Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 50 ft.
Eugene T Mahoney is located in Nebraska
27 Reviews of Eugene T Mahoney
Love, hate

I have a love, hate relationship with this park. There are things I like, and things I don't like. There is plenty of things to do. Swimming and slides at a pool, paddleboats, fishing at some spots, bicycle rentals, ziplines, rock climbing, and other similar activities. However there are no tent camping, and the spots are not level, and are small. The place to me is not relaxing and not quiet, and everytime I have been there it is always packed. I will say I am probably to only in my family that feels this way. So if your more of an outdoors men type of person you probably will feel the same way I do. But I would not dismiss the idea of going to this park.

Don’t Look Any Further

This was a great place to find! Close enough to Omaha and the zoo, but you really don’t even need to leave the state park to find entertainment! Fishing, paddle boats, pony rides, an aquatic center, mini-golf, playgrounds, and even a ropes and lines obstacle adventure! Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum is also right next door and was a nice place to visit. Full hookups with nice, spacious sites. Could hear the interstate and a train at night, but didn’t really bother us. Everyone here was super friendly. Would definitely be back if headed out this way again.

RV site 133

This site backs to trees. Very skinny pad with a large slope and erosion on the way down to your fire pit. They were trying to get grass seed going, but it was a muddy site after the torrential downpour one night. Won't stay at this electric only site again, but will definitely be back for the park. Workers are so polite and friendly. The park itself is beautiful, gorgeous views, beautiful trails and landscaping with many amenities that should be opening back up this weekend with loosening Covid-19 restrictions.

It’s meh

Our stay was the weekend of Oct. 26. I prefer primitive camping in secluded areas. Not the case here. Sites are small and very close together. Luckily we stayed at the end of the season so the park wasn’t very busy. We did have semi close RV neighbors and their lights at night illuminated our surroundings. It was windy that weekend so the sound of the leaves and Interstate mostly drowned out the sound of the neighbors. Another downside was how close the park is to the Interstate. Park pricing wasn’t bad and staff was friendly and professional. I picked up more trash than we created during our stay, that was unfortunate. Even the fact that someone threw out plastic flower pots, there are dumpsters close by. SMH.

Mahoney

Very well kept park with so much to do!

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hats at Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, NE

Campground Review:

Eugene T. Mahoney State Park in Nebraska is on the Platte River off Interstate 80 about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln.  I will preface the review stating that the review is receiving four stars primarily because of the amenities at the park.  The campgrounds themselves are fairly basic.  There are areas to tent and park your RV within the state park.  The RV campground has about a dozen full hookup sites and the rest of the campsites have electric hookups.  There is not much room between the sites, so you do feel that you are stacked on top of the other campers.  There is a wait list for the campgrounds much of the year.  We were able to score a walk-up thankfully.  The site does have water fill stations and a dump station.  Their shower house is also decent enough.

But, as I said you are not coming here to hangout in the campground.  There is something for everyone at this state park.  They have hiking on paved and un-paved trails, which we utilized both.  There is an activities center for kids to make different arts and crafts.  They have horseback riding, a theater, paddle boating, parks, minature golf, etc.  During the summer you can have fun at the big water park they have on site.  They also have cabins and lodge rooms available for rent.  The cabins book quickly, and can get pricey at around upwards of $400 a night during their peak season for one of the newer cabins.  The lodge houses a decent restaurant with some great views of the Platte River.

At the main activities area they have a massive indoor play area for kids.  This building also houses their new and extremely fun 40ft. climbing walls.  Outside this building during the winter they have a covered ice rink and they also produce their own snow for the sledding hill.  All-in-all it is a nice place with plenty to do onsite.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I occasionally get to test products.  While out at the state park we got the opportunity to test out Banner & Oak hats. https://bannerandoak.com/

My boys and really appreciate good hats.  We found the Banner & Oak brand hats to be really exception hats.

The hats my sons wore were the Banner & Oak Eagle and the Banner & Oak Sierra.  These two hats were made in the United States.  I wore the Banner & Oak Switchback which was not produced in the United States.

All three hats are really quality hats.  The stitching is tight around the sweatbands and the bill, which is usually a sign the hat will last a long time.

The mesh used for the back of the hat appears to be an older heavier duty mesh.  This mesh reminds me of the mesh found in older hats, or the hats of my youth.  I still have a couple of these hats, so this is another good sign of lasting quality.

The overall designs of all three hats are really just cool.  They look cool and they feel cool, and I am really surprised by how much I like the flat billed hat, since I usually cannot stand them.  The boys and I are really impressed with the construction and feel of the Banner & Oak hats!

Lots of fun things to do!

Pros: SO many activities for the kids - water park, ceramic painting, paddle boats, indoor play area, lots of playgrounds, picnic areas for family gatherings, zip lines, horseback riding. Also nice to have bathhouse with shower and flush toilets. Convenient location right off the highway and 5 mins from the Air and Space Museum.

Cons: SO many bugs. Make sure you bring lots of bug spray. RV sites are pretty close together and are very small. Our site only had electric hookups - no water. It was crazy hot and humid when we stayed there at the end of June.

FYI - If you want to stay in a cabin, they tend to book a year in advance.

Comfortable Spots

The camper spots are pretty nice, but if you have not reserved a spot beforehand, get out to the park early as the first come first served spots fill up quickly! Every spot is equipped with a nice fire ring, and there is plenty of scrap wood laying around if you forget your firewood. The only downfall would be the interstate noise. You can hear that all the time while sitting out around the fire.

Great for families!

Superb park for families as there is so much to do! Water park with wave pool and slides, mini golf, paved and dirt walking trails, fun melodramas, zip line course, etc. plus winter activities in the off season. Modern camping with electric at ever site. Updated cabins, and great views in the lodge rooms. Down fall no river access do to railroad tracks, can get pretty busy in the summer, no primitive camping.

Don’t go here

This is the Walmart of camping grounds. The campsites are stacked on top of each other and are always packed!