies was fun and exilerating. But my favorite part was exploring this 9000 year old dried up lake bed. Watching the blue butterflies that only live be there and no where else in the world made me feel as small as the specks of sand in this big place. Also there is the old station for the pony express which I found especially interesting. Rich in history and family fun.